Smart meters.

Soldato
Either way, best to give your supplier a call and notify them of the PV installation and let them know you've got a mechanical meter. If they're notified, it's them up to them to update it.

The latest smart meters cost nothing to install and are a much neater and give you a decent amount of useful data, so worth doing anyway.
It's also worth the health check on the supply head and meter install.

Soldato
Yep. My meter installer also added an isolator to the supply and noted that the main supply side fuse block was a 60a, which they're in the process of upgrading to 100a as standard. So will be back at some point to replace that.

In a world where everything seems to cost a fortune, it's nice to get some useful improvement work done for free.

Soldato
100% agree bigboy and bug one have both said. Plus you dont want the headache with the supplier if it rolls backwards or records incorrectly due to the solar panels.

Associate
Hope you're well. I'm really sorry for the time this is taking to get this resolved. Our smart team have contacted DCC again to try and get an update, as soon as I have any information I will let you know.

My weekly BS update message from EON :rolleyes:

Soldato
Your meter and IHD should be all up and running now.
My IHD still isn't working correctly. This isn't a pop at you, as I know you've done absolutely everything possible to help me and I do appreciate this.

EDF decided that a new IHD would fix my problem, so they sent me one out. This didn't fix my problem and I am no longer able to see anything at all related to my gas account on the IHD - apparently this is a known problem, with no apparent workaround.

An engineer did visit my property recently, but things remain the same. These are my current problems with the IHD:
  1. The "Electricity supply disconnected" message still shows.
  2. I am not able to view my current prices and receive the message "Waiting for cost now" when I press the Now button to view my current usage.
  3. I am not able to view anything related to my gas supply on the IHD. No usage, historic usage or meter reading are shown. When I press the Electric/Gas button (third button from the left) to switch between the gas and electric, the IHD doesn't show the gas side of things. It's as though it doesn't exist or acknowledge it.
I'm not at all chuffed, especially after waiting in half a day for an engineer to do what I feel was nothing and the best part of an hour on the phone to a smashing agent who did everything he could. Needless to say a complaint has been raised - not about any of EDF's staff, but the smart meters and IHD.

Soldato
My IHD still isn't working correctly. This isn't a pop at you, as I know you've done absolutely everything possible to help me and I do appreciate this.

EDF decided that a new IHD would fix my problem, so they sent me one out. This didn't fix my problem and I am no longer able to see anything at all related to my gas account on the IHD - apparently this is a known problem, with no apparent workaround.

An engineer did visit my property recently, but things remain the same. These are my current problems with the IHD:
  1. The "Electricity supply disconnected" message still shows.
  2. I am not able to view my current prices and receive the message "Waiting for cost now" when I press the Now button to view my current usage.
  3. I am not able to view anything related to my gas supply on the IHD. No usage, historic usage or meter reading are shown. When I press the Electric/Gas button (third button from the left) to switch between the gas and electric, the IHD doesn't show the gas side of things. It's as though it doesn't exist or acknowledge it.
I'm not at all chuffed, especially after waiting in half a day for an engineer to do what I feel was nothing and the best part of an hour on the phone to a smashing agent who did everything he could. Needless to say a complaint has been raised - not about any of EDF's staff, but the smart meters and IHD.
I really am sorry to hear that bud, the hardware and infrastructure is so restrictive it's all down to the government and how the DCC was set up, tbh the use of the 2g mobile network was very short sighted as it's just not cut out for any level of data transmission.

All you can do is keep on at them, we (EDF) have a massive push to get more meters on the wall and problem Triage is such a new thing the department is tiny. So much more needs to be done in the back ground now it's being most large suppliers as customer numbers being so large cause a massive headache!

Soldato
So, getting pestered by latest provider (Shell) to change my electricity and gas meters to smart ones. I've kept putting it off...

What's the current thinking on the wisdom of going smart with these meters?

Ta...

Soldato
No reason not to change your meter, as I've said before in this thread, it's not just about the meter but a whole install check up.

For the electric, making sure the supply head is safe, meterboard is not degraded, supply and CCU tails are in good condition.
And the gas, visual inspection of all appliances attached to gas supply, integrity/tightness next of the pipework, removal or lead pipe or outlawed fittings, meter brackets (legal requirement) and a general upgrade.

Soldato
Currently with Eon Next and in order to get their best fix, you need a smart meter.

Is this just a ploy to get everyone onto smart meters so in the future they can then charge you more at peak times?

Soldato
Currently with Eon Next and in order to get their best fix, you need a smart meter.

Is this just a ploy to get everyone onto smart meters so in the future they can then charge you more at peak times?
No.

Scroll back through the thread this question has been answered hundreds of times already.

Suppliers don't want smart meters, they are a massive drain on resources for them and cost a fortune to install and maintain.
The government want smart meters as a way to prove carbon footprint.

Soldato
No.

Scroll back through the thread this question has been answered hundreds of times already.

Suppliers don't want smart meters, they are a massive drain on resources for them and cost a fortune to install and maintain.
The government want smart meters as a way to prove carbon footprint.
And yet the best deals are locked behind a requirement to have one, with the cost of the installation passed onto customers within their cost of energy.

If there was nothing sinister then surely I should want one and not be feel pressured to have one in order to get their best fix.

I guess time will tell if those with smart meters are later penalised at peak times.

If I was renting or living somewhere short term I wouldn’t mind but I don’t intend to move house any time soon so I’ll be refusing a smart meter for as long as it’s optional.

Associate
All you can do is keep on at them, we (EDF) have a massive push to get more meters on the wall and problem Triage is such a new thing the department is tiny. So much more needs to be done in the back ground now it's being most large suppliers as customer numbers being so large cause a massive headache!
It's not just you. It took 4 months of regular pressure on Octopus before they sent an engineer to fix our smart meter that hadn't worked reliably since install 9 months earlier and had finally stopped logging or transmitting any data.

Said engineer snipped the tamper cable, took the top off the elec meter, waited a couple of minutes, put it back on and everything was fixed. Then told me how to do it if the problem happened again.

2 months on and it's all still working okay, so fingers crossed. 1 out of 10 for Octopus though - at one time their customer service was better than other suppliers, but not any more.

Soldato
Hundreds of times, in this thread? I read back and I can’t see any previous response in this thread discussing this particular issue.
Sorry not just this thread but the other 5-10 threads that have asked the same questions over and over again. I get board of answering..

Back
Top Bottom