So I've just started playing Killzone 2....

Soldato
The controls were so heavily criticized they changed it for the upcoming KZ3. There's no longer any delayed response, and the animations play roughly twice the speed. I thought KZ2 was a good game, but it wasn't very open and the combat was repetitive. It's nowhere near as good as any of the Halo games.

Associate
I enjoyed the game when it first came out. I liked the controls because it was more realistic e.g when crouching.

However when MW2 released I got used to those controls and I found it hard to go back to the old killzone controls.

Soldato
OP
The aiming is "hard" because the recoil is more realistic than other shooters, which the noobs hate(d) :p

I appreciate the fact your post may be tongue in cheek, but the difficulty in aiming simply doesn't stem from recoil. Killzone doesn't do anything fancy with recoil. Granted it's not recoil-less like Modern Warfare, but I'm pretty sure the majority of FPS games are exactly the same. The problem in my opinion stems from the fact the PS3 is struggling to keep a high consistent frame rate, mixed with aiming lag. Not a canny mixture!

Soldato
I guess there must be over 250 million gamers who arent human then?

It's another way of saying they are unergonomic - which is true. This conversation has been had many times. The worst part is when people say the pad is symmetrical so it must be ergonomic! This is despite the analog sticks being at different elevations to the buttons themselves on pretty much every single modern console of the last ten years...

The problem isn't with the pads anyway, it's the game itself. Even the developer acknowledges that they made a mistake with it, otherwise they wouldn't have done away with it and implemented a Call of Duty style control scheme. It's not about popularity or keeping up with the Jones... it just works, as opposed to being a headache for far too many people before.

Soldato
OP
Exactly, I'm enjoying the game don't get me wrong, but I find it staggering that despite the fact so many people have the exact same complaint, people still turn around and say there's no problem. If you can't get used to the controls and ropey aiming the problem is yours, yours alone, and you don't deserve a place in the FPS community.

Reminds me of that Iraq minister :D

Soldato
The controls were so heavily criticized they changed it for the upcoming KZ3. There's no longer any delayed response, and the animations play roughly twice the speed. I thought KZ2 was a good game, but it wasn't very open and the combat was repetitive. It's nowhere near as good as any of the Halo games.

If you were expecting halo you were bound to be disappointed.

Oh and for the record, this talk of fixing the controls is for the multiplayer. The MP controls were "lighter" than the SP controls in the first place, then they made them even lighter with a patch, but the SP is still the same. I've not played since the patch but they were fine for me before, so I'm sure they'd be okay now. I always was able to play better with the weighted controls, I'm just not much of a twitcher, so I'm no good at these floaty FPS's.

Soldato
IMO Halo made like Killzone II would be one of the best FPS around for consoles, because 9 out of 10 people understand how dark and gloomy the Halo Universe is supposed to be, everyone just make their opinions upon playing the game. Bungie need to stop releasing the same game over and over again, and make something like Killzone, something raw, dark, gritty and with 'feeling' in the controls rather than the robotic gameplay you currently get. so Halo with Killzone II engine and the expanded Halo Universe (novels, etc.) with some good writing and scripting would make a beautifully dark game! :D

Edit: and if they remove the aiming system so the 'COD' kids can play the game for Killzone III then i think they've totally misunderstood what made the second such a spectacular game...

Soldato
OP
You say remove the aiming system..... Honestly - and I'm not being purposely awkward here - what is this system?
Iron Sights
Recoil
No autoaim

That's all the game has to offer as far as I can see having spent another 45 mins on it tonight. The things I don't like about it?
Horrific amounts of motion blur
Lag (imagine getting mouse lag on a PC game, it's identical, just thru a stick)
Awkward controls

I honestly can't see why you think there's some revolutionary game mechanic at work here in the background? And I feel I should reiterate again, I am enjoying this game! But the aiming is awful!

Soldato
Really enjoyed the game also but i finished it before this patch that was only done due to the moaning of the controls but i found them perfectly fine prefered it to some other games tbh.

If anything i didnt really like its menu system but thats nothing major lol

Soldato
You say remove the aiming system..... Honestly - and I'm not being purposely awkward here - what is this system?
Iron Sights
Recoil
No autoaim

That's all the game has to offer as far as I can see having spent another 45 mins on it tonight. The things I don't like about it?
Horrific amounts of motion blur
Lag (imagine getting mouse lag on a PC game, it's identical, just thru a stick)
Awkward controls

I honestly can't see why you think there's some revolutionary game mechanic at work here in the background? And I feel I should reiterate again, I am enjoying this game! But the aiming is awful!

The physics mimic something that is just that little bit closer to real life. I.e. not being able to turn round in the space of a 2p, not having zero body mass and not being able to headshot anyone on screen without looking.

Associate
Game I couldn't complete myself either. Controls really annoyed me especially the six axis crap to make levers and stuff work! Pointless and annoying! Got three quarters of the way through it, far shorter than the first but can't be annoyed finishing it. Compared to Crysis (Which I love) and even half life 2, its a huge disappointment. Yes it looked good, but it just wasn't fun to play. Killzone 1 was pretty good, loved the starting level especially. Anyone every play black? It was a gem that never got the credit it deserved!

Soldato
It's subjective.

Everything is subjective. Did you know there are people out there who enjoy defacating into cups and playing with it?

Realism isn't a great argument either - the game is hardly realistic at all, and anyone who's ever aimed a rifle in their lives will tell you they aren't exactly made of lead. I've held a decommissioned M60 and could move it around faster than the player in KZ2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its one of the best shooters of the past 5 years.
But saying that, my top 5 shooters EVER are:

F.E.A.R
Killzone 2
Crysis
Half life
Far Cry.

With the likes of MOHAA, Resistance Fall of Man and No one lives forever bringing up the rear.

Soldato
they need to keep the weighted controls, its just something that needs to be done more in FPS instead of less, get sick of all the 'twitch' gaming you get in MW2 for example, when someone just instantly turns and shoots. personally think FPS need more realism and less arcade aspects, since the arcade shooters have been done to death, i mean how many call of duty games we had now? and have they really changed anything since the first one? same goes with the halo series (as much as im a fan of the halo universe), killzone II is the first FPS i have ever played that offered a totally different feel and thats rare in todays world, why the hell would you wanna spoil it and turn it into another clone, because thats basically what 9 out of 10 are saying? my stand point on this is make it more damned gritty, more difficult to run around shooting stuff, hell chuck a bunch of other stuff into the mix as well while your at it, because i personally will take that anyday over another COD clone. im sorry to sound harsh here but wanting the game 'tweaked' to make aiming easier and more like other FPS is the exact reason that gaming is on a downward spiral, because nobody is willing to accept anything different into the mix, the whole gaming community (barring a few) have a bunch of clear cut rules and regulations drilled into their heads. so next time we see a thread claiming 'such and such has been ruined, its just another call of duty clone' or whatever just remember, its what people want unfortunately, because after all game studios and publishers want to make money, they want to push the sale of their products, and how do you do that? give the people what they want, which at the minute is mindless, arcade orientated FPS games. my biggest bummer in recent times is the fact that halo: reach is going to be another clone as well and its a damned shame because it could be sooo much more. :(

Soldato
Everything is subjective. Did you know there are people out there who enjoy defacating into cups and playing with it?

Realism isn't a great argument either - the game is hardly realistic at all, and anyone who's ever aimed a rifle in their lives will tell you they aren't exactly made of lead. I've held a decommissioned M60 and could move it around faster than the player in KZ2.

Cool bro.

Associate
i managed to drag myself of demon souls and try kz2 mp for the first time in months had a blast and finished top or in the top 3 in the matches i joined :p the controls are fine for me .
cheers for joining knifenfork had a blast especially on radec hopefully some more will join of ocuk thats if they get along with the controls of course :D

Soldato
i managed to drag myself of demon souls and try kz2 mp for the first time in months had a blast and finished top or in the top 3 in the matches i joined :p the controls are fine for me .
cheers for joining knifenfork had a blast especially on radec hopefully some more will join of ocuk thats if they get along with the controls of course :D

Yea I noticed you were first by miles. :p Playing again has rekindled my love for the game. Am on now if anyone is up for multi.

Back
Top Bottom