So I test-drove a Tesla today

Soldato
Tesla came to the business park I work on today, and I had the chance to drive a Model S 75D, and wow, what an experience.

I didn't come in with any prior expectations; I'd never driven an auto nor an electric car before.

To start off, the car felt very "solid". Good build quality, if not amazing. Some of the high end German cars do it better, but there's a lot to be said about the simplicity of the Model S. It's very nice, and I would be very happy if I spent 100K on one of these. As an odd side note, the indicator sounds very nice :)

Driving position is great, and very adaptable.

Autopilot is cool (really cool, in fact), but I don't like it - I feel as though I'm less involved in the driving process, and hence less aware of what's going on. Great I think for stop start traffic :)

Now let's talk speed. My father is a bit of a car addict, having owned various high performance vehicles inc Porsche, BMW, Audi (interesting side note, managed to bag the first new era S5 in the UK), and so I've been subjected to various 0-62 times - he currently has an M5 Competition, and it feels quick.

But this Tesla, even at 4.3 to 62, feels much quicker. As a driving purist, I.e. lover of naturally aspirated petrol engines, the way the car responds to the throttle is highly addictive. It's not twitchy like my little Fiesta is; it's very calm in fact. However, put your foot down, and the only thing you can hear is the whine from the electric motors, and the funny sounds you can't help but expell from your mouth, while your chest is being pinned to the back of the seat. It flies.

The acceleration isn't just "quick", it's brutal. And it's really ****** fun.

As an every day car, it makes total sense to me - the way the car creeps forward in drive, the way you can control the speed almost entirely with the accelerator (it brakes when you take your foot off for regenerating batteries - but it's gradual, so the less pressure you apply, the quicker it slows), and the way it just responds is so damn nice. It's very intuitive, and I don't think I'd have petrol daily again.

But.

There is one key thing missing from the experience for me - let me explain.

For me, driving is about how a car excites my senses, and part of that excitement comes from sound.

The V8 in the M5, for example, makes such a nice sound. The deep, throaty monster never fails to put a smile on my face. And, for me, that's the problem - it doesn't scratch the itch of a "driver's" car - you wouldn't want to take it on a tour through the Scottish Highlands.

It's not that it's boring, by any means, it's just that the performance doesn't do enough to outweigh the lack of stimulation through sound; it can't make you smile after putting your window down in a tunnel and flooring it.

Overall, I would 100% buy one, but only if I could afford something like a Golf R, or Porsche Cayman as a secondary car, for when I want to hear as much as I feel.

Associate
Surprised there isn’t an option to pipe an AMG E63S soundtrack into the cabin?
Or even outside as well ... Could be marketed as a pedestrian safety feature.

Soldato
But this Tesla, even at 4.3 to 62, feels much quicker. As a driving purist, I.e. lover of naturally aspirated petrol engines, the way the car responds to the throttle is highly addictive. It's not twitchy like my little Fiesta is; it's very calm in fact. However, put your foot down, and the only thing you can hear is the whine from the electric motors, and the funny sounds you can't help but expell from your mouth, while your chest is being pinned to the back of the seat. It flies.

The acceleration isn't just "quick", it's brutal. And it's really ****** fun.

interesting -
how much power would you use in day to day driving if you owned one ?
in the same manner I(you?) do not nail the accelerator to minimise overtake time, or to get to NSL, having an eye on economy and mechanical sympathy, tyres ...
you would learn that despite the lack of drama/acoustics associated with the acceleration in the tesla you are cutting range, by every brutal acceleration.

Soldato
when the Leafs were first introduced there was talk of having a digital noise broadcast outside so that the public would be warned something was approaching. i did hear rumours that someone had done the TIE fighter sound on theirs but tht might have been apocryphal :D

dod

dod

Soldato
- you wouldn't want to take it on a tour through the Scottish Highlands..

Tesla did actually take one round the NC500, just to prove it could be done even without much infrastructure.
I'd take one in a minute. Even allowing for the range limitations it would do 90% of my driving. It's the inconvenience of the 10% that stops me going electric.

Soldato
Interestingly, in contrast to this, most of the real world would not be happy to throw £100k at a Tesla (Prices are increasing too), because the build quality is pretty pants.

The M5 Competition, I'm assuming that's an F10? Even so, that is much quicker (relatively speaking) to 62 than the Tesla here, but might not feel quicker because it isn't all available on tap.

My honest fear of something like a Tesla is, I wouldn't be able to help myself booting it up slip roads and away from lights, only to find I left myself disastrously short of the range I needed to get to work, which would increase my journey time probably 2 fold.

Soldato
OP
Tesla did actually take one round the NC500, just to prove it could be done even without much infrastructure.
I'd take one in a minute. Even allowing for the range limitations it would do 90% of my driving. It's the inconvenience of the 10% that stops me going electric.

The only reason I wouldn't is because I wouldn't find it as fun as a sporty 2 seater convertible :)

"Never driven auto"
"My dad has an M5 Competition"

Have you never driven his cars? :eek:

Only recently passed my test :)

Have you ever spent £100k on a car before, so you know that you'd be happy to spend £100k on one of these?

Mainly because I've been in a number of cars throughout the year valued around that range new (and driven some on a track, but doesn't really count), and the Tesla held up very well. Sure, it didn't have as many gadgets as some high end German cars, but it still felt premium.

Even the way it drives is very nice - it drives how you would expect a car to drive, which is easier for me to say when I haven't been driving a manual for years.

To put it into perspective, it took me about 30 seconds to get used to driving the Tesla, but once I was back in my car, it took a few minutes (coming out of the multi story at work, I nearly smashed it into a car going down a ramp, expecting it to slow down a lot when I took my foot off the accelerator :p)

But this is my opinion - something that may be worth 100K to me might not to you :)

interesting -
how much power would you use in day to day driving if you owned one ?
in the same manner I(you?) do not nail the accelerator to minimise overtake time, or to get to NSL, having an eye on economy and mechanical sympathy, tyres ...
you would learn that despite the lack of drama/acoustics associated with the acceleration in the tesla you are cutting range, by every brutal acceleration.

I don't hammer the accelerator in my car - I'm a very smooth driver, and with the Tesla, because the power is very responsive, you don't have to put your foot down as much to get it to react, so I didn't find myself needing to floor it at all
I have been toying with the idea of buying one as a "daily".

But sod it, lambo.

No comparison really though - a Gallardo or a Tesla? ;) Would be a hard decision, but would probably go Tesla for lower running costs

I'd have both in an ideal world though :p

I know I said I miss the sound of a car, but I think it's more than that. In a car with a naturally good soundtrack, you feel the engine too, through vibrations in the car. I think it would be very strange to put your foot down in an electric car and have only 1 thing telling you there's an engine - sound. I'm not sure it would convince me, and hence, would rather have no sound, which is really nice as a daily (even if it isn't "fun")

Soldato
OP
The M5 Competition, I'm assuming that's an F10? Even so, that is much quicker (relatively speaking) to 62 than the Tesla here, but might not feel quicker because it isn't all available on tap.

That's exactly it - the power from petrol cars I've driven is somewhat gradual. I know there are of course cars that are super responsive on the throttle, but I can only compare the cars I've driven :)

One of those things that's hard to explain - you just have to experience it

Soldato
I must be getting old - I want the least noise as possible - no engine -road or wind noise - I want to waft in total silence unless I can listen to top quality music. :)

Back
Top Bottom