• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So is the Ryzen 3900X as good as expected?

Soldato
Blah blah blah.

AMD said they found a bug with AGESA and going to fix it on Sep 10th.

Some users have thermal issues because like noobs still placing a blob at the center of the CPU, while the cores are at the sides and instead of the cores the empty gap at the center is cooled down.

Quite a few coolers are convex designed for Intel CPUs, not making full contact with AM4 at the center also. There are whole articles about it.
If it doesn't make contact at the centre it won't matter as the cores are at the sides. Lol?

Loving the CPU, games have a noticeable uplift, streaming is a breeze now, music production doesn't even seem to bother it in the slightest. Came from a 2700x, destroys it

Associate
doesnt do what it says it does. lawsuits will follow. amd will pay out fines. they will profit over what they pay out so they wont care. pretty low move if we honest. said it was this but wasnt that. marketing hype that many got hooked on.i said so from the beginning .

There will be no lawsuits any time soon, if there are to be lawsuits it will be many years away. There is more then enough evidence out there to show that max boost is achievable and it is most likely not the CPU plus AMD will have its own internal testing. People need to relax and give it time.

I was able to hit 4575.5 last night with 6 cores boosting to over 4500 by only changing 1 timing on my ram. Before last night I never boosted above 4350. My entire boost "profile" changed and I still have more room to play with.

Caporegime
doesnt matter when the lawsuit happens it will. you cant just sell stuff saying it will do this then it doesnt. doesnt matter who argues the point. many of the new amd cpus just dont do what they say they do. you cant do that. they will be penalized for that in the future regardless of if they good cpus or not.

Associate
doesnt matter when the lawsuit happens it will. you cant just sell stuff saying it will do this then it doesnt. doesnt matter who argues the point. many of the new amd cpus just dont do what they say they do. you cant do that. they will be penalized for that in the future regardless of if they good cpus or not.

guess you missed the twitter post huh, AMD have confirmed the boost behavior is caused by an agesa bug, you can't sue for a bug if acknowledged and addressed.

Soldato
guess you missed the twitter post huh, AMD have confirmed the boost behavior is caused by an agesa bug, you can't sue for a bug if acknowledged and addressed.

To be fair, lets wait and see if it does address the issue.
I will be doing some testing before and after to make sure that it doesn't actually decrease performance.

Associate
Considering 1.0.0.2 to 1.0.0.3 lowered clocks, it increased performance. So I'm not ruling it out.

i didn't see lowered clocks from 1.0.0.2 to 1.0.0.3, actually my 3900x boosted to 4525 before and after and had the same performance in r20 and r15 and gaming.
maybe the board vendor changed something to cause the loss of clocks speed, remember that whilst AMD tweak the agesa, board vendors also tweak options they have access too in the bios/or add/remove them. jump in the gigabyte thread on overclock.net and you will see this happen every bios revision.
spread spectrum for example on giga boards was a hidden item and pera enabled until the latest bios release, now we can actually disable it and this impacts clockspeed.

Soldato
fyi

https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/1168901636162539536

edit: for the lazy amongst us :D, boost clock issues have been identified and will be addressed.
I remember when the chart showing the frequencies first came out and I thought to myself how counter intuitive it was to see CPU frequencies go up with the core count. Normally it's the other way around.

The other side affect is that you get more people buying the 12core 3900X not because they need the 12 cores but simply because it had the highest advertised single core speed (so better for gaming etc). In reality the 3700X would give almost exactly the same results as a gaming CPU.

I submitted my 3900X results to the DerBauer survey and wasn't surprised that only ~6% of 3900X's reached 4.6GHz. (mine does 4.575Ghz) AMD were definitely over egging the pudding with their advertised boost clocks which might have contributed to some of the subsequent dissappointment.

Soldato

it is a bit of a glass greenhouse where Intel are concerned.

5.0ghz 28 core Xeon demonstration with a hidden 1700w Water Chilller ?
Claiming 5ghz boost clocks when only 1 or 2 cores do it at stock and/or with AVX offset ?

I think both companies are competing fiercely, this is good for us but some mistakes will happen as a consequence.

Associate

New tech always has some teething issues. People need to calm down and let AMD work through this. It has only been 2 months and people are screaming legal action and it is absolutely ridiculous.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

New tech always has some teething issues. People need to calm down and let AMD work through this. It has only been 2 months and Intel fanboys are screaming legal action and it is absolutely ridiculous.

Fixed that for ya :D

Soldato
New tech always has some teething issues. People need to calm down and let AMD work through this. It has only been 2 months and people are screaming legal action and it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not really sure that "people" are really "screaming legal action", if there are few individuals, then they can largely be ignored. Most mostly, it seems, "people" (significant collective) are frustrated with this release and rightly so.

However, it doesn't matter whether it's AMD, Intel, motherboard manufacturers or EA/DICE with a Battlefield game. If you release something that is not ready, incomplete, broken or just a mess, then you're open to heavy criticism IMO. It should never happen, but seems to be increasingly frequent in recent years.
What does irk me though, are those that feel that it's okay to sell something in such states and wrong to voice your frustrations.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not really sure that "people" are really "screaming legal action", if there are few individuals, then they can largely be ignored. Most mostly, it seems, "people" (significant collective) are frustrated with this release and rightly so.

However, it doesn't matter whether it's AMD, Intel, motherboard manufacturers or EA/DICE with a Battlefield game. If you release something that is not ready, incomplete, broken or just a mess, then you're open to heavy criticism IMO. It should never happen, but seems to be increasingly frequent in recent years.
What does irk me though, are those that feel that it's okay to sell something in such states and wrong to voice your frustrations.
bugs happen, just look at spectre and meltdown found god knows how many years latter. its not unfinished or untested, you cannot test litterally every outcome in every situation as its almost impossible.
people need to chillout, it will get resolved. even if it didnt, its 1-200mhz, literally will make what 1-2% difference, who cares?

there is a difference between an unfinished product and ryzen 3000.

Last edited:
Associate

Any technology that is released can and will have bugs, especially cutting edge. You accept this risk when you are an early adopter. This is not restricted to computers but cars, electronics, etc. While you should get what you pay for it is completely unrealistic to expect a fix in short order, that is exactly how you create new problems.

AMD is on it, let them sort it out.

Caporegime
doesnt do what it says it does. lawsuits will follow. amd will pay out fines. they will profit over what they pay out so they wont care. pretty low move if we honest. said it was this but wasnt that. marketing hype that many got hooked on.i said so from the beginning .

Maybe you should catch up. AMD are releasing a bios fix soon to their partners. It's then up to them to implement it into their motherboards.

Caporegime
I wonder how many lawsuits have been successful against car manufacturers that claimed their engines are 300HP but under testing some were found to be lower and others higher.

It's within variance and looks like they are fixing it so they do what was advertised.

However I could care less about clockspeed but the actual performance. I don't care if they run at 2ghz so long as they run games faster than my older processor. Which they do. So I'm happy with that.

As for overclocking. It's dead. A thing of the past. A lot of people now resorting to undervolting, underclocking, etc for efficiency.

The majority of people will run everything at stock. In fact some will run it at less than stock because they won't know how to turn on XMP, etc.

I have 2 guys at work who don't even know how to change a CPU. The only thing 1 of them can do is change RAM. Neither can change a hard drive or add one. Yet they both spent £2400 on pre built PC's.

One of them when he showed me the spec it was laughable. £2300 and it was a 1070 super in it. He spent stupid money on storage (2 x 1tb m2 ssd's one for OS only the other for games, and another 2 x 3tb just in case he needs it but has no use for he will never use) and 32GB of RAM he will never use, etc. And £400 on a cpu he will never see any benefit in over a 3600.

The majority of folk don't have a clue what speed their cpu is and they don't have a clue how to build a computer.

Soldato
Funny, with all this talk of lawsuits and it doesn't matter if AMD acknowledge and fix, I don't see any talk of lawsuits against Nvidia regarding the preposterous failure rates of the 2080 and 2080 Ti. Somewhat interesting the only people crying about AMD right now are Intel luvvies...and by interesting I mean predictable and petulant.

Caporegime
Maybe you should catch up. AMD are releasing a bios fix soon to their partners. It's then up to them to implement it into their motherboards.

dont need to catch up. said cpus dont run at said speeds. its that simple. they will be fined for this. just like intel and amd do all the time. over past gen cpus.

Back
Top Bottom