• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Soldato
First review/benchmark I've seen on the new processors. We should start seeing more reviews over the coming week or 2.

Seems promising - very surprised that the x86 emulation isn't trash (based on his limited testing).

Soldato
OP
There are a few personal reviews online now from customers getting them yesterday/today. It seems they are living up to expectation.
I didn’t think they would but am pleasantly surprised. Will wait for more reviews but it’s looking like a decent contender for people who want to use Windows or Linux.

Soldato
OP
Really? Looks like a slower less stable version of a windows notebook for 2-3x more money.
It's faster than the latest AMD and Intel notebook CPUs, while using less power. No idea what you're comparing it too.

Obviously software is in its infancy but this is the future for laptops unless x86 magically becomes more efficient. Apple have proved as much.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
OP
Its awsome, i haven't actually tested it but its awesome, here are some slides from Qualcomm.

Seriously.....
Looks like those were his tests? I generally dislike his content as it's surface level, but it's the only one that outs at the moment.

Already seeing other creators doing live reviews so we'll have broader coverage soon.

Soldato
OP
Apple can tell developers exactly how to code for their new platform to use the dedicated accelerators that apples chips include. Good luck telling every windows or Linux developer out there that they need to code a certain way just to benefit a tiny market share.

"Efficiency" isn't what is holding x86 back, and modern x86 and arm chips barely look any different in terms of design. Intel or AMD could bung a load of fixed function accelerators onto an x86 chip the same way Apple have, but without software support you end up underwhelming outside of a carefully handpicked selection of benchmarks.
Apple have the advantage of "1" hardware target, whereas Windows and Linux need to support a wider variety of hardware.

It took Intel over a year to sort out their scheduler to use e-cores in Windows, and I bet they still don't have it figured out. You can write the best code, but if the underlying system can't execute the code efficiently, it's no good.

x86 is a more complicated instruction set and will struggle to outperform ARM. Intel and AMD are 100% going to be producing ARM processors in the near future.

Edit: One big difference is Apple has the benefit of SOC, which does have an advantage.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The second part is another good point, why would i want a laptop that because of the hardware that's in it might not be compatible with what i want to do? I don't even think about that with X86.
If the hardware is adopted, the software will follow.

Anyone who bought an Apple Silicon product in the first year or two was running a lot of their apps on Rosetta; Windows has Prism for the same scenario.

Thanks to Apple a lot of software vendors already provide ARM builds; whether Windows for ARM is any good is a different story. As a software developer, why would I buy and Intel or AMD laptop when I can have a better experience with the Snapdragon?

Soldato
OP
You must see the difference between Windows and Apple as a platform. You can’t point at Apple and use them as an example of what the future of computing looks like.
They are very different, and had Microsoft been the first the adopt ARM, I doubt we’d have such a rich ecosystem of ARM-native apps.

Having a walled garden has its perks.

Soldato
OP
And this is the problem. People need to choose ARM over X86 in huge numbers and right now (outside of Apple) that requires making sacrifices.

I could pay £1500 for this ARM notebook and deal with headaches on Windows or £1500 for the latest AMD U APU and pretty much have an issue free life plus better performance on any flavour of OS I like. Windows/OS+ARM+(Insert manufacturer) have to beat that.
As with anything, it's going to depend on the individual.

I fully expect my desktop to remain on x86 for years to come, but I don't see why I'd pick x86 over ARM for work/laptop use (ideally Linux). Not saying people will pick these up today; the software, in typical MS fashion, looks buggy as hell; but in a year or 2 (assuming steady improvement) these will be great options for software development, light office use, creative work, etc.

Soldato
OP
Kinda wierd wording that, no one is being asked to pick X86 over ARM, they are being asked to pick ARM over X86, what does ARM offer that X86 does not? I can list reasons why to pick X86, i can't list any reason to pick ARM, can you?
Again, it depends. Cloud providers are asking people to pick ARM over x86. Apple is "asking" people to pick ARM over x86. All of your mobile devices are picking ARM over x86. There's clearly an advantage to the IS that cannot be served by even the latest AMD and Intel x86 products.

x86 isn't going away, but soon you'll have options. Why would I get an x86 laptop for work when I could have a quiet and cool laptop that performs well on battery thanks to the ARM architecture? A lot of creators moved to Apple for similar reasons.

Soldato
OP
Why are you surprised? You shouldn't be.

@Mesai is adamant that you should buy one of these over an x86 laptop, because they are better in every way.
Where did I say that? I'm saying it's a positive option to have, and it'll take at least a year or 2 before it becomes reliable enough for the average user.

If you want an x86 device, then buy one, but if I have a MacBook for work because you can't get a Windows or Linux device with comparable performance without sacrificing battery and heat. If AMD or Intel magically improve x86 to a point where it can achieve something similar, I'll gladly buy one, but it's more likely to come from an ARM-based chip.

It's weird that you're freaking out about having another option.

Soldato
OP
Considering we have been having the RISC vs x86 debate for the past 30 years at least, with the "consensus" being that small/simple is better than large/complex and will definitely win the battle... in the near future... I'm not going to get overly excited by this rerun :D
I think the difference here is that ARM is already widely adopted, possibly more so than x86.

Soldato
OP
ARM can't do anything that X86 can't and X86 can do it all just as well, if Microsoft want to support specific fixed function extensions Intel and AMD could easily do that with X86, i'm sure both Intel and AMD have made such suggestions themselves.
So why, after all these years, hasn't MS made said improvements? We just got these ARM processors, running on a beta OS with beta drivers, and it's equalling/outperforming the latest offerings from AMD and Intel.

If MS could achieve what they wanted with x86, why don't they? They could just partner with AMD or Intel if there plan was to take on Apple. Would save them a ton of trouble in terms of compatibility.

Soldato
OP
Where is it outperforming AMD/Intel?
Plenty benchmarks show them trading blows, and this is on beta software. Also, when you consider performance per watt, it's a relatively easy win in most areas. About the only place it doesn't matter is for general desktop use where you're always plugged into the wall.
ARM is not equivalent to X86 in this case. Can we at least face reality please.

Windows greatest strength is also its biggest weakness. Windows offers a broad compatibility. The downside is to have this broad range of compatibility, you have to compromise, hack fixes and workarounds together. In the case of Windows it’s lasagne of fail has been built up and added to over decades. The challenge for MS would be peeling back all those layers and start exposing more of the hardware capabilities to the user and that would get rather topical very quickly.
Agreed, and I don't expect x86 to die off for exactly this reason. There's a large market that Microsoft can eat into and this enables that move.

Again, I'm not advocating for either side. I'll gladly use Zen 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 200 in my desktop as long as the support is there, but I can never go back to an x86 laptop unless they can compete with the equivalent ARM offerings.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
OP
For me ARM on Windows has to make the argument for why I would pick it over something like a 15 watt Ryzen APU that’s very well supported across a host of operating system and applications. Not only that but, ARM would also have to stand up on stability, performance and price. Otherwise I might as well just cough up for a Mac.
That's why I said it needs a year or 2, as did Apple Silicon. I've used a Windows laptop with a low power Ryzen APU and it just doesn't stack up anywhere near what the MacBook is doing - the IS just doesn't offer the same levels of effeciency.
Platitudes.
But fact.

Soldato
OP
Josh did an excellent livestream last night. Well worth a watch, as he goes beyond the normal "lightweight office apps" scenarios. Lots of issues along the way. I sat through the whole thing live - was a lot of fun. Basically, avoid these systems for now, until things mature and we get to see the new stuff from Apple, AMD and Intel that will release over the next 3 months or so.

I watched the same plus a bit from another creator and they were getting software updates mid testing; also mentioned several in the days leading up.

The whole release has felt rushed and x86 emulation, which wasn't a long-term issue for Apple, is going to plague them until enough apps have native builds.

Soldato
OP
Except you aren't going to get native apps for the entire back catalogue of Windows apps!
Emulation HAS to work, and HAS to work well, as people still rely on old software (and indeed old PC hardware) - not every piece of software is going to either be recompiled, or has a viable alternative that can be used.

It's a far cry from MacOS where the most commonly used apps are the ones that come with the OS, and a handful of big name apps from big name publishers (like Adobe, and even Microsoft)
I expect that the emulation is only going to be geared towards newer apps. Older x86 apps will forever live in the x86 platform, which is fine as it isn't going anywhere.

If Office, Adobe, various developer tools and languages, etc. have native ARM builds, that's a relatively large and varied audience to capture.

Soldato
OP
That are already very well serviced with a raft of products at various price ranges.
Serviced but not very well serviced - plenty room for improvement as can be seen with the MacBook.

An x86 laptop is never going to give you all day battery life for anything other than basic web browsing. It's also never going to not overheat and generate noise under heavier workloads.

Soldato
OP
And currently neither is a Snapdragon Elite laptop :)

Remind me what the point is then?
Like I said, 1 to 2 years of development to see what they can make of these chips. x86 will never get there, at least not easily, whereas ARM implementations have already proven what's possible.

Assuming the software ecosystems gets the necessary development, there will be a large audience for these products.

Soldato
OP
I have, and i have watched reviews, i see no reason to switch to ARM and lots of reasons to stick with X86.
I can't imagine many will make the switch until the software is there.
I'm more excited for Lunar Lake in a few months time -
I've lost track of their naming, but the latest core ultra whatever seems to have got something right. They've been promising improvements for a while now and Lunar Lake could be a real contender if the support is there.

Back
Top Bottom