Smoking should be BANNED!

Caporegime
Some people really don't understand why I created this thread. Firstly it was because I was bored and this was on my mind so thought it would be a successful thread, which it is. 7 pages and people have had a topic of discussion!

Secondly, I really don't mind people smoking in public. I really don't.

The thing that I am bothered about is the fact that you smoke where your not supposed to. Next to doorways where EVERYONE walks through and also at my work, right below my open window, which states in the rental agreement that all smokers should do so AWAY from the building. You do it next to the building.

You can't follow these rules so you should be made aware of this. Possibly by a fine or ban smoking altogether.

You really wouldn't have liked my old work place...the owner of the company used to walk around with a fag on the go inside...all the time practically.

Then when the ban came in, he was kind enough to hang his arm out the window :p

But if it seriously states on your contract or whatever, to not smoke near the doorways or the building...then take it up at your next review / or tell your boss / superior.

Soldato
OP
You really wouldn't have liked my old work place...the owner of the company used to walk around with a fag on the go inside...all the time practically.

Then when the ban came in, he was kind enough to hang his arm out the window :p

But if it seriously states on your contract or whatever, to not smoke near the doorways or the building...then take it up at your next review / or tell your boss / superior.

Am doing.

We have security on the door so I have their number as soon as I have a wiff of smoke.

Had the window closed recently though as it's been cold so can't spoil their party :(

Associate
In brief,
Smokers damage themselves over a period of time, they can also cause health problems for passive smoking people around them - Over a period of time.
Drinkers damage others around them straight away, they cause millions of pound worth of damage over the period of a couple of days. Drinkers drive and kill innocent people everyday. Smoking drivers generally a more chilled while driving thus not killing innocent people.

why pick on the smokers, if they want to kill themselves slowly them surely that's up to them, drinking is more anti social nowadays than smoking and causes more immediate problems than smoking could ever do, but lets jump on the smokers back instead.

I think some people (In here as well) need to get over themselves.

I smoke and do not feel the urge to go a batter someone, drive my car into a bus stop full of children or smash the place up. Same CANNOT be said for the majority of drinkers nowadays. Go figure. But hey lets ban smoking cos it smells and will kill you over a period of years.. :mad:

Soldato
The thing that I am bothered about is the fact that you smoke where your not supposed to. Next to doorways where EVERYONE walks through and also at my work, right below my open window, which states in the rental agreement that all smokers should do so AWAY from the building. You do it next to the building.

You can't follow these rules so you should be made aware of this. Possibly by a fine or ban smoking altogether.

If I may make a suggestion, be a little more clear with what you are saying. You continually refer to the people who bother you as "you" therefore implying all people who smoke when that is quite obviously not the case.

Name your thread more appropriately, simply calling it "Smoking should be BANNED!" does not help your cause, maybe something like "Why isn't the smoking ban enforced?" would be better.

Caporegime
In brief,
Smokers damage themselves over a period of time, they can also cause health problems for passive smoking people around them - Over a period of time.
Drinkers damage others around them straight away, they cause millions of pound worth of damage over the period of a couple of days. Drinkers drive and kill innocent people everyday. Smoking drivers generally a more chilled while driving thus not killing innocent people.

why pick on the smokers, if they want to kill themselves slowly them surely that's up to them, drinking is more anti social nowadays than smoking and causes more immediate problems than smoking could ever do, but lets jump on the smokers back instead.

I think some people (In here as well) need to get over themselves.

I smoke and do not feel the urge to go a batter someone, drive my car into a bus stop full of children or smash the place up. Same CANNOT be said for the majority of drinkers nowadays. Go figure. But hey lets ban smoking cos it smells and will kill you over a period of years.. :mad:

lul wut?

Seriously, I'm not taking sides, as I know loads of smokers, actually, MOST of my friends smoke.

I for one, do not drink and drive, if I go out with my car, I prefer to not even bother having anything, not even a shandy.

The bit I highlighted, I laughed, I really did. How on earth can you justify that? I'm trying to not make this sound like I'm being arsey / annoyed by the way, so my apologies. I go out and drink, and have a good time, I certainly don't go out and batter people that's for sure (Where's all this come from anyway?) I despise people who go out drinking, and ALWAYS end up in a fight, they pretty much have issues.

Indeed though, drinking damages peoples health just as much if you take it for granted, as there are no immediate effects, same as smoking I guess, other than a sore throat when you first started perhaps.

I see your frustration anyway, it shouldn't be banned, it's just a silly statement, people just don't like the smell I guess...like me, luckily my friends are kind enough to hold the fag away form me and blow in the other direction. :)

Soldato
To be honest, anti-smoking/anti-fat/anti-muslim threads are almost a bi-weekly occurance in GD.

Getting tiresome now - nobody seems to have any originality left.

Caporegime
If I may make a suggestion, be a little more clear with what you are saying. You continually refer to the people who bother you as "you" therefore implying all people who smoke when that is quite obviously not the case.

Name your thread more appropriately, simply calling it "Smoking should be BANNED!" does not help your cause, maybe something like "Why isn't the smoking ban enforced?" would be better.

True :)

But then again, they are outside...soooooo.

As I said earlier, maybe they should put yellow painted boxes outside every doorway :p So they have to stand outside the area...hah, my that would look hideous.

Caporegime
I'd be quite happy if they banned smoking and alcohol. And cars actually. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Reason?

Alcohol has been around for many years, with no problems. Same with smoking actually.

Cars are fine as well, just theres so many people on the road for no good reason, ie mothers driving kids to school etc...When there are perfectly good buses in most areas. (Yes, some people live waaaaaaaay out in the sticks, so they HAVE to be driven in)

When I used to work in a town near me, when half term was on...guess what...the roads where damn clear, literally...when schools back on you may as well slap me in the face, it's pretty much the same effect :p

Associate
Delvis - A bit general I know but my point is this. I as I am sure many others feel the same, do not feel intimidated so much by smokers as I do drinkers. Hostility from drinkers is far far worse than that of smokers. Again generalisation at its worse I guess but no worse then the OP and the rant about smokers. The majority of smokers are considerate to non smokers, I know I certainly am. I am concious of where I smoke and even where my smoke is blowing, whereas all inhibitions are lost but the majority of drinkers nowadays and as such the mental limitations and considerations of drinkers are way less than that of a smoker.

Caporegime
Delvis - A bit general I know but my point is this. I as I am sure many others feel the same, do not feel intimidated so much by smokers as I do drinkers. Hostility from drinkers is far far worse than that of smokers. Again generalisation at its worse I guess but no worse then the OP and the rant about smokers. The majority of smokers are considerate to non smokers, I know I certainly am. I am concious of where I smoke and even where my smoke is blowing, whereas all inhibitions are lost but the majority of drinkers nowadays and as such the mental limitations and considerations of drinkers are way less than that of a smoker.

That's cause they're drunk....You don't HAVE to get drunk you know :p (Not you I mean)

Have you ever taken a fag away from a smoker? Or hidden they're fag packet actually? It's like they just lost a part of they're lives, they almost break down, then get violent. If someone takes my drink, it's like..."oh, where's it gone? Oh well I'll live =/".

Meh, I'm different to a fair few people anyway in my way of thinking, so no biggy :) Long as I don't have someone blowing smoke in my face I don't really care to be honest.

I prefer the smoking outside in pubs, it's actually more sociable I find, people talk more randomly.

Associate
Agree with your last statement mate, I do not smoke in doors. I don't smoke in my house either. Smokers and non smokers in enclosed spaces is a little unfare on the non smokers but it gets me when people spurt about banning smoking everywhere.

Soldato
OP

It wouldn't grab the same attention then :)

Associate
The desire to ban anything you don't like, agree with, or understand, is part of the worrying development of a control obsessed state.

Example 1

We should ban personal ownership of PC's that use in excess of 110% the energy requirements of an 'average' PC. This saves energy and lowers emissions and is therefore 'good'.

The government will define (via a committee who have no interest in PCs) average as the ability to perform basic internet and work processing functions. What else would any normal (majority) person want to do with a PC, can't you see the damage done by excess energy consumption?

Example 2

Let's ban any car that offer power/performance in excess of 110% of average - defined in a similar way as above. Only 'fat cats' and 'rich people' would want a 'gas guzzler', can't you see the damage done by excess energy consumption, you are killing all the polar bears etc.

By promoting the 'ban it' mentality you are contributing to a lower quality society where difference is not tolerated and mediocraty is expected.

However unpalatable you might think it, the 'i don't like - ban it' attitude are part of the range that includes terrorists - people who wish to remove your ability to live your life as you see fit, without damage to others.

Please expand your horizons to understand why Voltaire said what he did about freedom of expression

Associate
Ban beer, ban larger, ban vodka, ban whisky, ban ppl with B.O, ban pubs, ban swimming pools, ban gyms, ban roads, ban cars, ban lorries........

need i go on ? :rolleyes:

Hit the nail on the head there, there are lots of thing in the world I dont like, but I dont go round trying to ban everything. one thing I really dont like is people that moan all the time unless they get everything they way they want!!

Soldato
I agree, but why stop there. I think we should also make illegal shouting, driving, farting, eggs, scampi fries, camp people, people called Todd or Jessie, cats, dogs, the school run, cold calling, noisy children, drunks, singing happy birthday in restaurants, complaining about the weather to name just a few.

People have bad habits. If you can't stand bad habits stay indoors.

Back
Top Bottom