• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Associate
More than 70% of the ppl who commented on this thread are miners
29% gamers
1% genuine persons frustrated with the fact he is unable tgo buy a GPU at retail value.

I don't think thats the case... 1 person who belongs to the last group here. Can we expect 99 posts after this one until another person with the same profile shows up? I don't think so.

I think it is the other way around, actually.

Soldato
Although I happily got sorted out with a 3060ti at what now looks a bargain price (still overpaid), and fortunately did a full system build in 2019 (I nearly held off until RDNA2/Ampere), all this has lerft a very sour taste in my mouth, and unless i'm in a "money absolutely no object i'm rich!!!!" situation, this is the last gaming PC I will ever build. The whole thing is a complete ****-take now, and even before the Coivd/mining disaster hit PC gamers and ruined the experience for many not able to get a card, it was going out of control before then with the GPU prices for Turing etc. That trend will continue even when and if we return to a non-Covid world, and the end of the current mining boom. Cost precedents have been set, and were in place 2-3 years ago, and wer're not returning to anything life sensibly-priced PC gaming again.

Soldato
Cards are coming and going soo quickly.

Just lost out on a 3070 at £649 as I was paying, then suddenly the £599 one that had gone OOS appeared and managed to get my payment through.

Jeez this is pure luck, timing and quick fingers!

Associate
Cards are coming and going soo quickly.

Just lost out on a 3070 at £649 as I was paying, then suddenly the £599 one that had gone OOS appeared and managed to get my payment through.

Jeez this is pure luck, timing and quick fingers!
Which brand did you get in the end? Great price as well.

Associate
At this point I'm giving serious consideration to selling my gaming PC for the first time in over a decade and just giving up. I refreshed it last May time but held off on the GPU so it's a pretty good AMD setup (X570 + 3700X). I even went as far as selling my GTX-1080 thinking "may as well get something for it while it's still worth something" and took 200 notes 2nd hand. I'm currently using an RX580 which just about keeps up. Turns out that was a seriously bad mistake but hey, I didn't have a crystal ball...

Like, I assume most people, I have to work and I simply can't get in on the so called "fun" of "check, check, check, oh look stock, now be as quick as I can" so the only chance I stand of getting a reasonable card for this PC is when (IF) the situation improves to the point that there is stock in-hand that I can browse in the evening, or perhaps a retailer allows me to get in some kind of waiting list. But then I understand that pricing is going to be difficult because I won't want to place an order for something that I don't know what the price will be.

Which leads me to price. When I bought the 1080 (Gigabyte Extreme) it was over 700 and I swore I would never spend that much on a GPU again. Ugh!

Obviously the flip side is that without a gaming PC I'd want a PS5 and they aren't any better right now - though I do expect them to get better sooner than PC parts.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
At this point I'm giving serious consideration to selling my gaming PC for the first time in over a decade and just giving up. I refreshed it last May time but held off on the GPU so it's a pretty good AMD setup (X570 + 3700X). I even went as far as selling my GTX-1080 thinking "may as well get something for it while it's still worth something" and took 200 notes 2nd hand. I'm currently using an RX580 which just about keeps up. Turns out that was a seriously bad mistake but hey, I didn't have a crystal ball...

Like, I assume most people, I have to work and I simply can't get in on the so called "fun" of "check, check, check, oh look stock, now be as quick as I can" so the only chance I stand of getting a reasonable card for this PC is when (IF) the situation improves to the point that there is stock in-hand that I can browse in the evening, or perhaps a retailer allows me to get in some kind of waiting list. But then I understand that pricing is going to be difficult because I won't want to place an order for something that I don't know what the price will be.

Which leads me to price. When I bought the 1080 (Gigabyte Extreme) it was over 700 and I swore I would never spend that much on a GPU again. Ugh!

Obviously the flip side is that without a gaming PC I'd want a PS5 and they aren't any better right now - though I do expect them to get better sooner than PC parts.

At least with consoles, retailers can't inflate the price past MSRP which is a bonus, so when you can eventually get one, you know you won't be paying over the odds for one, unlike PC components.

Soldato
At least with consoles, retailers can't inflate the price past MSRP which is a bonus, so when you can eventually get one, you know you won't be paying over the odds for one, unlike PC components.

Except you won't because they've all been snapped up by scalpers and they're the only ones with anything for sale! Big drops at several etailers over the last couple of day all gone before you could finish making a cup of coffee.

Soldato
i dont think scalpers are buying up all the stock. most are miners or new miners

anyway, on the ***no competitor hinting please***, the 3070 i was looking at had a stats 57000 views in the last 24hours!

on another site, it had 145 people are buying this stat, and there were only probably 10 pieces of the card availabe.

insane!

Last edited by a moderator:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Except you won't because they've all been snapped up by scalpers and they're the only ones with anything for sale! Big drops at several etailers over the last couple of day all gone before you could finish making a cup of coffee.

I managed to get a PS5 yesterday at RRP from Very, they are hard to get but at least they aren't increasing in price at retailers like GPUs.

I also pre-ordered Xbox series X at launch and got one of those too

Now I can finally forget PCs and the ever inflating prices.

Associate
I managed to get a PS5 yesterday at RRP from Very, they are hard to get but at least they aren't increasing in price at retailers like GPUs.

Next up! How to mine with Consoles :D

Associate

Enjoy ... I heard that Assassin Creed Valhalla is quite good.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Next up! How to mine with Consoles :D

Ha! I really hope not!

Enjoy ... I heard that Assassin Creed Valhalla is quite good.

It's on my to play list but I'll wait until its gone really cheap in a year or so as I found the AC games a bit repetitive.

To be honest since getting the Xbox last November I haven't really touched the PC, and the game I've mostly played on xbox has been the free to play rocket league lol that game is like a drug, can't stop playing it.

I'm only really keeping my PC going for the ever decreasing number of PC only games such as total war and some paradox games like Hearts of Iron series.

Associate
Ha! I really hope not!

It's on my to play list but I'll wait until its gone really cheap in a year or so as I found the AC games a bit repetitive.

To be honest since getting the Xbox last November I haven't really touched the PC, and the game I've mostly played on xbox has been the free to play rocket league lol that game is like a drug, can't stop playing it.

I'm only really keeping my PC going for the ever decreasing number of PC only games such as total war and some paradox games like Hearts of Iron series.
I play a lot of PC indie games, there seems to be more console ports in the last few years on PC.

But more and more indie games end up on console digital stores too.

Soldato

I managed to order a Series X from Very yesterday but the delivery states three weeks from now. What does your PS5 say?

I rang their CS and it sounds like they made live stock they don't have.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I managed to order a Series X from Very yesterday but the delivery states three weeks from now. What does your PS5 say?

I rang their CS and it sounds like they made live stock they don't have.

Mine says 11th March. As long as I'm in the queue I don't mind, hopefully they'll keep allocating stock that comes in straight to those who managed to get an order in anyway.

Soldato
Mine says 11th March. As long as I'm in the queue I don't mind, hopefully they'll keep allocating stock that comes in straight to those who managed to get an order in anyway.

Yeah that's exactly what mine says, I'm annoyed to be honest selling stock you don't have with no heads up is frustrating.

Saying that at least I know I've got one and dont have to mess about with alerts anymore.

Off to the MM to sell the rest of my PC, gave up on GPUs completely, console is the way forward until miners crack them.

Back
Top Bottom