Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Hi chaps, looking for a spot of advice. We have a group of 3-4 that might want to get a trip arranged late March. We're not regular skiers so the last couple of trips we did was Les Arcs (years ago, with Snow Chateaux) and St. Anton (6 years ago, eep!). What resorts would you recommend for late March? I have to say we really enjoyed Austria, but I'm intrigued by skiing in Italy too. Any suggestions? Happy to go somewhere a bit smaller, looking for a chalet experience too if we can. Who do you all book with? :)

Soldato
In other news... I've decided I'm going to go to Profeet in Fulham and get some boots/insoles/liners custom fitted, and just rent out skis and poles at the resorts. I know a lot of people recommend S4F but it's way too much of a trek for me and I've seen plenty of good reviews for the former.

Soldato
Gosh it's all a bit quiet in here. No pointers for me guys? :)

Hi chaps, looking for a spot of advice. We have a group of 3-4 that might want to get a trip arranged late March. We're not regular skiers so the last couple of trips we did was Les Arcs (years ago, with Snow Chateaux) and St. Anton (6 years ago, eep!). What resorts would you recommend for late March? I have to say we really enjoyed Austria, but I'm intrigued by skiing in Italy too. Any suggestions? Happy to go somewhere a bit smaller, looking for a chalet experience too if we can. Who do you all book with? :)

Man of Honour
Small and Italy may be Courmayeur. Great food, nice town, good mix of slopes (great off piste but doesn't sound like that is your thing). Not huge but plenty of other nearby options including Chamonix.

I don't often do the chalet thing, I go often and mostly stay with mates or do air bnb so not my bag but in the past have had many very good experiences with YSE in val d'isere. Rubbish service from ski amis whom I would gladly avoid.

I will be heading to 3 valleys in a week. Latest first trip of a season in years for me. I will go to Chamomnix about a week after though so making up for it I guess.

Caporegime
Gosh it's all a bit quiet in here. No pointers for me guys? :)

End of March I would go somewhere high. Recent yars have seen an eaerly spring, and this year is off to a poor start, its been 8C at 1600M for a couple of weeks. I've been sunbathing the last weekends skiing. Runs back to the resort are all closed around here so things will have to change massively to have a good experience at end of March below 1800m.

Soldato
Small and Italy may be Courmayeur.
That looks like a nice resort but perhaps a little small. Contradicting what I've said above I'm worried that I'm actually used to big resorts without realising. And might be a bit limited. Hmn.

End of March I would go somewhere high. Recent yars have seen an eaerly spring, and this year is off to a poor start, its been 8C at 1600M for a couple of weeks. I've been sunbathing the last weekends skiing. Runs back to the resort are all closed around here so things will have to change massively to have a good experience at end of March below 1800m.
I've definitely been looking at snow-sure resorts, everything high.. Do you have any more suggestions for that?

Perhaps it'll be a late season? No? :(

Man of Honour
I like Courmayeur but it is limited. Consider Val d'Isere/Tignes, La Plagne (les Arcs you know, I think La Plagne is much more interesting), Obergurgul, Chamonix (although not alpine villagey if that is what you want, it's my favourite place in the winter) and 3 Valleys for snow sure.

Soldato
Whistler in Canada will have loads of snow still in march, we area going in April.

Man of Honour
By the way if you do fancy val d'isere i can def recommend YSE for catered chalets. did 4 or 5 trips with them some years back, they were great

Soldato
By the way if you do fancy val d'isere i can def recommend YSE for catered chalets. did 4 or 5 trips with them some years back, they were great
Noted thanks (you did say that already; are you on commission? :p)

I think what worries me about any of the big French resorts is the cost. I've always thought of skiing in France as being the most expensive, for lunches and drink obviously. And that was before this Brexit nonsense decimated the pound. I can't bear to think what it's like now? My last couple of city-breaks in Europe were horrendous for eating/drink out!

I know Austria is still the Euro but I seem to recall everything being a little bit more sensible. We really thoroughly enjoyed St. Anton. Canteen lunches, don't remember anything being take-the-p***-expensive, even beers. Any recommendations for snow-sure resorts there?

Man of Honour
France does feel expensive to be honest. Italy feels massively different. Haven't been to Austria for a few years. Obergurgl is highest in Austria i think if you that's what you are after.

Soldato
Been stocking up on accessories for future trips: got my ski/pole shoulder carry strap, SnoKart's Air Liner boot bags which can stuck together to carry or flat packed in a case, and most importantly.... these Full Tilt Apres Ski slippers for walking to the gondola and back in... :cool: (cliffs = super light, water resistant, Intuition footbed, comfy as hell... and come up big so if you're between sizes get the smaller ones).

Going to go to Captain's Cabin in Sevenoaks for my first pair of boots as they're quite close and apparently do a good job with the boot fitting and customising.

Soldato
France does feel expensive to be honest. Italy feels massively different. Haven't been to Austria for a few years. Obergurgl is highest in Austria i think if you that's what you are after.
Thanks/ Obergurgl sounds nice but perhaps a bit small? I'm going off Igluski (for no reason apart from they come up when I google) but a total of 40 runs doesn't sound like much in comparison to what they're showing for St. Anton or Les Arcs my previous two destinations? Not sure whether they're taking into account the ones linked to those resorts though. It's all very confusing if you're not doing this regularly every year :o

Any other suggestions for snow-sure resorts for the w/c 16th March? A bit of nightlife, not too expensive for food and drink preferably, although we're going to aim for a chalet w/ meals etc.

And who do you guys all book with or do all the seasoned skiiers just do everything separately? :)

Back
Top Bottom