So I bought a cheap Chinese bike...

Soldato
My son has just turned 16 and has been desperate for a moped. We do a bit of MX together so he knows how to ride a bike and he wanted one with gears. He's not into race reps and prefers classic bikes, so when I heard about this bike called the Skyteam ACE on this site (http://www.realclassic.co.uk/skyteam_ace_125_review.html) then discovered a 50cc version it sounded perfect. It's basically a copy of the Honda Dream 50, which costs £6k....the Chinese version is £1400.

I won't pretend its been plain sailing though. These bikes get good reviews and the quality is pretty good (very in places) but some of it is a bit shoddy, and the bike really is a baseplate to then upgrade with better parts. Biggest issue was the bike being delivered and only making 15mph. Turned out to be a combination of a jet blocked with silicone, a dodgy HT lead (replaced with NGK) and an inlet valve with zero clearance. Also there are all sorts of crude restrictions that needed getting rid of.

Now we have a bike that does 35 on the flat, so about there with it, although a bit more acceleration would be better, so will look to open up the exhaust as this heavily restricted and then re-jet as its a bit lean.

It's a great looking bike though and I've had a lot of fun test riding it, to the point where I quite fancy buying a 125 version myself (then adding a 150 kit to it, although apparently they are bringing out a 250 next year). It's funny to be able to just pick it up to move it round the garage - can't do that with my GS!

There's a dedicated forum where some people have built some lovely looking bikes, and a UK tuning company that makes loads of upgrade parts.

So, next steps are exhaust, better tyres (£30 each for Michelins) and better rear shocks (£38 a pair!) then maybe some clip on bars.

No idea how well it will last, and it will probably be worth nothing in a years time, but it should be an interesting project!

Here's a few pics of our little ride out to show it to his grandad (also biker) earlier today.

Untitled by sagalout, on Flickr

by sagalout, on Flickr

by sagalout, on Flickr

by sagalout, on Flickr

by sagalout, on Flickr

Soldato
:cool:

These are fabulous looking little bikes, Chinese or otherwise. I see they are going for £1100 brand new on eBay (plus PDI and reg etc) which seems like a good deal if they hold together.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I can't imagine what it must be like to be limited to 35mph every where, I think ide lose the will to live pdq, still, when your 16 & it's your first bike, he probably doesn't give a stuff.

Having said that I bet you it won't be long before it's a case of daaaaaad, can we make it go a bit faster?... :p

Man of Honour
I can't imagine what it must be like to be limited to 35mph every where, I think ide lose the will to live pdq, still, when your 16 & it's your first bike, he probably doesn't give a stuff.

Having said that I bet you it won't be long before it's a case of daaaaaad, can we make it go a bit faster?... :p

I've only been riding my 125 for just over 2 weeks and I already get that feeling sometimes when it tops out around 65!

Still that's a lovely looking little bike and at 16 you can't really go wrong.

Associate
Hi Sagalout ,just bought one of these mopeds for my daughter ,bikes been back to the shop already because it was as flat as a fart ,it's now back and improved but still feels flat .It's difficult to know whether it's still has a fault or it's just a moped as i'm coming from my RC8 .Are you aware of the restrictions ,I know there is one in the inlet manifold and the exhaust is heavily retricted ,as I reckon it needs help or it could be a liability in modern traffic .I was going to take off the inlet manifold to remove the restrictor to start with and was wondering if it would need rejetting but not sure where to get the parts from

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Lovely looking little nifty fifty, Reminds me of a Gitane Champion Veloce. :cool:

Also I owned a 125 Chinese Chopper for well over a year & it didn't give me one bit of trouble & I thrashed the knackers off it everywhere I went & kept it outside under a cover. FS365 kept the chrome in good order & I sold it for what I payed for it.
That's from an Actual owner as well not someone who has just read stuff off the internet. :p

I've yet to see a better looking 125
RChOBEOl.jpg

Soldato
Picking up one of the Sinnis bikes soon (most likely an apache)
As long as you take care of them it looks like not much goes wrong other than small electrical stuff which happens on most bikes.

Caporegime
Lovely looking little nifty fifty, Reminds me of a Gitane Champion Veloce. :cool:

Also I owned a 125 Chinese Chopper for well over a year & it didn't give me one bit of trouble & I thrashed the knackers off it everywhere I went & kept it outside under a cover. FS365 kept the chrome in good order & I sold it for what I payed for it.
That's from an Actual owner as well not someone who has just read stuff off the internet. :p

I've yet to see a better looking 125
RChOBEOl.jpg

that the one you could stick a 250 engine into?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
that the one you could stick a 250 engine into?

They do make a 350cc Version, Same bike but with the 350 lump in it.

Before I got rid I had a fella on my Facebook who had put a 650 in his, Don't think I'd want to trust that frame & brake set up with a 650 though. :p
You are right though Tefal a 250 would be perfect & I did look around for a Super dream, Nice lazy twin 250 like that would have suited it sweet with some cut down pipes.

Soldato
OP
Hi Sagalout ,just bought one of these mopeds for my daughter ,bikes been back to the shop already because it was as flat as a fart ,it's now back and improved but still feels flat .It's difficult to know whether it's still has a fault or it's just a moped as i'm coming from my RC8 .Are you aware of the restrictions ,I know there is one in the inlet manifold and the exhaust is heavily retricted ,as I reckon it needs help or it could be a liability in modern traffic .I was going to take off the inlet manifold to remove the restrictor to start with and was wondering if it would need rejetting but not sure where to get the parts from

Yeah, I had the same initial issues. From the dealer it was woefully slow, struggling to hit 15mph. I took it to the dealer and they did the following:

Removed inlet washer
Bypassed that egr thing which connects to the carb and exhaust
Set valves correctly (inlet had zero clearance)
Needle set to middle position
Replaced HT lead and plug with NGK ones

It now runs acceptably, although like you it does feel slow after getting off a big bike. One thing to check is the speedo which, on ours at least, under reads by about 5mph at the top end, so 30mph on the clock is actually 35 (verified by gps app and me following on my GS)

I've just bought a chain and sprockets to play around with the gearing, as apparently it's happier pulling a bigger gear. Other than that the remaining restriction is the exhaust which is a bigger job, but as it's currently doing 35 and its a 4T 50cc, I think that's about it. Next step would be the dodgy area of 70cc kits.

Take a look a ooracing for parts :)

Soldato
i will be picking up a well used Chinese bike next weekend for a couple of quid.. its only a year old but looks like it was kept in the sea .

Planning a little project with it so will make a thread once i start

Back
Top Bottom