So has anyone found out why Windows likes to use your CPU so much?

Soldato
Can you put a link to the software homepage for this? I don't think it's going to be Mavis Beacon somehow (thanks Google).

Hahaha! Certainly isn't. It's made by the people who created Spybot I believe, as far as I can tell it's primary purpose is to disable services, I found this out as I had already disabled several on them and on first boot it said I was partially protected. It's also an easy way to turn them off and on en mass and is updated to keep on top of telemetry.

It's certainly not the only step I take but its super easy.

I'll dig up an official link when I get home.

Man of Honour
To be fair Asim has a point about Windows 10. Personally I think it's the best version of Windows since XP. But it does log an extraordinary amount of data. I still use it a lot but am gradually moving over to Linux for anything that doesn't specifically need Windows. My biggest annoyance is the frequent updates when I most need to use it to login to work remotely. Drives me nuts.

Yup - despite the protestations in the other thread more often than not Windows 10 likes to use a lot of CPU and the manner updates are delivered in is just a pain in the rear and seem to have a habit of being at the most inconvenient time as well.

On paper there is a lot I should like about Windows 10 but the background stuff especially telemetry just leave me feeling uncomfortable and the execution of most features is lacking in vision and narrow minded making them far less useful than they should be or even disruptive. For instance where is the group management for Start Menu tiles? that should have been one of the first things they implemented so you can save, delete, hide/show and generally manage whole groups of tiles in one go as well as the ability to customise the icon used (if not live), background colour/transparency, etc. of tiles.

Basically it seems many of the MS developers have their heads so firmly planted up their backside they can't see they are breaking what should have been the best OS they've made yet, possibly the best OS ever.

Soldato
100% legit Windows 8.1

I hate to break it to you, but repackaged/modified ISOs usually have LESS spyware on them than original/legit ISOs.

Who would you rather trust? A small time and trustworthy lone hobbyist who is spending his free time trying to remove spyware and telematics harvesting from Windows ISOs, or a multi-million dollar company who is the one milking money from unlimited data collection/harvesting, with thousands upon thousands of potentially messed up people having access to your data???

Right, so it's now Spyware, not a virus :confused:

I won't deny that an original Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft (for example - I skipped 8.1) comes with a number of dubious 'features' (tracking, telematics etc etc), but I highly doubt that any of these features would ping up an any Spyware scanning application. Heck, doing our W10 builds at work using our VLSC copy of W10 Enterprise, I'm staggered to see the amount of consumer rubbish it comes with, and have to strip all of it out before capturing a build for rollout - but it's not viral nor spyware!

Having used official, and 'custom' (with my own key mind) ISO files for Windows 7 and Windows 10, I have never once encountered a virus or spyware to be included - I'm actually tempted to jump on our VLSC to grab this virus/spyware laden Windows 8.1 you are talking of :D Just to have a looksee... but I expect I'll find what I expect to see, a completely clean image, albeit one with the aforementioned 'features' that Microsoft now want to push on us.

To answer your question - would I trust a small time and trustworthy lone hobbyist? No. No I wouldn't - what makes them more trustworthy than the actual creator of the Windows operating system? Someone pulling apart an original ISO, applying NTlite tweaks, drivers, add ons etc, then rolling that out as "the latest and greatest Windows X Super Tweaked Gaming Edition 2018"; doesn't deserve trust because they are a 'hobbyist' with tweaking - heck, they probably have numerous points in their process where something, that they weren't aware of, ends up on the image... might be the reason why you have had bad experiences with viruses and spyware?

Regarding the last section, I don't really know what you want to hear - you obviously have your opinion on Microsoft (M$), I agree that they are probably taking a lot of data off of machines, with users unaware - what they use this for? Goodness knows, maybe nothing, maybe something; it's a steady slide down into conspiracy stuff right there imo. If you think about it, your Apple/Anroid phone is probably collecting a comparable amount of data on you - possibly even more intrusive than Microsoft; assuming your machine is not mobile (like your phone).

Man of Honour
I'm actually tempted to jump on our VLSC to grab this virus/spyware laden Windows 8.1 you are talking of :D Just to have a looksee...

At least on my Toshiba tablet (I largely avoided Windows 8) it has surprisingly little going on in the background especially compared to 10 - I was a bit surprised Asim's post was about 8 rather than 10. Stripped down it runs surprisingly well though I do miss having a proper start menu (I've implemented a start menu of sorts but it still not the same as 7 or 10) and the UI like 10 is an eye sore sadly especially if I open up Explorer with so much going on in a mismatch of UI styles all of which look disjointed and ugly.

I had to laugh when I heard about Polaris, with RT, etc. they've proved they are incapable of making a success of something like that and they haven't even finished the underpinning work for something like that in 10 which is still a work in progress migrating things to a new platform - but off they go (borrowing an apt phrase from someone else) chasing butterflies again.

Soldato
Almost entirely this.

Beacon is a great program, I also use glasswire to block internet access for any windows process that doesn't absolutely need it. I've stripped out as much as I can like cortana, win Store, default apps etc

I love win 10 but it's a real step towards intrusiveness.

Thanks for those - never heard of either. I think the former might be like the O&O Windows 10 Shut Up app - but I'll give them both a go - I run LTSB at home, so it's pretty stripped out anyway, but interesting to see what these two apps suggest.

Soldato
That Glasswire software is a lovely looking program, very neat UI. But why is my computer talking to the Amazon Firestick on the TV? :eek:

Quite an eye opener isn't it? I've used that program a lot to identify and either block or disable silent programs or services.

Their customer service is also absolutely excellent.

Soldato
At least on my Toshiba tablet (I largely avoided Windows 8) it has surprisingly little going on in the background especially compared to 10 - I was a bit surprised Asim's post was about 8 rather than 10. Stripped down it runs surprisingly well though I do miss having a proper start menu (I've implemented a start menu of sorts but it still not the same as 7 or 10) and the UI like 10 is an eye sore sadly especially if I open up Explorer with so much going on in a mismatch of UI styles all of which look disjointed and ugly.

I had to laugh when I heard about Polaris, with RT, etc. they've proved they are incapable of making a success of something like that and they haven't even finished the underpinning work for something like that in 10 which is still a work in progress migrating things to a new platform - but off they go (borrowing an apt phrase from someone else) chasing butterflies again.

Sorry for the slight OT - but I thought that 8.1 had ditched metro and brought back the start menu? Unless I'm misreading your post, and you're on 8 and not 8.1

Re. the UI - I agree, working on 10 since release, it seems a bit mad having the newer 'Settings' type screens, yet still have the underpinned old style XP menus; but I can't help but feel that they are keeping those to make IT workers happy - as it's always nice knowing I can find and change settings through decades old shortcuts and whatnot - though the shift from "Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features" still catches me out :D

Soldato
Yup - despite the protestations in the other thread more often than not Windows 10 likes to use a lot of CPU and the manner updates are delivered in is just a pain in the rear and seem to have a habit of being at the most inconvenient time as well.
protestations lol. good grief. The OP is using windows 8.1 and yet you are still shoehorning in jabs at windows 10!

Soldato
Thanks for those - never heard of either. I think the former might be like the O&O Windows 10 Shut Up app - but I'll give them both a go - I run LTSB at home, so it's pretty stripped out anyway, but interesting to see what these two apps suggest.

Given your setup your mileage will probably be less than most. Glasswire is a firewall, and it's granular yet very simple control excellent.

I'll have s look and win 20 shut up, nice one.

Man of Honour
protestations lol. good grief. The OP is using windows 8.1 and yet you are still shoehorning in jabs at windows 10!

The thread is generally covering both OSes - see replies by Hades, etc.

Also a lot of people groan about features in 10 but then just put up with it - if no one is vocal they have no reason to make a better OS or push the OS to the potential it could be.

Man of Honour
Sorry for the slight OT - but I thought that 8.1 had ditched metro and brought back the start menu? Unless I'm misreading your post, and you're on 8 and not 8.1

Re. the UI - I agree, working on 10 since release, it seems a bit mad having the newer 'Settings' type screens, yet still have the underpinned old style XP menus; but I can't help but feel that they are keeping those to make IT workers happy - as it's always nice knowing I can find and change settings through decades old shortcuts and whatnot - though the shift from "Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features" still catches me out :D

The start button returned but not the original start menu - it goes to a fullscreen start screen menu thing instead of the pop out menu - Metro was rejigged but not removed.

Soldato
The start button returned but not the original start menu - it goes to a fullscreen start screen menu thing instead of the pop out menu - Metro was rejigged but not removed.

Ah I see, a bit like the pap on the Server editions now :( Classic shell still being called for these days then. Wonder if Aston shell is still used... not touched that since XP. I digress.

Re. your comment above; people being vocal, so Microsoft make a better o/s - I would love to think that was an option - but they seem to have a clear direction they are taking the Desktop and Server o/s into, and I don't think that will change. With it's overly simplified menus, and fluffy big icons - it's feels very laden (imo of course) in touch screen bumpf for their Surface devices, it's almost as if they need a proper "Professional" edition that is gear towards more power users; strip out the **** and give me the core o/s. That's why I use LTSB.

On the whole though, I have enjoyed the move over to 10 - the initial 'free' upgrade did brick my wife's laptop, but a download of the full ISO and a complete reinstall sorted that out. I find that 10 (to me) runs better than 7, though it does indeed have its peaks and troughs in performance at times, it's often during update season (minor and major) - if I weren't using LTSB, I'd be tempted to set updates to CBB and have the feature updates delayed for 365 days. Personally, I don't use my PC at home for anything other than media tasks, so have no need for all these '3D' tools that 1709 came with - I can live without them, for a more slower paces o/s experience :)

Soldato
Thanks, that was nice and simple to activate!

No probs, spot on right?

I just open it every month or so, or after a big windows update, check for newer versions and apply any new immunisations.

Worth checking out the option tab too. If you're interested in the other things I've done hit me up on PM, it's worth noting there's a lot of registry rummaging mind.

Back
Top Bottom