Snow Sports Thread 2018-19

Soldato
Zell am See is a great resort/place - the town is v chocolate-boxy, if that's the right phrase, v picturesque. The local mountain is nice with tree-runs and on the same pass you can get over to Kaprun's Kitsteinhorne for free (about 30-40mins on a bus, i think). It's a glacier, so a lot higher up and amazing views on a clear day, with v open faces and quite different to Zell. So, if the local weather isn't great then check the conditions at the Kitsteinhorne and pop over ;) - it's literally 2 resorts in 1.

And covered by the same lift pass. Might check it out purely for the viewing platform at 3000m+

Soldato
Found some options for Val d'Isere (near the Funicular) and Courchevel 1650. Which do you think is better for a one week snowboarder? Doesn't have the highest of confidence (previously a black run skiier but had a major knee operation after a skiing accident and switched to boarding to help rebuild confidence).

Associate
tbh, far prefer Tignes side of Espace Killy to Val D, especially for boarding. Dunno why, just find Tignes more boarder friendly and Val D more skiier.

Courchevel 1650 is right over to the far side of the 3 valleys - I've stayed there and 1550, and tbh, 1550 was a little better as it was just easier to get over to more fun areas (but, I guess it's also down to how close to any lift you are). Shoot me, but I prefer Espace Killy to 3 valleys - personally just find the runs in 3 valleys are quite open and exposed to wind, meaning any fresh snow is blown away easier - fine for skiiers, but a waste for boarders ;).

In all honesty, they're both good resorts and with good mates, they're both ace.

Soldato
tbh, far prefer Tignes side of Espace Killy to Val D, especially for boarding. Dunno why, just find Tignes more boarder friendly and Val D more skiier.

Courchevel 1650 is right over to the far side of the 3 valleys - I've stayed there and 1550, and tbh, 1550 was a little better as it was just easier to get over to more fun areas (but, I guess it's also down to how close to any lift you are). Shoot me, but I prefer Espace Killy to 3 valleys - personally just find the runs in 3 valleys are quite open and exposed to wind, meaning any fresh snow is blown away easier - fine for skiiers, but a waste for boarders ;).

In all honesty, they're both good resorts and with good mates, they're both ace.

Cheers!

Seems really difficult to find a cheap deal this year. Got a week in chalet for less than £500 in previous years.

Associate
only thing you can guarantee is prices going up...

past years have had some pretty poor snow, so that kept interest and prices down. This year had a great start to the season (especially Austria) so I guess there's more demand and thus higher prices. Also raising flight prices bumps that up... And higher lift-pass prices... Little price increases here and there soon ramps up the total cost a fair bit.

when are you thinking of going and from what airport?

Dont rule out Morzine/Avoriaz and they're ace for boarding too. Or even Austria, which could be cheaper than France - Mayrhofen???

I've had deals in the past from sno.co.uk and igluski.com (and then there's the usual Crystal etc.)
or make your own searching for chalets in resorts and then bensbus/skiidygonzales/etc. for transfer and skyscanner/expedia for flights...

Associate
to add to above - check https://www.snow-forecast.com for weather updates, as I spotted a mate joking about sun-block needed in Morzine atm, and yeah, looks like France is warming up (and Italy is even warmer, but Passo Tonale is still cold due to altitude)... So, yeah, look at places with glaciers (Tignes, Val D, Kaprun, etc.)

Caporegime
It is like summer in the alps this week and next. Enough of the base that the skiing is OK, but more like April than Feb. Crunchy first thing and slush by noon. This is pleasant and all but is destroying the snow pack on lower slopes that get the sun. March might go back to winter though

Soldato
Has anyone bought thermals from Decathalon? I've always had Helly Hansen stuff in the past but need some new bits. The Decathalon stuff all looks really warm! Need something lightweight.

Associate
yeah, regularly get Decathlon thermals and socks, every other season or so. work well, especially for the price. i know they're not the most desirable of brands to us brand-snobish Brits, but Decathlon gear is v v popular in Europe and generally they're not too bad.

Soldato
Found some options for Val d'Isere (near the Funicular) and Courchevel 1650. Which do you think is better for a one week snowboarder? Doesn't have the highest of confidence (previously a black run skiier but had a major knee operation after a skiing accident and switched to boarding to help rebuild confidence).

I went last year to val disere, its OK for borders and no particular issue for newbies. Tignes is also good and accessible via lift. Not sure it makes much difference between val disere /tignes.

Ive gone to les arc / la plagne via lifts also and if I was going again I'd be keen to go to LA plagne.

Soldato
Has anyone bought thermals from Decathalon? I've always had Helly Hansen stuff in the past but need some new bits. The Decathalon stuff all looks really warm! Need something lightweight.

I got some 100% merino stuff from them (wasn't Decathlon brand but still cheap) and it was perfect for my trips so far.

Soldato
OMG Zell Am See was awesome. At the end of 6 days in Bansko I could just about survive a blue run as a beginner and was starting to finish my snow plough turns parallel, but after 2.5 days in Zell just experimenting based off watching a lot of YouTube videos and trial-by-firing my first red runs and eventually a short black a couple of times I can now...
-Ski mostly parallel (notice they sometimes point in a bit which isn't good when my stance is hip-width... as I have no hips)
-Control my speed using turns (still a bit skiddy, want to look smooth like all the proper skiers!)
-Hockey stop (albeit more of a J shape than a straight line)
-Could enjoy all the blues, found reds hard but not scary and could survive a short black

Also experienced a brief bit of powder (and promptly sunk), and pretty rough moguls (basically spent more time falling over than skiing).

ZAS was stunning too, especially on Sunday when the sun was out. Did most of the runs so left nothing behind, the town was lovely and the hotel (Grand Hotel) felt far too posh for me - praise be to last minute Booking.com deals.

Need to go to Hemel Hempstead or something to keep practicing; I'm obsessed!

Soldato
I got some 100% merino stuff from them (wasn't Decathlon brand but still cheap) and it was perfect for my trips so far.

Don't find yourself too hot? Heard with two sets you should be able to go the full week without needing to wash them. Not sure I want to try that myself but would save the pain of washing stuff in the sink and leaving it to dry throughout the chalet.

Soldato
Don't find yourself too hot? Heard with two sets you should be able to go the full week without needing to wash them. Not sure I want to try that myself but would save the pain of washing stuff in the sink and leaving it to dry throughout the chalet.

For Bulgaria I had the merino base layer, microfleece mid-layer and lightly insulated ski jacket - this was great for the temps (around zero and sometimes around -10 to -15 higher up) but I put the mid-layer in my backpack when it got to 6 one of the days. Had two sets as well as two merino-heavy ski socks - wore each for 3 days a piece and nothing stank at the end. Might have got a whole week out of just one tbh.

For Austria it was actually quite warm so I never wore the mid-layer and if anything I could have gotten away with a shell jacket on top of the base layer (or maybe my mid layer if I was sure I wouldn't fall much). Would rather have a base layer that wicks sweat away than it soaking into the jacket.

Don
OP
Having an interesting holiday in Colorado at the moment. 6 feet of snow since Saturday here at Breck, huge avalanches all over the places. The main road has been blocked a few times with people having to be dug out of their cars after being buried:-

This morning part of Copper Mountain round the corner had to be evacuated after an avalanche ruptured the local petrol stations fuel pipeline spewing petrol all over the place shutting the highway again.

Controlled avalanches the other day left 15 feet of snow on the road that needed cleared.

Soldato
After doing Zell Am See for a weekend, me and my friend are going to do 5-7 days in Saalbach next year which was just down the road (thought about Canada but $$$). Looking forward to it already!
Saalbach is a fabulous resort. Lots of skiing, lots of apres if it's your thing. The Ski circus gives you a lot of mileage to ski/board. The Austrians are a warm friendly bunch. It's our 4th visit and we'll be back in the future. Enjoy it when it comes round :cool:

Back
Top Bottom