Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Got some adjustable alpine Leki poles (not quite sure what my ideal height is yet - the old elbow test is apparently a bit out-dated - so will experiment) 50% off with the Trigger S clip-in/quick-release system, pretty cool... just need some compatible gloves vs using the straps which secure to regular gloves. No more skiing but plenty of ski sales to browse at least.

Soldato
Hopefully when things are back to normal I can break all this new gear in at one of the indoor slopes, it’s just annoying that there’s nothing in South/South-East London and it’s a right old trek to get to MK or Hemel just for a few hours - you’d think with there being a lot of fancy parts of Kent they’d be something available for all the well-to-dos to practice on when they’re not off on their school break trips to the Alps, but alas, no.

Man of Honour
Hopefully when things are back to normal I can break all this new gear in at one of the indoor slopes, it’s just annoying that there’s nothing in South/South-East London and it’s a right old trek to get to MK or Hemel just for a few hours - you’d think with there being a lot of fancy parts of Kent they’d be something available for all the well-to-dos to practice on when they’re not off on their school break trips to the Alps, but alas, no.
I do business planing for visitor attractions and have done a lot of indoor snow work. A few projects have been discussed for London and SE but haven't come to fruition yet. I worked on one that would have been well within the m25 but didn't get off the ground. Shame.

Soldato
I do business planing for visitor attractions and have done a lot of indoor snow work. A few projects have been discussed for London and SE but haven't come to fruition yet. I worked on one that would have been well within the m25 but didn't get off the ground. Shame.

*cry*

Fingers crossed then. I’d take a decent dry slope but they’re invariably all old and not made of the newer materials that are a little more snow-like than that old crosshatch looking stuff.

Man of Honour
*cry*

Fingers crossed then. I’d take a decent dry slope but they’re invariably all old and not made of the newer materials that are a little more snow-like than that old crosshatch looking stuff.

Yeah dendix is the old style and is minging. Snowflex is the new stuff and that is pretty good and you can shape it to any feature (like half pipes, moguls and stuff like that). Personally I would prefer a good snowflex slope with a lift and great features than a run of the mill indoor slope.

Man of Honour
St Anton would be a good shout. Lech and Zurs is great but I think St A more fun for a lads trip. Mayrhofen is meant to have good nightlife and is worth checking out but I have personally not been.

Man of Honour
I like Avoriaz a lot. Good atmosphere and riding. If the snow is cack in the rest of the port du soleil it gets rammed as it is the only place in a massive area with height and more snow suredness. Had some great times there.

Soldato
I've been Mayrhofen and St Anton, preferred Mayrhofen. St Anton is the livelier but personally I liked the ski area of Mayrhofen.

Associate
Are people booking for next year then? I'm trying to round up the troops at the moment but people wary.
Before Covid I was planning a week in Dec in France then going to go back to Japan in late Jan for a couple weeks (and then possibly a family week in March). But, now I'm waiting to see what happens...

At the moment you need to isolate for 2 weeks returning to England and France have matched this their side - so 1 week away is 5 weeks off work and 3 weeks accommodation in France. That's not viable. I can't imagine that's still going to be the case in winter, but who knows - especially as some people have suggested that this virus could rise again in wintertime in the way colds seem to spread around more then. Until travel restrictions have been lifted then I'm not willing to risk it, especially as I can't imagine insurance companies covering Covid cancellations now.

And, this is all before the new Brexit regulations, which could well nuke a lot of chalet holidays anyway. A LOT of companies rely on UK staff and skirt around min hourly pay by paying them via UK accounts. This is all expected to be stopped this winter, but as the entire Brexit talks have pretty much stopped, who knows... If France (and other EU countries) force all employees to pay local tax via a local bank account, it could well put a massive problem into chalet holidays (and those instructors who haven't set up local residency/accounts either). I'm cynical enough to think some chalet companies are trying to wing it and get bookings atm, with the hope Brexit talks allow UK companies to trade abroad, but if it's not included in any deal (and who the flip knows if it's a no deal) then they could well cancel any bookings as they can't operate. (but, I'm hoping to be wrong on this - I'm only aware of problematic situations from instructor mates who have been madly setting themselves with French bank accounts in case of issues)

Soldato
Our group have decided we're willing to lose 50% of the cost which is what our usual place is offering. Flights can be moved for free so not too worried about them.

God knows if the resorts will even be open but gonna take the risk.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We usually book last minute so I doubt that will change. We were lucky that we got a skit trip in before lockdown started this year but we still lost one of our trips which was a shame.

Soldato
So what do we think the resorts will look like come winter?

Socially distanced lift queues? They would stretch for miles! Bubble lifts limited to certain numbers? Would lead to more queues and places like Mayrhofen where the only way to reach the pistes is via gondola are going to struggle. Apres?

Hmmm....

Soldato
OP
So what do we think the resorts will look like come winter?

Socially distanced lift queues? They would stretch for miles! Bubble lifts limited to certain numbers? Would lead to more queues and places like Mayrhofen where the only way to reach the pistes is via gondola are going to struggle. Apres?

Hmmm....

I hope its calmed down by then, i cant see social distancing working for lifts as you said the queues will be miles long.

I cant imagine its going to be much fun if things haven't been eased by then.

Associate
lift queues and social distancing just can't work, hell this was Vail in Feb:
mFGvZGU.jpg
If there's a concern then they realistically need to dramatically reduce slope capacity, which will mean a massive bump to ski passes. (and it's probably too late already as I'm guessing some resorts have already sold their share of season passes based on last year's capacity)

No idea what to think/plan this winter. A lot of people are fearing a wave of the virus in autumn when colds/flu typically go around, and what that will do to flights, travel-restrictions, isolation-requirements and accommodation options, who knows?!? The only (likely) guarantee is that insurance companies will refuse to pay out for cancellations due to the virus.

A mate is trying to put together a trip to Japan, in the way he has for the last 2 years, and I'd love to head back there. But with virus concerns and being on furlough, I feel I need to wait and hopefully deadline it (after I've returned to work and I'm hopefully not looking at redundancy).

Back
Top Bottom