So interesting year for TVs... LG OLED, Panasonic OLED, Sony OLED? and Samsung QLED!

Caporegime
All the OLED panels are manufactured by LG though.

Sony and Panasonic are just going to have deals in place with LG.

QLED sounds like Samsung trying to muddy the waters.

Soldato
OP
All the OLED panels are manufactured by LG though.

Sony and Panasonic are just going to have deals in place with LG.
Really? I guess image processing may differ though...

QLED sounds like Samsung trying to muddy the waters.
Possibly.. But it may prove cheaper/comparible in quality, or even better in some areas... Should be interesting...

D3K

D3K

Soldato
The OLED W isn't really something that interests me. Thinner TVs are unnecessary unless they can roll up and be stuck in my backpocket.

Looking forward to the price reductions on the 2016 range. Is it likely they will get WebOS 3.5? Should do if it's not a full revision.

Soldato
I don't get the love for OLED here, they can't even do proper HDR because the brightness is so low compared to the high end LED's / QLED's.

QLED sounds great, will keep an eye out come March for sure.

Soldato
I don't get the love for OLED here, they can't even do proper HDR because the brightness is so low compared to the high end LED's / QLED's.

QLED sounds great, will keep an eye out come March for sure.

Depends on your priorities. I've been waiting for CRT level blacks ever since I sold my much loved 32" HD CRT and Sony FW900. None of the subsequent plasmas came close to reproducing that level of three dimensionality and certainly none of the LCDs. Fore the vast majority of content out there - including HDR movies - you'll get a punchier, more impressive picture with an OLED. Of course, there's cherry picked scenes that look better on a brighter LED panel.

Caporegime
HDR specs are over 1000nits of brightness though? Which the OLED's arent anywhere near... ergo, they aren't reproducing proper HDR, unlike the equivalent LED sets.

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-premium-what-are-specs-which-tvs-support-it

First and foremost, content (4K Blu-ray discs, say) and devices (4K TVs/4K Blu-ray players) must meet or exceed a 4K resolution (3840 x 2160), and support 10-bit colour depth, BT.2020 colour space representation and HDR.

TVs must also be capable of producing more than 90 per cent of the DCI P3 color standard and meet a certain brightness level (measured in nits). 4K TVs must have either a 1000-nit peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level (to cater for the high brightness of LCD TVs), or a 540-nit peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level (to include the generally dimmer, yet stonking black depth, of OLEDs).

Associate
HDR specs are over 1000nits of brightness though? Which the OLED's arent anywhere near... ergo, they aren't reproducing proper HDR, unlike the equivalent LED sets.

HDR is about the range of colours, not just peak brightness. Once you take the HDR1000 TVs off of eye melting demo mode and stick an actual movie on you will see the OLED is much better. Uncharted 4 HDR is simply gorgeous on an OLED, not seen a console game come close to it.

Soldato
http://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-premium-what-are-specs-which-tvs-support-it

First and foremost, content (4K Blu-ray discs, say) and devices (4K TVs/4K Blu-ray players) must meet or exceed a 4K resolution (3840 x 2160), and support 10-bit colour depth, BT.2020 colour space representation and HDR.

TVs must also be capable of producing more than 90 per cent of the DCI P3 color standard and meet a certain brightness level (measured in nits). 4K TVs must have either a 1000-nit peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level (to cater for the high brightness of LCD TVs), or a 540-nit peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level (to include the generally dimmer, yet stonking black depth, of OLEDs).

Hmm, well seems odd that Panasonic have announced the "first HDR compliant" OLED set with a 800nits peak brightness at CES. Marketing spiel a bit misleading perhaps!

Just read that OLED sets lose approx half their brightness after 5 years also? They seem to have all of the major shortcomings that plasma did... i.e. Image retention, low brightness, degradation over time.

Soldato
Hmm, well seems odd that Panasonic have announced the "first HDR compliant" OLED set with a 800nits peak brightness at CES. Marketing spiel a bit misleading perhaps!

Just read that OLED sets lose approx half their brightness after 5 years also? They seem to have all of the major shortcomings that plasma did... i.e. Image retention, low brightness, degradation over time.

My understanding was that with the 2016 range, the "half-life" of the set was longer, more like 10-15 years. Maybe the stats you saw were for the earlier versions/years?

Back
Top Bottom