So I can build computers..

Caporegime
There's no money in building computers, unless you go for the very high end stuff.

The money is in extended warranties, and selling USB cables for £15 to people who don't know better.

PC retail is pants, btw. And like has been said, anyone can build computers, it's not a skilled job.

Having said that, tech support is also pants, and you quickly become jaded (like me and everyone else who does it for a living :p)

Associate
Drug trials it is!

Thorpy.gif

;)

Soldato
Computers are generally built by lots of old lady's on an assembly line for minimum wage. First old lady continuously sits motherboards in cases, second old lady continuously inserts screws, third old lady continuously tightens screws, fourth old lady inserts RAM, fifth old lady inserts CPUs etc. etc.

Man of Honour
Computers are generally built by lots of old lady's on an assembly line for minimum wage. First old lady continuously sits motherboards in cases, second old lady continuously inserts screws, third old lady continuously tightens screws, fourth old lady inserts RAM, fifth old lady inserts CPUs etc. etc.

I would put the CPU and memory in mobo before mobo in case, but what do I know, I'm unskilled lol

I would also not continuously tighten screws, stripped threads are bad

Soldato
I would put the CPU and memory in mobo before mobo in case, but what do I know, I'm unskilled lol

I would also not continuously tighten screws, stripped threads are bad

** comment removed .. and you know why **

I wasn't really thinking it through with any great thought. Just giving an impression.

But it general it is true. I used to be an engineer in a factory that built Dell laptops amongst other things and it was old lady's as far as the eye could see ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
My advice to the op is start doing it for yourself, while working your current job. Thats what I do, I earn about £90 a week on top of my wage, which I know isnt a great amount. But its money in the pocket.

I basically charge £30. And then whatever parts may need to be bought. Sometimes the job is easy, so an easy £30. Other times it can be a pain in the ass, Like getting access to a laptop fan which requires a complete strip down.

But I generally always make a little extra cash during the week, and this is someone who cant drive! I'd probably make more if I could.

This thread pops up all the time, and the answer is always the same. You won't get a job building computers, or if you do it'll pay minimum wage. It's unskilled work that any moron can do.
The likes of Dell, who mass produce home computers make small margins on each machine, even with a highly automated assembly factory.
If you wanted to get into high end PC hardware, you needed to do it in the mid-late 1990s. Also people think that a PC you built 2 years ago somehow came with a free lifetime warranty and expect you to fix it everytime it goes wrong for £0.

You could open a computer repair shop like a guy near me and charge £100 for a £20 PSU.
Every few years a new independent computer shop opens up in my town. They never last more than a few years.

This thread pops up all the time, and the answer is always the same. You won't get a job building computers, or if you do it'll pay minimum wage. It's unskilled work that any moron can do.

The likes of Dell, who mass produce home computers make small margins on each machine, even with a highly automated assembly factory.

If you wanted to get into high end PC hardware, you needed to do it in the mid-late 1990s. Also people think that a PC you built 2 years ago somehow came with a free lifetime warranty and expect you to fix it everytime it goes wrong for £0.

The only way to make big money on decent PC hardware would be via the internet, to which you could never compete against the buying power of the big names in the business as they buy thousands of one product at once.

Soldato
That's not a very laddish job.

Lol :D

Unfortunately :( I remember when I made my first computer - back in them days I was a crowned a young prodigy :p Now everyone can do it :( :p

Back
Top Bottom