So I Just Bought A Slow Cooker!!

I am doing this very dish this afternoon in mine -

Gordon Ramsey - Red lentil and chorizo stew. (I have modified it a little to make it easier)

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sweet paprika
3 garlic cloves
1 chorizo sausage cut into thick chunks ( i also have used italian sausages)
1 onion finely chopped
2 celery stalks finely chopped
2 red chilli's finely chopped
1 litre chicken stock
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
250 gm red lentils
Handful of chopped coriander

Method

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add paprika, garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add chorizo, onion, celery, capsicum and cook 2-3 mins until chorizo begins to sizzle.
Bung it in the slow cooker and add the stock, tomatoes and lentils.
Put it on high and simmer for an hour, adding a cup of water if it becomes to thick. Season to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with the coriander. Serve immediately.

Tastes better if you let it cool and reheat it the following day.

Got this stewing away in the slow cooker now. Going to get a good 9 hours on low. Can't wait to scran later on!

Making pulled pork again today, makes an amazing Sunday dinner with lots of leftovers for lunches.

That chorizo stew is on the cards next weekend. :)

Nice. Made pulled pork again on Saturday and it was delicious. Got three freezer bags of it so can have some this week and for the Superbowl and some other time :D

Had a bash at slow cooked beef (chuck steak) curry. Pretty good actually, but I'm thinking of renaming my slow cooker "Pulled Pork Machine" :p

The nicest man in the world (tom kerridge) was on Saturday Kitchen the other week, made this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shin_of_beef_with_ginger_70320

Do it in the slow cooker!

In my local butcher I can buy a kilo and a half of shin for about nine quid. I cut it into thirds to feed two of us (about 250 grams each before cooking). That's 3 of these meals, for two at £2.50 per head for the meat! Cut it into 250 gram steaks, freeze the portions and tie a bit of string around each steak to keep it together before marinating. If a steak is falling apart, I used wooden toothpicks to keep the steaks together through cooking and then tied it up.

Its bloomin' delicious.

Here's my adaption, did it today, was excellent...

• Place the beef shins into a large bowl, cover with the red wine and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
  • Remove the shins from the wine, then pat the shins dry.
  • In a frying pan, add some oil and fry the shins until browned very VERY well. Set aside.
  • In the same frying pan, add a little oil and the onion, carrot, celery and ginger and cook until browned.
  • Add some tomato puree – cook for a minute then add two tablespoon of plain flour, stur to coat then put them in the slow cooker.
  • Put the strained red wine into the frying pan and boil - you MUST skim off the scum that comes to the top using a ladel or spoon - something about the wine reacting with the blood or something...
  • Place the shin on the top of the vegetables, add a few bay leaves and a bunch of thyme, and cover with the skimmed red wine and beef stock until submerged.
  • Cook on low for 12 hours or high for about 9 hours if you are AFK, I put mine on high for the first 3.5 hours then switched to low for 4.5 hours as I needed to fit it into todays baby schedule and I was was attending it. TBH I just made up the cooking times, stick it on for as long as you want ;)
  • When cooked, remove the shin and leave the shins to cool down.
  • Pass the stock through a fine metal sieve into a saucepan, discard the veg and let it cool a little, then skim off any fat by laying a sheet or two of kitchen roll over the sauce.
  • Place the saucepan onto the heat and cook briskly over a medium heat until reduced to half the volume.
  • Add a dribble of balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
  • Throw the shin into the stock to reaheat.
  • Serve with whatever you like.
  • I cooked some strips of unsmoked bacon in the same frying pan, then threw in some butter and some cabbage and made some steamed tatties .

Last edited:
Going to have to try the beef curry soon, that sounds amazing!

I love the idea of pulled pork but prok really doesn't agree with me, leaves me feeling terrible the next day and unlikely to sleep as my temperature rises to about 1000 degrees!!!

Any good recipes for pulled lamb?

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

I know this has already been said but this is an outstanding pulled pork recipe, just done this on a smallish joint of pork and it was absolutely unreal (modified ingredients slightly).

Still loads left aswell! HURRAH!

Got another one for yous that I made today for lunch.

Its using the Slow Cooker as a Bain marie waterbath kinda thing to cook eggs, and served with scottish smoked salmon. yum yum.

You need a ramakin that fits in your slow cooker - 1 per person - and something to put under them that lifts them from the base of the crock pot, a saucer will do if it fits, I used a couple of soy sauce trays from a chinese serving set I had in the cupboard.

break 2 eggs into each ramakin. Drizzle a glug of double cream over them (about 2-3 tablespoons of). Add a little salt and ground pepper and grate some cheese over the top - I used a mix of cheddar and red lester.

Cover the Ramakins with a tin foil lid and place them on the saucer or whatever. Boil the kettle and fill the pot until the water level is about half way up the ramakin.

Put the lid on and cook on high for about 35 minutes. Remove them and sprinkle some chopped spring onion and a few plucked parsley leaves (I also used a tarragon leaf in each).

Put them on a plate and lay the smoked salmon around them and serve with a wedge of lemon.

I have some photos but don't know how to add them to the forum :(

Anyway, bloomin lovely, good for breakfast, lunch or a starter :D

Last edited:
Carolina Pulled pork.

I'm cooking this overnight as I have 12 hours of dance/badminton tomorrow! :eek:
I bought a 1.2kg shoulder joint; I'm sure I'll be able to eat it all throughout the day! :)

Edit: Ok, I don't have 8 hours to spare so a high heat 4 hours will hopefully still taste as good!

Last edited:
Trying something different today:

BBQ pulled chuck steak. Same technique as pork (so DcD's but with the smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder) but less cayenne this time. It's going to be cooking all day while I'm out. Then I'll serve it up tonight.

I guess the only real benefit I can see is that you use the removable bowl on the hob for searing large chunks of meat. In which case, you preserve all the flavours from searing when using the same bowl to sear and slow cook with...

...But its a personal choice (I think, unless somebody can provide an alternative reason?).
In the end I picked up both 3.5l models, one with stoneware pot and one with the aluminium, to compare and contrast.

In terms of usage, the aluminium one seems to get up to temperature faster but given it's a slow cooker that's hardly a USP worth having. But it did seem to keep a more stable temperature, albeit by only a few degrees.

The single biggest selling point for me though was the weight of the pot - it's almost 2kg lighter than the stoneware one, which makes using it a doddle. Far easier to wash-up afterwards as well!

I make this in my slow cooker and its nice, but seems to be lacking something. Thinking of maybe pouring half a bottle of Guinness in next time to see if that makes a big difference. I love steak and ale pie made with guinness so it should be nice.

casserole steak
1 Swede diced
1 turnip diced
1 red onion diced
1 leek chopped
150g of Soup and broth mix (Pearl Barley (55%),Yellow Split Peas ,Green Split Peas ,Marrowfat Peas ,Red Split Lentils)
2 x beef oxo cubes
salt + black pepper

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

This needs to be a sticky

Back
Top Bottom