So the test driving begins - TT RS!

Man of Honour
How was the wifes after Chris did it Housey? Could you feel the difference?

I think I expected too much in all honesty as having experienced geo work on my GT3 where it changed the car very noticeably the MX-5 was at best subtle but it was better. The most noticeable element was how the steering feel improved a couple of notches, became more direct and more feelsome which was worth the £220 alone in my book. In terms of handling it did make it more pliant over undulations and cambers but if I am totally honest I still thing the front suffers from too much wander over bumps, which might be simply down to me not having enough experience of MX-5's and their character on road.

Happy with the car, fabulous little thing but still don't think it's as sorted as it could be. Used to the body roll now however, that really takes getting use to when you come from stiffly sprung sports cars, the MX-5 rolls like a boat but in reality doesn't budge a bit. Great cars, can't wait to get me racer sorted and out on track.

Soldato
Not read the whole thread, but why are you test driving an Audi TT when you have a Corvette Z06 on your shortlist?

Is the Corvette not in a completely different league or did the TT get better recently?

DM

DM

Permabanned
I think I expected too much in all honesty as having experienced geo work on my GT3 where it changed the car very noticeably the MX-5 was at best subtle but it was better. The most noticeable element was how the steering feel improved a couple of notches, became more direct and more feelsome which was worth the £220 alone in my book. In terms of handling it did make it more pliant over undulations and cambers but if I am totally honest I still thing the front suffers from too much wander over bumps, which might be simply down to me not having enough experience of MX-5's and their character on road.

Happy with the car, fabulous little thing but still don't think it's as sorted as it could be. Used to the body roll now however, that really takes getting use to when you come from stiffly sprung sports cars, the MX-5 rolls like a boat but in reality doesn't budge a bit. Great cars, can't wait to get me racer sorted and out on track.

I thought that would be the case, it is deffo Porsches that the man shines on i think.

OcUK Staff
OP
I don't know a lot about 911 but I honestly had no idea that C2S and C4S cars were that fast! The mistake I make is looking at horsepower and really 355 isn't all that impressive especially in something that doesn't seem all that light, but 0-60 in the low 4s and 0-100 in 10 seconds certainly is! :eek:

So in the real world a 997 C2S/C4S isn't far off the performance of a 996 Turbo apart from the placebo turbo effect? I know someone who is looking into 911s but had pretty much settled on a 996 Turbo because he thought 997 Cs were going to be too slow :p.

The best a C2S has managed is 3.9s to 60mph and 9.6s too 100mph. This was a manual 355BHP car and the testing magazine reckoned it was so quick because it had 5000 miles on the clock, wheras when they previous tested one it only had 1000 miles so was still breaking in.

The C4S has been tested to be as quick as 3.8s and 10.4s too 100mph, so the C2S definetely seems faster once moving, no doubt due to less weight and fewer transmission losses etc.

Think that is quick the 2010 Audi TT RS is DSG transmission has posted 3.9s too 60mph and 9.3s too 100mph, thats a stock one, bloody blinding quick.

A 996 Turbo S is in the 8.5s region too 100mph and the 997 turbo is in the 7.5-8s region. Remap either of the above and it tends to drop sub 7s. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I think we will have to agree to dis-agree on this one. I don't place much value in 1/4 mile times as a measure of driving pleasure or outright cornering performance, if it were, we would all be buying rice rockets.

Power-to-weight and good distribution of it is why Lotus still produce some of the worlds best handling cars.

That said, if there is someone out there that can demonstrate a stock Gen 1 C4S posting a 11 second 1/4 mile time then I will eat my own car keys.

I was not posting about the C2S specifically, this is the opposite experience to the C4S although, the official 'Ring times from Porsche for a Gen 2 Cayman S beat the Gen 1 C2S time's, you can't really argue with that one, I can only assume that you were in a older Cayman on your test run or, trying to drag race.

I don't have any issue with 2nd hand buys but from brand new, the C4S is a hard sell at £95k in decent spec.

Anyway, good luck on the hunt, if you flex your budget you could get into a Boxster Spyder with Ceramics or a 996 Turbo S, both will be quicker than a lumpy C4S ;)

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/177/BoxsterSpyder3.4/

I only mentioned quarter mile times as you mentioned them. ;)
Why does a gen1 need to demonstrate an 11s quarter mile, I don't see any Caymans or Boxsters doing it this quick, they are generally 13-14s region wheras the C4S is 12.6s stock. So where is 11s coming from?

Do you know how much of a difference 1s is in quarter mile? Let me tell you its epic, were talking truck lengths for just 1s over just a 1/4 mile.

Also if you want to compare brand new C4S well its even quicker again, its got 380ish BHP, I am talking gen1's here which only have 355BHP. The new 997.2 C4S is faster again and is available with PDK. I am not buying brand new, don't fancy loosing thousands in a years ownership.

Why would I buy a Boxster? I simply do not like them and on the road a 911 kills them but even if they made a Boxster that was quicker than a 911, I'd not buy one, just don't like the looks.

996 Turbo however is within budget and an option if I find a real need for that straight line push, but apart from that the 997 does everything else better.

OcUK Staff
OP
Not read the whole thread, but why are you test driving an Audi TT when you have a Corvette Z06 on your shortlist?

Is the Corvette not in a completely different league or did the TT get better recently?

Id say the TT got a lot better, read my test drive of one.

But would you sniff at 3.9s to 60mph and 9.3s to 100mph? Then add vast amounts of grip and its got near as dammit EVO cross country pace. I'd say it got a lot better in the form of the RS version. The killer is price, depreciation and oh yeah its a TT.

Soldato
No worries mate, I like talking about car's, have a look at a 996 GT2 as-well, it might frighten you to death at first but it's very rewarding, its about as quick as a newer GT3-RS. I think they can be had for £40-45k

Just to illustrate how lower BHP coupled with better balance and lower weight can produce a faster car, Fifth Gear did a three way shoot out with a TT-RS, Boxster and a Zed, it's worth listening to the man Plato, he knows his stuff.

http://fwd.five.tv/fifth-gear/videos/dogfights/triple-header-dogfight-part-one

OcUK Staff
OP
No worries mate, I like talking about car's, have a look at a 996 GT2 as-well, it might frighten you to death at first but it's very rewarding, its about as quick as a newer GT3-RS. I think they can be had for £40-45k

Just to illustrate how lower BHP coupled with better balance and lower weight can produce a faster car, Fifth Gear did a three way shoot out with a TT-RS, Boxster and a Zed, it's worth listening to the man Plato, he knows his stuff.

I'd expect on a racetrack a Boxster S with PDK to win, on the racetrack lightness and never having to let go of the steering wheel make up the world of difference.

On the road though I think that TT RS would just dissapear, its got way more grip than the Boxster S and is a lot more sure footed with that extra grunt.

Having owned the EVO which is not a great car at numbers at the racetrack but it completely owns cars on the road. Perfect example is an M3 CSL is quicker on track, but the EVO is far quicker on the road and its 200kg heavier.

UK roads 4WD and grip is key, Housey has found this with his RS4. So out of those 3 cars, the Boxster might just win it at the track, but I'd be choosing the TT RS as afterall they are both hairdresser cars, so I'd just take the faster one on the road, the TT RS. :D

DM

DM

Permabanned

I got to ask no offence intended but do you ever drive normally, i mean on normal roads and Tesco etc? And is whatever Porsche you own your main daily driver?

In fact i'l just shut up, because im a boring ******* that thinks about the main 95% of the time people spend in cars, il get me son on here instead he's all hip cool and trendy with the 1/4 mile drag strip times :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Housey, I think that's a bit harsh :D

I was only posting on the C4S as I have a problem with it as it is too heavy and does not drive like a 911 should. I don't run a Cayman S, I was just trying to make a point that the game has changed and there is a gulf in driving involvement and cost between the Cayman and the C4S, while they remain pretty equal around the 'Ring, and quicker than a 993 GT2, which is pretty sensational for the cost.

I would like to chop my car in for a Gen2 GT3 as soon as my daughter is old enough to fit in the bucket seats (she is 2).

DiamondMark: None taken, I have lear'nt my lesson with higher powered car's and I like a car which does Tesco's as well as Brand's, without me getting into trouble with old bill.

In terms of bird pulling power, I think it is a generational thing, the younger generation (under-30) mostly don't care if its a 911 or not.

A newer GT3 in Viper Green would no doubt bulk up my black book though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom