1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

snooker cue tip sizes?

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by jesta, 26 May 2006.

1. jesta

Mobster

my snooker cue tip needs replacing,i was looking at some tips on websites and saw some that says 11mm,10mm or 9mm. i was wondering what does these mean?does this represent the cue with this diameter is suitable for it?

2. G|mp

PermaBanned

I always buy a mil over what ever the end of your cue diameter is

That way you can shape the tip to how you like it afterwards, i prefer a slight overhang

3. jesta

Mobster

i dunno what size my cue is?i tried measuring early but it must be my old age(im only 16 years old!!!),i cant tell if its 10mm or 9mm.

4. G|mp

PermaBanned

If your 16 im betting you've got a ruler somewhere in the house :)

5. jesta

Mobster

yeah i have its right next to me but cos of my constant wrist exercise i cant really see clearly. :p blurry vision you see :rolleyes: :p

6. G|mp

PermaBanned

Dude !! Too much info man :o

7. jesta

Mobster

lol.anyways how much would it cost for a set of 4 tips from a shop like JJB??

8. SCM

Hitman

If you are a member of a snooker club ask them if they do a tip replacement service and leave it up to them to fit the right one for you.

SCM

9. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

I did this when I lived in Bournemouth. It only cost £2 :cool: Unfortunately the place shut 3 days later and the ******* sold off all the cues to pay their debts :(

10. G|mp

PermaBanned

Dunno man i used to pay about 50p each in this sport shop in Wolves

Try and get Blue Diamonds or Elt masters,the BD's are harder the elt masters are more for pool cues :)

11. jesta

Mobster

oh cool.will probs go for the blue diamonds if they sell em as i do like to hit the ball quite hard :p is there actually much difference between cue tips?

12. G|mp

PermaBanned

Well yeah softer ones will wear down quicker, like i said you want blue diamonds
    for snooker and the elts for pool, i play both so i use elt masters i find i get more
    control with them, although if i play too much snooker they wear down quickly :)

13. jesta

Mobster

oh right...cool. i hope jjb will sell Blue Diamonds or i will have to settle with some of there cheapy stuff :rolleyes:

14. pmbuzz

Wise Guy

You mean ELK Masters surely.
    :)

<--- Snooker Club Manager

;)

Average tip size is 10mm, it's much easier to put a larger tip on then trim it down to size.
    I sell Elk Master tips for 50p each, email me your address and i'll send you a couple.

15. G|mp

PermaBanned

Aye, apologies im kinda drunk :)

I cant seem to get them anymore neither if i drop you a mail and a couple of
    quid send some over this way an all :)

16. pmbuzz

Wise Guy

Will do matey, Email in trust.

17. G|mp

PermaBanned

Sweet :)

Mailed you

18. jesta

Mobster

cheers for the offer but need a new tip for tomorrow really cos playing tomorrow at like 10.30am and my tip is proper worn down. when i need some replacement i will remember to mail you for some :) how long does a tip like elk masters last?i know it depends how often you play but how long would it last say if i played once everyweek for 4hours?sometimes hit the ball with quite a bit of power :p

19. pmbuzz

Wise Guy

A few months at least.

Although, different players go through tips at differing rates, for instance my brother goes through one tip every two or three weeks or so, yet another guy who plays at least twice a week has had the same tip for almost TWO YEARS !!!

20. jesta

Mobster

yeah i was talking to my dad about duration of tips,etc and he said when he used to play snooker his one lasted him 2 years aswel!he played quite often aswel!guess he doesnt like hitting the balls that hard like me!!! :p
    then again he was quite good(use to get breaks of 60 consistently aswel) but im shocking...not very good at angles so dont get the balls in which is frustrating as my positioning aint that bad.