SMP Guide

Soldato
Ladies and Gentlemen, the SMP Guide Website

www.aeternum.co.uk/smp/smp.html

Just a few notes about the site:

1: It isn't quite finished. There are still a few tweaks to make here and there. Mostly little things and most people probably wont notice.

2: The current design is not permanent. Although for the aesthetic types among us it may please you to know that the current colours are all complimentary to each other. I am not sure what the new design will look like but I will make sure it is still easy to read, clean and sexy :p

3: The Links link doesn't work yet. Will make a page with all SMP related links.

4: I will be adding a new section "Windows SMP". It may shock you to learn it will be about the WinSMP client and its quirks.

5: I haven't seen this in Windows IE yet. So if it doesn't look right... get a better browser! :D

If there are any IE-related issues it will have to wait until next week. I am busy getting ready for my trip tomorrow.

For those who want to follow the guide offline then this is the link for the new PDF.

http://www.aeternum.co.uk/smp/SMPGuideVer1.0.pdf

As always if you find something wrong let me know.

Last edited:
Associate
Put me down as a tester for the native version if you like, as I've just persuaded my Iwill Zmax to work with Ubuntu.

I am a novice at Linux, so I should be able to point out if any steps aren't particulary clear on the quide as well.

Associate
I just installed Ubuntu natively (on a dual-boot) a few days ago, and I've got a Nvidia 6600GT, so I could maybe help as well, if you like.

Cheers,

Kinnison.

Soldato
OP
Excellent!

I have never seen the NVidia stuff mentioned here so I really have no idea if it will work. I would suggest you don't make too many changes to your installation as there is a chance it could screw it up :p

Soldato
OP
I have been delayed in my work on the guide today so I can't say when it will be done. I will let you all know in a few hours whether to expect it today or tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the offers of help guys :D

The finished guide wont be ready until tomorrow evening. I had hoped to finish it today but my laptop has been having issues and has monopolised my time while I have been fixing it.

Soldato
Come on SB - pull your finger out :p

About to get kicked out of top 30 so an addation 1.5k a day to hold off Concord rules would be nice. Or 2.5k to hold of Neil even better (like that going to happen)

By end of the week I'll have three C2D at my disposal and without a little help all will be running standard clients :o

Soldato
OP
Ahh hold yer horses!

My laptop is important as i use it for a number of important stuff, not to mention my parents use it too. It has only just come back from repair and there was no way I was going to give up on it and end up sending it back for another week!

I am free all evening so I should have it done :D

Soldato
When ever your ready SB, no pressure - I've no chance of holding them off what ever I do :D

I stomped Concord and Neil many months ago when the farm was 24h and SMP was just entering Alpha (was quite smugly if I recall :D ) so It's only fair that the tables are turned. In fact I think SMP has readdress the balance back towards pc enthusiasts again and make for a much better competition.

As ever real life first and folding before that [joke] :D

Soldato
OP
I have finally finished the SMP Guide! It has taken me the best part of 3 hours to do it all because OpenOffice is a bit dodgy sometimes. Spent probably at least an hour sorting out what OO messed up lol!

Anyway. I have made 3 versions of the file which can be downloaded from my server:

EDIT: Guide has been updated, only available in odt format for the moment [OpenOffice format].

www.aeternum.co.uk/SMPGuideVer0.5.odt

The formatting is likely to be a bit choppy in places, but it is only where I have been moving stuff around. So expect a few large gaps in the middle of pages and so on!

I don't know what the .doc version will look like as I haven't tried it in MS Office myself yet. It should be okay though - I didn't do anything fancy in OO.

I am very happy with the guide but I do have some reservations about the NVidia section. Anyone who has an NVidia card and doesn't mind possibly trashing their Linux installation please sign here :D. Everything else should work, but we shall see when you guinea pigs are let loose with it.

The reason for the Word/OO versions is that this guide is destined to be a webpage. However I didn't want to keep you lot waiting so knocked up those copies firstly to give you a chance to test it, and secondly to see if the formatting and structure works well. Assuming it does - making it a webpage will be fairly simple, if time consuming.

If there are any mistakes in the guide or you have a suggestion on how to improve it then please let me know in this thread.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
The formatting looks just fine in MSO 2003. Excellent guide, sir. Thank you for the service.

EDIT: You might want to change "However, this is a small issue as all the major distros have their own versions of the apt-get utility."

For accuracy's sake only Debian-based distros use synaptic. It would be more correct to say "However, this is a small issue as all the major distros have their own package management systems."

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@billy

Well spotted mate. Wasn't entirely happy with that sentence myself but I didn't much care at 2am :p

I have made a note of it and will update the guide tonight.

EDIT: As an aside, have you heard about what Linspire are up to? http://www.cnr.com/index.html

If successful it wont matter what version of linux you run as that software will work. Basically it is a step forward in making linux more standardised when it comes to installing software.

@Shadow

I hope your son gets better. Unless he is putting it on, in which case I hope you catch him drawing spots with his mums lipstick :eek: :D

Last edited:
Associate
I used your guide to install FahMon... had a few troubles at first :-

The command "bunzip2 < fahmon-2.1.5.src.tar.bz2 | tar xf-" didn't work for me, I had to run "bunzip2 fahmon-2.1.5.src.tar.bz2" and then "tar -xvf fahmon-2.1.5.src.tar" but no biggy..

Then "scons" wasn't installed... I went into the Synaptic Package Manager, and seearched for scons, and installed it that way.
Scons then installed fahmon with no problems. The only other thing I would change is that the fahmon executable file is in the "src" directory under FahMon.

So you should have "cd ~/FahMon/src" then "./fahmon"

At least I have it working now !! (Although it doesn't give any points, or estimated time of completion!)

I might try the Nvidia stuff if I'm feeling brave later! But, TBH, I've had no problems with screen resolution or anything, so I've not found the need to install Nvidia specific drivers so far.

Cheers,

Kinnison.

Soldato
Followed guide - failed again, didn't even get over the first hurdle this time.

Oh and add this at the start of part2 as I missed it first time through because to said skip all part1 ;)
Open up a Terminal Window by navigating to Applications > Accessories > Terminal or by clicking on the shortcut.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@kinnison

I will check the command and see if I have mistyped it.

As for scons, it was already installed on my Ubuntu system. I will add it to the guide though.

The ./fahmon is indeed in the src directory. I added the cd ~/FahMon bit as the user may not already be in the src directory in future when they want to start FahMon. I just forgot to type /src at the end.

All of the above have been noted and will be added to the list of changes.

@Shadow

Good call. I think I will add a little section at the start of the guide which goes through some basics including how to open a Terminal Window and so on.

Without wanting to go off at a tangent, is there any particular reason why you failed to get this going shadow?

Thanks for your input guys. Keep it coming.

I am still after someone who can test the NVidia stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom