So has anyone found out why Windows likes to use your CPU so much?

Soldato
Another "LOL asim thread" after he got an attack of the crazy at 4am.

Sometimes Windows update has a brainfart given it's held together with sticky tape and pritt-stick. Not everything is a corporate masterminded conspiracy powered by lies and heavy handed hammers to steal your data.

Soldato
OP
Another "LOL asim thread" after he got an attack of the crazy at 4am.

Sometimes Windows update has a brainfart given it's held together with sticky tape and pritt-stick. Not everything is a corporate masterminded conspiracy powered by lies and heavy handed hammers to steal your data.

Yeah I would have been asleep 3 hours ago.

Also if you don't know anything about what it's doing for 3 hours then why post at all?

Computer programs don't just have a brain fart. They don't just mysteriously use 3 hours of CPU time and over 50 Gigabytes of disk writes and then magically fix themselves. That's not how it works. It's doing something. And the most plausible thing right about now is a bitcoin miner.

Accusing others of being crazy, and yet your explanation is that Computer programs are held together with office adhesives and have "brain farts".

Good grief lol, and I'm the crazy one haha.

Heck what you have mentioned is beyond the realms of physical possibility LOL. This is how much people love having their data milked and potential bitcoin miners remote installed on their computers, they they're willing to ascribe the dodgy resource usage to things which aren't even physically possible.

Software being held together with tape and having brain farts lol, this is the Windows forum, not GD.

Soldato
MagicBoy said:
Sometimes Windows update has a brainfart given it's held together with sticky tape and pritt-stick

Pretty good description of windows update tbh.

Windows 10 WU is pretty flaky in my experience. When it does play up, stop downloading, get stuck or fail when trying to install updates, it's normally because of some corrupt files. Resetting it always works though.

Soldato
Software being held together with tape and having brain farts lol, this is the Windows forum, not GD.

You confuse my offhand clickbaity reply for lack of knowledge. Make more sensible posts, and you'll get a more sensible reply.

My comments on Windows update are not untrue. I do know what I'm talking about, having administrated the patching for a corporate network with thousands of machines until a couple months ago. The testing on the updates coming out of Microsoft have been woeful for the last 12 months.

You're seriously accusing Windows Update of bitcoin mining? :rolleyes:

Soldato
I believe the CPU usage is down to Windows compiling files. Don't hold me to this, but I do remember reading this somewhere a few months ago. This would explain why slower computers take longer, particularly those with hard drives. Each time Windows updates itself, I run Disk Cleanup after the Windows Update has restarted.

There are several things you can do to help minimise the data leaks. Most importantly is do not tie a Microsoft account to Windows. I also recommend the use of Spybot Anti-Beacon to help reduce tracking/telemetry being sent to Microsoft.

In terms of bloat, I would very highly recommend looking at MSMG Toolkit. I have used this tool for some time now, primarily to remove the mass of apps and integrate updates. It does have a slight learning curve, but once you do some reading and note down what you want to keep and remove, it's fairly smooth sailing. Once you have finished, you will end up with an ISO image of Windows which should be almost how you want it.

If you don't want to reinstall Windows but get rid of the majority of apps, you can run these two commands in PowerShell:
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

I also use an interactive firewall. The firewall I use is part of ESET Internet Security. It is frustrating on a new installation of Windows when you are being badgered by firewall requests. But it does quickly calm down.

I do think it's naive to call Windows spyware, but I can see why you might call it that. If you reign in Windows, it won't run loose from you.

Man of Honour
This would explain why slower computers take longer, particularly those with hard drives.

I don't find any rhyme or reason to it - my dads PC (about to be replaced) is using my old Q6600 still and a mechanical HDD - Seagate 7200.11 and it is one of the fastest (relatively speaking) installs of Windows 10 I've seen for updating and his PC is a bit of a mess with a lot of software and is the one the family uses when they stay over etc. so pretty bloated. His i5/SSD laptop which is far newer takes 3-4x longer to apply the same updates and has barely any software other than Office on there.

I have two of the exact same spec mini-laptop/tablet things with pretty much cloned OS environments and there is no consistency with applying the same update - for any give update one will take say 2 hours sometimes while the other will sit there all night 6-11 hours but it doesn't happen to the same one each time.

Soldato
That's an utterly poor excuse for allowing big corps to milk your data for cash.

It's got nothing to do with nothing to hide. Its about Google, FB, and now Microsoft, trying to milk and mine your data to generate cash.

Windows 10 was basically rammed down people's throats under the guise of being "free" using the GWX deployment virus, the truth is that nothing is free and you're just paying for it with your data, it's not an operating system anymore, its a virus. FB is only worth billions because all your data belongs to them. Microsoft et al are now competing for more data market share.

This is why new directives such as GDPR are being brought out, they don't promote privacy, they erode it. All it does is relinquish your rights to your data and gives the data mining corps the explicit right to use your data as they please. Most of the big buttons on the new popups are "I accept all data collection" lol.

Same as the old "Privacy policies", there is nothing about privacy policies which is on the side of the consumer for goodness sake, they're just saying hey we will milk your data and you cant do nothing about it. Cant believe how brainwashed/mind controlled people are.

Holy thread revival Batman!!!!

I had to re-read my post to get back on point:

That's the thing, you don't have to, at all. Out of the box Windows 10 is fine for probably 90 odd percent of users, in business or home environments. The tweaks we are dabbling with are simply because we are "overclockers" - as in, we have a keen interest in IT/Computing/Operating Systems/Software/etc. Others that may use these, are people who are security conscious, and don't believe that Microsoft have their best interests at heart, and wish to block some of the guff.

But, again, for the masses - people may not actually care that Windows 10 is phoning home; the old adage of 'nothing to hide' applies to most I guess. For me though, I like to fiddle around in whatever o/s I have (not Linux though, urgh), and apps such as this SpyBot one are more of an interest than a necessity to me.

Ok...

That's an utterly poor excuse for allowing big corps to milk your data for cash.

It's got nothing to do with nothing to hide. Its about Google, FB, and now Microsoft, trying to milk and mine your data to generate cash.

It wasn't really an excuse, I was trying to suggest that for most people (who don't wear tin foil hats or like to tweak things) the phoning home functions of, say, Windows 10 - aren't an issue. Regardless of what the collected data is used for.

Face it, data on us is a goldmine for the companies you have listed, as they can then sell your information onto advertisers, or develop their own systems to deliver 'focused' adverts - it's big business!

Windows 10 was basically rammed down people's throats under the guise of being "free" using the GWX deployment virus, the truth is that nothing is free and you're just paying for it with your data, it's not an operating system anymore, its a virus. FB is only worth billions because all your data belongs to them. Microsoft et al are now competing for more data market share.

Not sure if it was actually rammed down your throat - it was dangled like a carrot, I never once found a single device (corporate or personal) where the Windows 10 update *just* installed; yet I am aware of claims out there were people have said that 10 installed without their say-so; which I really am dubious of - it's more likely they clicked a popup without reading it correctly. I love how you consider GWX.exe as a virus though :D As I recall, it was an Update - issued via Windows Update (you know, that well know malware and viral hub!!!!); granted, I considered it akin to a great big pop-up taking over my browsing - very intrustive and a pretty under-handed tactic. But a virus? Get real fella.

I can see from the rest of this paragraph, that you are probably a regular buyer of bacofoil or the like...

This is why new directives such as GDPR are being brought out, they don't promote privacy, they erode it. All it does is relinquish your rights to your data and gives the data mining corps the explicit right to use your data as they please. Most of the big buttons on the new popups are "I accept all data collection" lol.

I'll hold my hands up here, and admit I know naff all about why GDPR came about - I suspect it was more likely that with the ever changing landscape of the digital world, the previous guidelines were too simplified and didn't cover everything. I very much doubt that GDPR came about because of Windows 10 :confused: One thing that has been good from GDPR, is that you now get popups for cookie approval - and for the sites that don't have a 'Reject' option - I simply close and find whatever I wanted elsewhere.

Look - people are idiots. By and large, they are idiots, and need their hands held. As the years go on, and more and more idiots are churned out by schools and colleges, and more and more new demands are made by these idiots (safe spaces and whatnot) - these idiots then wade into whatever the hot new tech or app is; without appreciating that the Ts & Cs they are happily clicking past, likely informing you that everything you do will be collected and owned by Google/Apple/GlobalMegaCorp!

Same as the old "Privacy policies", there is nothing about privacy policies which is on the side of the consumer for goodness sake, they're just saying hey we will milk your data and you cant do nothing about it. Cant believe how brainwashed/mind controlled people are.

You're naive if you think that corporations are for the good of the people - they're not, and probably never have been; business is all about making profits - be that through selling for a £1,000 phone, or collecting all of your data and selling it onto goodnessknowswho.com. But referring back to my previous statement - people are idiots and can't be bothered to protect themselves, they blunder blindly through installers and whatnot - and then have a moan when they discover their data is being mined.

Let us take Windows 10 as an example - the first version (1507 or whatever it was) was very very keen on you picking the 'express setup', hoping to appeal to the average idiot, as that would leave all the tracking bells and whistles on. After the adverse publicity on tracking, the latest version (1803) still tries to tempt you down the "don't worry, we'll set it all up for you, you can trust us" - but if you do brave it and go down the self setup - there's a stack more options now.

Now. Me personally, being in IT and an ex-overclocker, still don't trust the o/s with all the tracking turned off - so I turn to some of the suggested tools in this forum; but again - I even doubt those. But you have to draw a line - do you sit around paranoid, tin hat on, telling people on the internet how they're all out to get you and your data. Or do you think "I want to use my PC so meh". There has to be a point where you accept that your digital footprint is going to be tracked somewhere along the line - be it within your operating system, or on your favorite web page; you either accept it or take yourself offline.

Soldato
Yeah I would have been asleep 3 hours ago.

Also if you don't know anything about what it's doing for 3 hours then why post at all?

Computer programs don't just have a brain fart. They don't just mysteriously use 3 hours of CPU time and over 50 Gigabytes of disk writes and then magically fix themselves. That's not how it works. It's doing something. And the most plausible thing right about now is a bitcoin miner.

Not a programmer, but have worked in IT over a decade and have supported a lot of applications on Windows - and yes, yes they do just have a "brain fart", though you cannot phrase it like that to the end user.

Lacking the actual programmer's explanation of the issue - we would commonly refer to it as a 'blip' or 'bug', when you consider an idle system will easily make hundreds of thousands of 'processes' over the course of less than a minute - any one of those has scope for going wrong. Often, you will see applications that lock the CPU at maximum (25% for 4 cores), whilst the memory use creeps up and up - a layman term for that would be a "memory leak" - aka a brain fart.

Why do you think the whole 'turn it off and back on' is such an IT meme? It's because it fixes a lot of these brain farts - for not only applications, but also the o/s itself.

As for Windows Update - as someone put it brilliantly, it is held together with sticky tape - always has been, and will often fail. My own personal fix for this is to stop the WU service, then delete %windir%\SoftwareDistribution - then reboot and try again. Yes it sucks and should do it, but it's a computer, doing calculations we cannot even comprehend - issues arise, and if they didn't; a lot of us would be out of work.

Either that, or Microsoft have remotely connected into your PC and are busy skimming off your data...

Soldato

This is an UNOFFICIAL Windows forum, for enthusiasts - you seem to be overlooking that fact. This isn't TechNet, or one of the many other official Microsoft support forums - this is OcUK; a collection of like-minded people who have a passion for computing, some of whom, also work in the field.

Your posts are riddled with conspiracy, to the degree that I imaging you sitting there ranting like Alex Jones - yet you are getting hung up by people using off-the-cuff terminology? If you want an actual explanation of why PCs fall over (sorry, there's another term!!); then go engage with Microsoft support - trust me, after being passed around their teams for 40 minutes, you'll have lost the will to live. And even if you make it through to their brightest and best, they'll probably give you a similar loose term - as there's no definitive for these types of issues.

You need to understand, that people who have used these systems for years - in either a professional, or personal capacity; will have seen countless 'oddities' (sorry, another one!), but have never had the inclination to discover why it happened - so long as the system comes back up after a reboot and the issue never comes back; who cares right! Those of us who have work with systems professionally, will adopt a very cynical stance, an will often throw any words around when a users asks the fateful question "so, why did this happen?".

Face it, that system of yours is functioning on electrical impulses - these are passing through hundreds of transistors and many different components, and all sorts. Being fed into an incredible component (the processor) where these on/off pulses can be converted into data - a hugely simplified way of explaining it, but deep deep down, there is so much going on - and I very much doubt any one person can hold the entirety of knowledge to tell you exactly why things fail.

Soldato
I don't find any rhyme or reason to it - my dads PC (about to be replaced) is using my old Q6600 still and a mechanical HDD - Seagate 7200.11 and it is one of the fastest (relatively speaking) installs of Windows 10 I've seen for updating and his PC is a bit of a mess with a lot of software and is the one the family uses when they stay over etc. so pretty bloated. His i5/SSD laptop which is far newer takes 3-4x longer to apply the same updates and has barely any software other than Office on there.

I have two of the exact same spec mini-laptop/tablet things with pretty much cloned OS environments and there is no consistency with applying the same update - for any give update one will take say 2 hours sometimes while the other will sit there all night 6-11 hours but it doesn't happen to the same one each time.

I suspect, things like this are down to slight differences in components. Here in the office, we often notice that identical machines, perform differently - but both have a WDS deployed image, and are (on face value at least) identical machine - same spec, same generation HP etc etc. But for whatever reason, you have one that is slower/less reliable than the other. If we were to strip it down and check each component - I'd expect to see some difference; maybe some different chips or capacitors on the board or a different model drive?

For Windows tablets, you're at the whim of the MMC they have chosen to solder on - that might explain the difference with those, certainly if their supplier has a slower/duff (sorry Asim, another term!!)batch.

My old Linx x64 took about 8 hours to do the first big Windows 10 update :(

Man of Honour
For Windows tablets, you're at the whim of the MMC they have chosen to solder on - that might explain the difference with those, certainly if their supplier has a slower/duff (sorry Asim, another term!!)batch

AFAIK these tablets are as close to identical as you could get - the eMMC appears to be identical as far as the markings on the chips and benchmark speeds though I can't rule out any minor tweaks to firmware, etc. (they are both on the same version of the main BIOS). One of them I tend to use with an external SD card reader a fair bit more than the other but both have the drivers installed for it - I've seen no pattern depending on which one it is connected to.

x7AY6Ke.jpg

Soldato
AFAIK these tablets are as close to identical as you could get - the eMMC appears to be identical as far as the markings on the chips and benchmark speeds though I can't rule out any minor tweaks to firmware, etc. (they are both on the same version of the main BIOS). One of them I tend to use with an external SD card reader a fair bit more than the other but both have the drivers installed for it - I've seen no pattern depending on which one it is connected to.

When this sort of thing happens with the laptops here - I just say the slower one is haunted (goodness, I'm racking them up for you Asim!!).

I wonder if a Belarc scan would show a component difference on your devices? Thing is - you're probably like most people, and just think "oh well" and leave the thing to update in its own time. If you like, it seems Asim is great at monitoring every single bit of resource utilization - you could always give him a job for 6-11 hours :D

Soldato
OP
Your posts make sense Scort.

But I think you are getting too enthusiastic/defensive about me shouting "virus" at everything :p. The only problem here is that I have been using disk cleanup and windows updates for almost two decades, and I have never had as many issues pre-win10 rollout. Problems with windows update have gone up by 100,000% in some cases and Disk Cleanup is slow as ever and I wish to get people's thoughts on why it's gotten like this.

I don't think its fair to just brush it off as brain farts, nor to refer to bugs as brain farts. A bug in a programmed program, although unwanted, doesn't just manifest out of nowhere, it's programmed to perform that bug and will reproduce it every single time those conditions are met, and it could be caused by something as silly as having internet explorer uninstalled, this is why bugs need to be identified and fixed. A computer program doesn't just have a brain fart, if the conditions are met then it will be reproduced every single time, the problem is identifying those those variables/conditions.

No wonder 80% of all apps on the main platforms these days (especially Metro crApps by a massive margin!) are just utterly horrendously coded/implemented, "oh it's just having a brain fart, nowt wrong with the programming" what an unfortunate attitude. Same famous words will be spoken when Skynet takes over. :D

Soldato
Your posts make sense Scort.

Thank you, wish I could say the same :p

But I think you are getting too enthusiastic/defensive about me shouting "virus" at everything :p.

You'll have to forgive me for that - I am the same, when my father in law sends over Daily Fail articles about scams, hacks, or idiots not reading the Ts & Cs of an app; then finding they've been billed £30 and go moaning about it being unfair etc. If I feel that there's an unreasonable stance, or it's a subject I can offer input to - I will give my opinion.

The only problem here is that I have been using disk cleanup and windows updates for almost two decades, and I have never had as many issues pre-win10 rollout. Problems with windows update have gone up by 100,000% in some cases and Disk Cleanup is slow as ever and I wish to get people's thoughts on why it's gotten like this.

I'm going to blame head trauma for not recalling what the process was like under Windows 95, 98, NT Workstation, 2000, ME, XP and Windows 7 - but I know for a fact that XP and 7 had problems; which often resulted in a 0xsomething error, prompting my previously mentioned 'fix'. Disk Cleanup, I use infrequently, as I manually clean the important areas during fault resolution - and only really have call for it, when I'm slimming an image down before WDS capture.

As for it going up 100,000% - I appreciate the kids on Chris Evans' show often rate things in a similar percentage - but I will disagree; at best it's probably 20% slower. But I think a lot of that is down to the new 'simplified' Settings layout they use - I think it is purposely dumbing the process down, so as to not scare or daunt the average user. So for anyone with an interest, we no longer see a decent breakdown of what it's doing - it just sits there saying what percent it's at or if it's a retry/fail update; the latter two being more common as it appears to load those drivers/patches twice (hence one fails).

I don't think its fair to just brush it off as brain farts, nor to refer to bugs as brain farts. A bug in a programmed program, although unwanted, doesn't just manifest out of nowhere, it's programmed to perform that bug and will reproduce it every single time those conditions are met, and it could be caused by something as silly as having internet explorer uninstalled, this is why bugs need to be identified and fixed. A computer program doesn't just have a brain fart, if the conditions are met then it will be reproduced every single time, the problem is identifying those those variables/conditions.

The term 'bug' is one I am always wary of using, as it's the big scary one for the end-user; the one that will then lead to me getting a lot more questions as to the "what" and "why" of the fault I just resolved for them. If I recall, I think you once mentioned you are/were a programmer - so you will use "bug" in a different manner to what I would, which is why I use that particular throwaway sparingly.

Ok, from a programmer's perspective, I'm sure that a program doesn't just have a brain fart - but you need to appreciate that these programs are installed into environments that may have brain farts; causing the robust application to take a dive. It's one of the 'great' things that Windows-based developers must enjoy so much - the fact that they are putting out an application into an almost infinite combination of hardware; they can't foresee how it will work under all of those environments, as it is simply impossibly to do.

No wonder 80% of all apps on the main platforms these days (especially Metro crApps by a massive margin!) are just utterly horrendously coded/implemented, "oh it's just having a brain fart, nowt wrong with the programming" what an unfortunate attitude. Same famous words will be spoken when Skynet takes over. :D

If I am correct in my recollection above, then I have to concede to your knowledge of programming - and I'm sure that you know a lot more than I do, how the 'metro' style apps/Store apps are built and pushed out to the masses.

But I doubt a programmer would take the stance "oh it's just having a brain fart, nowt wrong with the programming" with their code, as it'll get torn apart when people use it - killing their reputation and future prospects. The "brain fart" mentality I speak of, is from people who use and support Windows/PCs/Laptops/Tablets/whatever - you know that these things happen, so deal with it accordingly - there's a high probability that the fault(s) might be a one off or occasional annoyance; so you brush them off with an appropriate user-friendly term. Anything that stays, and can be recreated ad infinitum warrants a more in-depth investigation, and can be considered serious.

Soldato

x7AY6Ke.jpg

Ah GPD Pocket, maybe you will need to sell both of these and get a pair of brand new GPD Pocket 2 pocket laptop with Core m3 7y30 Kaby Lake 2C/4T CPU.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket2-7-0-umpc-laptop-win-10-os#/

Linus Sebastian tested GPD Pocket 2 with Windows 10 Home.

Linus had done reinstalled and clean installed Windows 10 thousands of time for reviews and he had no issues with either GPD Pocket 1 and 2. Not surprised you had issues with Windows 10 on your GPD Pocket 1.

Man of Honour
Ah GPD Pocket, maybe you will need to sell both of these and get a pair of brand new GPD Pocket 2 pocket laptop with Core m3 7y30 Kaby Lake 2C/4T CPU.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket2-7-0-umpc-laptop-win-10-os#/

Linus Sebastian tested GPD Pocket 2 with Windows 10 Home.

Linus had done reinstalled and clean installed Windows 10 thousands of time for reviews and he had no issues with either GPD Pocket 1 and 2. Not surprised you had issues with Windows 10 on your GPD Pocket 1.

If you look at comments on that video should see I've already tested the Pocket 2 (shows as top of the comments for me - but not sure the sort order for other people) - for a number of reasons I'm sticking with the original - sure the CPU is faster on the new one but with a couple of tweaks the originals run pretty decently - as far as the Atom line ever does - fan assisted they hold their max clock unlike a lot of tablets where they thermal throttle after a few minutes.

It was just one example of the hugely inconsistent experience with Windows 10 that even on pretty much identical setups the experience can and does vary wildly and that isn't down to the hardware - I also run other PCs and devices with Windows 10.

If you watch the whole video you'll notice he runs into a number of issues I've been complaining about where Windows 10 just does its own thing in the background which on devices like this and their normal usage case is quite inconvenient and poor from a quality of life perspective.

Soldato
You must done something not right, it shouldn't take 8 hours. My Linx 10 tablet only took over 30 mins with first big November 2015 Windows Update.

Other than clicking "Check for updates" there's not much else I could have done - this was straight out of the box, connected to wifi and then the aforementioned check - left it running and went to bed in the end after ~4 hours of waiting.

The tablet failed two weeks later, so it wouldn't surprise me if this elongated wait time, was due to a dodgy component.

Soldato
If you look at comments on that video should see I've already tested the Pocket 2 (shows as top of the comments for me - but not sure the sort order for other people) - for a number of reasons I'm sticking with the original - sure the CPU is faster on the new one but with a couple of tweaks the originals run pretty decently - as far as the Atom line ever does - fan assisted they hold their max clock unlike a lot of tablets where they thermal throttle after a few minutes.

It was just one example of the hugely inconsistent experience with Windows 10 that even on pretty much identical setups the experience can and does vary wildly and that isn't down to the hardware - I also run other PCs and devices with Windows 10.

If you watch the whole video you'll notice he runs into a number of issues I've been complaining about where Windows 10 just does its own thing in the background which on devices like this and their normal usage case is quite inconvenient and poor from a quality of life perspective.

Strange I seemed cant find your comment if you used same username Rroff when I used find on page function in both sort orders, youtube comments are terrible slow updated when I scrolled down and click on view replies are a complete waste of time because it very time consumption.

I watched video again that Linus was talked about issue with Surface Go's DISM Hosting process used 60% of CPU usage so I checked all my 5 devices and 1 VM on WMWare running Redstone 5 latest build 18219.1000 don't have DISM Hosting process in process tab and no DISMHost.exe in details tab in task manager.

I don't know what could cause it and I seem cant reproduce it, I tried ran Windows Update to download updates, ran Microsoft Store to download updates, ran PowerShell command "SFC /scannow" and also ran Windows Update Troubleshooter but dismhost.exe never showed up.

When I ran Disk Clean-Up's Clean up system files and dismhost.exe showed up in details tab and also ran PowerShell with DISM commands "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" dismhost.exe not showed up, "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" dismhost.exe showed up, "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" dismhost.exe showed up. There was no high CPU usage at all when dismhost.exe showed up. While I ran DISM commands I right click on dismhost.exe and click on Open File Location then File Explorer opened C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\ECF568D6-51A0-41B6-95BA-30AE9184FD41 showed dismhost.exe, DISM dll files and a en-US folder contained DISM dll.mui files, when DISM commands completed task and that folder will be automatically deleted. I tested ran DISM command "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" again then when it processed to 6% and I decided to kill dismhost.exe process and see what happen.

It will look like this:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17134.1
Image Version: 10.0.17134.254
[=== 6.3% ]
Error: 1726
The remote procedure call failed.
An error occurred closing a servicing component in the image.
Wait a few minutes and try running the command again.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I am not sure why you and Linus never thought of kill dismhost.exe process that would stop high CPU usage and read dism.log could help you to find the root cause why dismhost.exe is run all the time at high CPU usage and help prevent it to happen again.

So earlier today I went shopping in town centre, visited PC World and checked all Windows 10 desktops, laptops and tablets, none of it had dismhost.exe in task manager. I found Surface Go tablet which is exactly the same model Linus used in the video then I enabled Bluetooth on Surface Go to paired with my Galaxy S9 and turned on mobile data so I can used Surface Go to tested browsed internet for a sec and ran Windows Update to downloaded and installed updates but interesting there was no dismhost.exe in task manager and there was no high CPU usage!

Maybe you and Linus or his staff must had installed some software that caused to triggered dismhost.exe to run all the time caused high CPU usage or possible never thought of deleted all the files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\ regularly.

Back
Top Bottom