So...How do I get into detailing?

Soldato
1.) Buy a Porter Cable, G220 or similar plus a variety of pads from a retailer such as:http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pcdepot.html

2.) Read the guides on detailing world.

3.) Do your own car. Don't mince about with buying panels, you have to be a total idiot to screw it up.

4.) Don't bother with a paint thickness gauge. Not only do they make you instantly gay, they are totally unnecessary unless you are a pro detailer with an existing client base, and even then I doubt they are necessary. An over-anal accessory in my opinion.

5.) Buy more equipment as and when you need it.

Start with a low cut compound such as Meguiars Speed Glaze and then move onto more aggressive compounds if necessary.

Detailing isn't some wondrous art that only the gifted to do. Anyone who can read, and follow a set of instructions can get a good result.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure you want to "invest" all this money on something you have never really tried before? Surely just buy a few of the basics and take it from there. Paint thickness gauges can range from cheapo to hundreds of £££.

I was hoping I could get away without using one. I guess the worst that could happen is I balls up a panel and it needs a respray, which as I know a local repair shop well and get decent prices and decent work, it wont be a disaster.

Obviously some in this thread don't see the point, but as with anything, if you want the results, one way or another you need to put the work in. "It'll do" is a phrase all to many people seem to live by. I'm really into my detailing, but only to the extent that I get the results I'm happy with, and willing to spend time doing it. I'll only really do it for close friends or if someone's in a fix.

You've got the URL for perhaps the most comprehensive guide you need Mr Tommo, and your intentions don't seem unrealistic at all. Once you've read a few guides, got yourself some kit and products together, I'm sure you'll get into it in no time. As for the paint thickness gauge - I'd not bother unless you decide to do it for money, or for people who would throw a hissy if the worse did happen.

...then the pictures of your car at the top of the multi-storey near Vue Cinema/Morrisons will look even better ;)

Thanks for that mate. Seems "detailing" is top of the make fun of list around here, from people with computer specs in their sigs :o :p

Well spotted on the multi-storey ;)

Think I will hold off the PTG then.

Dual Action or Rotary Polisher?

Soldato
OP
I like my cars to be immaculate however I have to admit that detailing, especially machine polishing is the most boring thing in the world and I can't bring myself to do it more than once per year.

I did the Boxster about a month ago and spent about 7 hours in total, that's 2009s detail done, by the time August 2010 rolls around I might be able to force myself to doing it again (although I might just pay somebody next time to be honest). Till then it's just wash and the occasional wax to keep it looking good.

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to be doing my own car every couple of months, infact I'd have just had it done when I first bought it and then If it became really bad again, which I doubt it would as Im pretty careful. Im not talking swirl marks you can only see under a torch, its as if its been washed with a house brick :p

1.) Buy a Porter Cable, G220 or similar plus a variety of pads from a retailer such as:http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pcdepot.html

Cheers for that link.
2.) Read the guides on detailing world.
In the process of doing that now.
3.) Do your own car. Don't mince about with buying panels, you have to be a total idiot to screw it up.
That's good to hear :)

4.) Don't bother with a paint thickness gauge. Not only do they make you instantly gay, they are totally unnecessary unless you are a pro detailer with an existing client base, and even then I doubt they are necessary. An over-anal accessory in my opinion.
Again, very good to hear. Im only planning on doing my own car, parents, friends at the moment :)

5.) Buy more equipment as and when you need it.

Start with a low cut compound such as Meguiars Speed Glaze and then move onto more aggressive compounds if necessary.

Detailing isn't some wondrous art that only the gifted to do. Anyone who can read, and follow a set of instructions can get a good result.

To be honest, detailing world does make things sounds seriously complicated, but I guess thats what comes with such in detail guides, once Ive got the tools in my hand I expect it to be fairly obvious :)

I take it you've done your own?

Soldato
It gets stick because the degrees it goes to border on ridiculous. Plus given its own name - "detailing" makes it sound like something holy, when in essence it is just an expensive car wash on crack.

I mean spending 100's or 1000's of pounds on a wax and ensuring you have total uniform paint thickness is pedantic.

But when people so much money on cars, they'll spend the money to keep it clean

Soldato
I bought the starter bundle that most places do, the G220, load of pads (ok i bought more of these than needed), #80 and #83, then some AG stuff to go with it.

All I have wanted to buy additionally I bought as samples off the forum, most of the time a sample is more than enough to do several cars! Will save you a fortune.

The dodo "panel" pots, can probably get 3-4 cars out of one depending on their size, £6 instead of £30 for a big tub of wax which may not be "cool" 6 months down the line.

See my thinking!

Soldato
OP
It gets stick because the degrees it goes to border on ridiculous. Plus given its own name - "detailing" makes it sound like something holy, when in essence it is just an expensive car wash on crack.

I mean spending 100's or 1000's of pounds on a wax and ensuring you have total uniform paint thickness is pedantic.

But when people so much money on cars, they'll spend the money to keep it clean

I bought the starter bundle that most places do, the G220, load of pads (ok i bought more of these than needed), #80 and #83, then some AG stuff to go with it.

All I have wanted to buy additionally I bought as samples off the forum, most of the time a sample is more than enough to do several cars! Will save you a fortune.

The dodo "panel" pots, can probably get 3-4 cars out of one depending on their size, £6 instead of £30 for a big tub of wax which may not be "cool" 6 months down the line.

See my thinking!

Yeah I understand that, I havent come across any anal threads like that yet but Im still on the equipment pages.

Im thinking of going for the Kestrel DAS-6. Going to play it safe and opt for a Dual Action Polisher as I can always move on afterwards.

This kit comes with the 6" pads, Megs #80 and #83. Then Im going to get the backing kit for the smaller pads too.

What AG products have you also got?

Could you link me to where the samples are please mate?

Ive got clay, but for the initial wash... is the foam lance really that important?

Soldato
Tried it :(

Heres a list of what Ive tried so far by hand.

AG Super Resin Polish
AG Ultra Deep Shine
Poorboys Black Haze
Poorboys Blue wax
Meg (black bottle :confused:)

I give up.

Its a bit early to give up after having only tried one polish and a polish that is non abrasive as gets good results from having a high filler content.

If you want to try something to shift swirls get something like 3M Perfect-It III (fine). Apply it by hand but work it hard and evenly until it gets slightly warm. Even if you go for a machine polisher this won't be money wasted as it is designed to be applied by machine.

Using this method I could probably remove the bulk of the swirls on my car (it doesn't have many as I do a top-up wax every wash) but as Eidolon says it is soul destroyingly boring and its a 15k per annumn tool rather than a showpiece so it would feel like urinating into the wind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I understand that, I havent come across any anal threads like that yet but Im still on the equipment pages.

Im thinking of going for the Kestrel DAS-6. Going to play it safe and opt for a Dual Action Polisher as I can always move on afterwards.

This kit comes with the 6" pads, Megs #80 and #83. Then Im going to get the backing kit for the smaller pads too.

What AG products have you also got?

Could you link me to where the samples are please mate?

Ive got clay, but for the initial wash... is the foam lance really that important?

Personally I dont foam my car, but I could see why you would want to if it was really caked during winter. Ill be getting one at some point, but not top of the list of things to buy.

There is a big samples section on the DW forum where members resell on smaller sample sizes of product. I have a selection of wax/sealants and some #105 and #205 that I got.

The AG stuff is just things like rubber and vinyl care, tar remover (which isnt that good) etc.

Soldato
I take it you've done your own?

Yeah I think i've done my car about 3 or 4 times now, i've done a friends ATR (not you Skywalker ;) ) a mates rover 600 which had the worst paint i've ever seen, and numerous others, usually friends or local people from car forums.

It never struck me as good way to earn money. It's a lot of money for Joe Public to pay someone like me to do, mainly because I take my time and do it properly. I have no insurance or anything like that, only the word of the people involved that they won't sue me should anything go wrong - not good.

Obviously stakes are lower as my car isn't worth much, but i've never even come close to getting out of my depth.

When I get my new car it will be the first thing I do to it.

Soldato
OP
:o
Its a bit early to give up after having only tried one polish and a polish that is non abrasive as gets good results from having a high filler content.

If you want to try something to shift swirls get something like 3M Perfect-It III (fine). Apply it by hand but work it hard and evenly until it gets slightly warm. Even if you go for a machine polisher this won't be money wasted as it is designed to be applied by machine.

Using this method I could probably remove the bulk of the swirls on my car (it doesn't have many as I do a top-up wax every wash) but as Eidolon says it is soul destroyingly boring and its a 15k per annumn tool rather than a showpiece so it would feel like urinating into the wind.

Yeah I can't see me doing this to the same car twice. I'd just like a clean slate to start on again. Ive knocked my bumper and want to get it resprayed, so its kicked my arse into action to sort the rest of the car out too.

For the last stage, have I got any products that would be suitable? Such as the Poorboys Bluw Wax?

Personally I dont foam my car, but I could see why you would want to if it was really caked during winter. Ill be getting one at some point, but not top of the list of things to buy.

There is a big samples section on the DW forum where members resell on smaller sample sizes of product. I have a selection of wax/sealants and some #105 and #205 that I got.

The AG stuff is just things like rubber and vinyl care, tar remover (which isnt that good) etc.

Thats good then as its just saved me money for the foam lance. Ive just signed up so will get looking at the sale section :)

Yeah I think i've done my car about 3 or 4 times now, i've done a friends ATR (not you Skywalker ;) ) a mates rover 600 which had the worst paint i've ever seen, and numerous others, usually friends or local people from car forums.

It never struck me as good way to earn money. It's a lot of money for Joe Public to pay someone like me to do, mainly because I take my time and do it properly. I have no insurance or anything like that, only the word of the people involved that they won't sue me should anything go wrong - not good.

Obviously stakes are lower as my car isn't worth much, but i've never even come close to getting out of my depth.

When I get my new car it will be the first thing I do to it.

To be honest I don't particularly want to earn money from it but a bit of pocket money in the long run would be nice. Knowing me I'd end up doing it for free for relatives and mates anyway.

Soldato
I hate to dig up the same pictures again as even i'm getting fed up of seeing them but the below is what I used to get the effect seen in the pics.

1.) Pre wash snowfoam (Totally dubious of its ability but its lots of fun :D). Rinse with pressure washer.
2.) Attentive wash with Megs NXT Wash using 2 bucket method. Rinse again.
3.) Blade dry and finish off with waffle weave towels.
4.) Apply clay bar with Quik Detailer (Again skeptical of this too but might as well). Wipe clean with Microfibre. May have used paint cleanser here but can't remember.
5.) Mask off trim, lights etc with blue 3M tape. Put paper on windows.
6.) Start Porter cable treatment. Used Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze. One pass on slow speed to spread polish, Second pass on medium speed. Third on full speed. All using circular motions with a constant speed.
7.) Wipe off residue
8.) Wax with Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
9.) Wax again if necessary
10.) Jizz all over incredibly shiny car.
11.) Commit suicide when it rains ten minutes later.

Bear in mind its a 10 year old car and I consider the above to be a very, very, very anal "wash"

forsale4.JPG

forsale6.JPG

forsale5.JPG

forsale8.JPG

Soldato
OP
I hate to dig up the same pictures again as even i'm getting fed up of seeing them but the below is what I used to get the effect seen in the pics.

1.) Pre wash snowfoam (Totally dubious of its ability but its lots of fun :D). Rinse with pressure washer.
2.) Attentive wash with Megs NXT Wash using 2 bucket method. Rinse again.
3.) Blade dry and finish off with waffle weave towels.
4.) Apply clay bar with Quik Detailer (Again skeptical of this too but might as well). Wipe clean with Microfibre. May have used paint cleanser here but can't remember.
5.) Mask off trim, lights etc with blue 3M tape. Put paper on windows.
6.) Start Porter cable treatment. Used Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze. One pass on slow speed to spread polish, Second pass on medium speed. Third on full speed. All using circular motions with a constant speed.
7.) Wipe off residue
8.) Wax with Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
9.) Wax again if necessary
10.) Jizz all over incredibly shiny car.
11.) Commit suicide when it rains ten minutes later.

Bear in mind its a 10 year old car and I consider the above to be a very, very, very anal "wash"

forsale4.JPG

forsale6.JPG

forsale5.JPG

forsale8.JPG

:D Thanks for that it will come in useful, and great results by the look of it!!

Back
Top Bottom