** So let's talk about Cinavia DRM Copy protection **

Soldato
OP

Interesting article thanks. Read it the other day just did not have time to post. It does sum up nicely that the bluray industry does not consider consumers and what we want as priorities. The example given that it takes minutes to start watching a bluray often compared to under 5 seconds with an mkv.....right there that's number 1 in this day and age.

Soldato
From the look of it, it's not hit the mainstream in terms of affected players or film releases. Once it hits a critical mass, I imagine that efforts to circumvent it will step up a gear.

There are already fixes and by passes for it on the ps3 but as I don't know anything about it or encounterd it as a problem yet I am unable to comment.

Associate
does this mean its wise to buy existing BD drives as a backup for if your current unit fails in your pc? given that the tech will come to PC drives?

Soldato
OP
No, there are ways around it, just have to google... :rolleyes: It may be here to stay, but can be avoided.

I was under the impression that the "ways around it" are mere work arounds of which are somewhat unuseable/unhelpful. i.e.

- Playing back a movie at 1.5x speed - nobody would do this
- Using optical output in a certain way on the PS3 ? No good for HDMI users.
- Changing the clock on the PS3 to a date in the past or something like that ?

Associate
Actually...there are better workarounds...

the playing it at 1.5x speed had been patched in one of the ps3's firmware updates in the last few months...
As did the using the dual audio/multi-output option (optical output AND HDMI)...
The changing the clock does work...but only for Cinavia Message 3 (where it mutes the audio every 20 minutes). If you change the year, one can hear the audio for another 20 minutes before cinavia mutes it again...

The only real viable useable way to bypass cinavia is to either put a CFW (Custom FirmWare) on your PS3 (if you use another media server, i guess you're screwed...) or to modify the video file and invalidate the cinavia watermark. There are only a handful of ways to do this and only one I have had experience with that makes a movie (especially a cam or ts movie) watchable (outside of real-deal full blown videophiles/audiophiles).

P.S.
Wow...the mods took 2 days to allow this post in...
In any case, also I wanted to comment/put in that this Cinavia protection has been around for nearly 2 years already! So it's not like one should hold their breath... But then again, as someone said previously as well, it's not that this has become mainstream and/or is only in a handful of movies (all very new) and under 30 Blurays/DVDs (i believe/guessing)...so once it is mainstream, most likely more work on bypassing it and the people who have the ability will come out of the wood work...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom