• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So I wnet and bought a Bulldoser

You're obviously not looking properly. :p

Wouldn't be the first time...anyways, leave me alone with my prejudices against this CPU...:p,for which i put off buying a Sandybridge for over 8mths, because i thought it would be a game changer...:rolleyes:

A wasted 8mths....bitter and twisted?..not me..:p

EDIT:

And what makes matters worse is now i cant bring myself to buy a Sandybridge setup, because Ivy Bridge is now just a few months away, so all in all, i'll have delayed buying a new system for a year...:(

Last edited:
And what makes matters worse is now i cant bring myself to buy a Sandybridge setup, because Ivy Bridge is now just a few months away, so all in all, i'll have delayed buying a new system for a year...:(

I faced this dilemma... Then I realised I could buy an i5 now and an IB i7 next year :)

Some things are worth putting off - this is not one of them :D

Wouldn't be the first time...anyways, leave me alone with my prejudices against this CPU...:p,for which i put off buying a Sandybridge for over 8mths, because i thought it would be a game changer...:rolleyes:

A wasted 8mths....bitter and twisted?..not me..:p

EDIT:

I think Bulldozer's a pile of crap too :p
And I've lost countless hundreds in the waiting of it, and going AMD, when I could have been Intel, for longer and had a better experience cheaper, funnily enough.

More proof, if any were needed, of what a complete POS Bulldozer is...

Capture-40.jpg

You have to be off your rocker to buy one of these turkeys for gaming....

Most of the games where you see such stark differences use the old Intel Compiler, you realise.

In such games or programs, there's simply no way for AMD to be competitive, even if technically their CPUs wiped the floor with Intel parts.

Most of the games where you see such stark differences use the old Intel Compiler, you realise.

In such games or programs, there's simply no way for AMD to be competitive, even if technically their CPUs wiped the floor with Intel parts.

Except the Phenom II 980 is besting the FX8.
Are compilers used in games, which see the FX line up getting bested by the Phenom II line up, BD aware, in that performance tanks? :p

Last edited:

I'm not really interested in the Intel results as such, more the complete lack of improvement compared to the Phenom II range..

That upsets me FAR more than comparing to any Intel CPU's...that's the REAL failure of Bulldozer as far as I'm concerned.

Then why did AthlonXP wipe the floor with Pentium 4? x86/x64 is the standard they both adhere to.

It's not Intel's fault AMD have butchered a standard core into two smaller less powerful ones, FX-8150 can still be competitive but it require 100% load on all 8 cores which is something rarely seen outside of encoding applications etc.

More proof, if any were needed, of what a complete POS Bulldozer is...

Capture-40.jpg

You have to be off your rocker to buy one of these turkeys for gaming....

Not really the games engine is ancient and uses barely more than one core, and for some reason it's shadows tend to choke up a core too.

Not exactly "proof" of anything, you'd have to be off your rocker to think it did.

Not really the games engine is ancient and uses barely more than one core, and for some reason it's shadows tend to choke up a core too.

Not exactly "proof" of anything, you'd have to be off your rocker to think it did.

But it's a very recent game, so of course it's relevant, this will likely continue to be the case until the next generation of consoles.

Has anybody looked at bulldozer for an ESX Box? (Given bulldozer is effectively a server design which has been branded for consumers)
Would seem to me the quad bulldozer isn't a bad option against an i3 2120 at similar money. Workload will be almost entirely integer. Won't be playing games.

Phenom idle power is too high for my liking, I have nothing particularly against intel (I have a lynnfield running my desktop, an Atom running my firewall, a Core2 generation server, i3 laptop), just pondering what's best for my money

For those who have taken the plunge, I'm a little concerned around motherboards. AM3+ boards seem to predate the FX range, and some would seem to need a bios upgrade to make it work. Obvious problem being I don't intend to buy a seperate chip so I can upgrade it!

I'm not really interested in the Intel results as such, more the complete lack of improvement compared to the Phenom II range..

That upsets me FAR more than comparing to any Intel CPU's...that's the REAL failure of Bulldozer as far as I'm concerned.

+1, It's both frustrating and mind blowing that AMD can spend 5 years developing a CPU that's SLOWER in a lot of scenarios then it's predecessor.

Why did AMD even bother going ahead with the launch of Bulldozer they must have known how badly it was going to be received, if the software technology isn't ready for it then wait until it is.

Has anybody looked at bulldozer for an ESX Box? (Given bulldozer is effectively a server design which has been branded for consumers)
Would seem to me the quad bulldozer isn't a bad option against an i3 2120 at similar money. Workload will be almost entirely integer. Won't be playing games.

Phenom idle power is too high for my liking, I have nothing particularly against intel (I have a lynnfield running my desktop, an Atom running my firewall, a Core2 generation server, i3 laptop), just pondering what's best for my money

For those who have taken the plunge, I'm a little concerned around motherboards. AM3+ boards seem to predate the FX range, and some would seem to need a bios upgrade to make it work. Obvious problem being I don't intend to buy a seperate chip so I can upgrade it!

The problem is though, is that the 2120 isn't the best priced chip ever, seeing as the SB i5's aren't much more in price at all.

Cool Breeze/PCZ, thanks. AMD have about 6 months to sort it out otherwise it will have to be Intel on my next upgrade. Glad I didn't wait for BD and feel for those that did.

CAT-THE-FIFTH, I think it would be a good idea to add RAM speed to that chart.

John
Some more results for you

Handbrake 0.9.5
Normal Preset
Container MKV
Priority high

2600K 4600Mhz
RAM 1600 9-9-9-24
Tron 51.616753 fps
Splice 35.502117 fps
Big 51.450516 fps

FX8150 4600Mhz
RAM 1600 9-9-9-24
Tron 48.685398 fps
Splice 34.118172 fps
Big 47.157837 fps

2500K 4600Mhz
RAM 1600 9-9-9-24
Tron 44.214649 fps
Splice 30.144783 fps
Big 45.051327 fps

I7 920 4000Mhz
RAM 1600 9-9-9-24
Tron 42.470345 fps
Splice 29.149643 fps
Big 42.311901 fps

edit: Added 2500K scores.
The 2500K is quite a bit slower than the 2600K at encoding, expected a little less, but was suprised to see it fall so far behind.
The 8150 sits right in between the 2 sandy variants.
The I7 920 put up a good show considering it's age and low clock speed, almost as quick as the 2500k running 600Mhz faster.
HT is showing it's worth in these tests.

Can I add these scores to my HandBrake chart on another forum??

Back
Top Bottom