• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Associate
All this time I’ve been looking to get the MSI Trio, but now I’m debating getting the FE, at least I know what I’m getting when I buy it. I’m upgrading from a 1080 so either way it’s going to be a massive improvement for me.

I don’t know if I can justify spending an extra £200 for a few extra fps anymore lol

Soldato
Looks like it.

They all overclock like a dog so far and the factory overclocks offer 1-3% performance for £200 increase in cost.

I also have a feeling the FE version is a fake launch and will never be in stock as Nvidia lose money due to the expensive cooler. Nvidia makes money selling the chips to AIBs.
I'm reading a lot of positive zotac comments, is everyone forgetting how they forgot to cooler vram on some previous amp extreme cards >_<

fx1

fx1

Associate
Everyone is forgetting the 3080Ti which will launch next year when 3080 stock is plentyful and they have a load of 3090 chips which didnt make the grade which will be 95% of the 3090 and £900.

fx1

fx1

Associate
Well i just managed to put an order in with someone for £769 for FTW Ultra... No stock showing but now you cant place an order.... interesting... see if it turns up

Associate
Everyone is forgetting the 3080Ti which will launch next year when 3080 stock is plentyful and they have a load of 3090 chips which didnt make the grade which will be 95% of the 3090 and £900.

Would love that. A 3080ti at £850-£900 with 20GB hits the spot.

Soldato
Mine will be delivered tommorow.
Bought from a competitor as it flashed up in stock at 16.30 ish yresterday as I was fereting around trying to get prices, I didn't need a second invitation to hit buy !
I didn't know if I was going to get it...
Tried unsuccessfully at 2pm today to order a card from my shortlist from various sites that all went down to F5 attacks, so off I went to do the school run.
Came back to find a despatched email :)
My Second Choice, but after reading reviews I am happy. My guesswork and thoughts on heatsink and fan combinations paid off, and this card is a good bit quieter (near silent apparently) while gaming, and temps a few degrees lower than a FE.
All that while having one of the highest factory OC currently available and gives me room to play with fans to get the perfect balance of cool and quiet :D
One MSI Gaming X Trio for £744.99 = One happy Vogon, I may need to write a poem. :p

I notice one competitor listed the Palit card at £839 as it was all they had in stock by the time the site came back for me, and even they all sold out, looks like OCUK have them in stock atm for a still excessive £728 !

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lot of people commenting they are buying MSI and surprised by how little comment people have made about their shady business practices.

At the end of the day, everybody is free to do what they want. But for me ? no way in hell am I buying anything made by them after watching the below.

For me it's probably going to be one of the gigabyte cards depending upon dimensions as to whether I can get the Aorus one to fit

I did not want to let on which card I was going for.

As I had seen many comments completely dishing it as a buying option, and that kinda worked for me. :)
I certainly did not want to draw attention to the things that I had noticed below.

But I went for the ASUS RTX 3080 TUF (non-OC) version.
  • The non-OC version was priced at the £649 RRP (at the time, and I really didn't want to spend more than that).
  • The heatsink exploded view on the ASUS website looked really quite nice with it's separate GDDR6X heatsink.
  • Decent fan blade design, with the center fan spinning in the opposite direction to cut down air turbulence.
  • The shroud around the card was open and not restricting exit airflow.
  • Meaty back plate with a pass-thru at the end.
  • Dual HDMI ports
  • VBIOS switch (could come in handy for custom flashing in the future)
  • Fan stop under low loads
All in all... a decent example of a 3080 at the lower end of the price spectrum.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/

cooler2.jpg

cooler5.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Inno3D X2 for me. Reference PCB for waterblock.
Limited choice on that front. Zotac was my next choice, but was £50 more. I disliked it got the price bump so voted with my wallet.
Any other Inno3D owners??

Back
Top Bottom