So the test driving begins - TT RS!

Soldato
But there a fair bit cheaper, get a mondeo for the boring stuff.:D

Why on earth would he get a Noble.

They are cobbled together kit cars made with odds and sods. Some are reliable but it seems most have something big go wrong and they cost a bomb to fix. Plus something like a clutch change is an engine out job (or cutting/removing some chassis).

Not an everyday car in the slightest and a stupid choice!

I still want one, but priorities and circumstances change. Was looking at the GT3 last night and trying to find pennies down the back of the sofa. A few years away yet, but do want. Gibbo source some funds!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I always here this but do you need more power on the road? My response is "you can never have enough power"

My Mustang was a perfect example, I could use all of its near 600BHP on the road and absolutely loved doing so.

Yes I will agree that when I drove the Cayman S it did not feel like it was gonna kill me, it was very sure footed and very quick on steering but it just lacked go, it was the 303BHP version, so was before the newer 2009 model which got 320BHP and LSD.

To make a Cayman S keep with a 911 its gotta be the PDK version with 320BHP and then you might just stand a chance if the 911 Gen1 driver fluffs up a gear change.

I do like power in my cars, there is no better feeling than selecting 3rd or 4th and just going wide open throttle and experience good acceleration and this is an area the 911 just kicks the Cayman ass.

However I have looked at tuning and Cayman can be taken upto 350ish BHP without spending a fortune and I'd say at those kind of power levels it won't hang around, add a PDK version into it and you should have a Cayman that can beat a stock 911 C4S.

But the C2S is quicker again, they have been know to gallop to 100mph in as quick as 9.6s and do the quarter mile in 12.3s

I like the Cayman but I just think the lack of grunt would get to me, I need to be as close to 400 horses as I can, not further away. But I shall give a Cayman S a test drive to see how the new 2009 car drives, might even try the PDK version. :)

That's fair enough. Personally I'm not all that bothered about having 400 or 500BHP, I simply don't get the opportunity to use all that power on the roads. If you've got that sort of power 100mph is gonna be around the 10 second mark which means that your fun is limited to a max of 10 seconds of acceleration if you want to retain your license for any period of time.

The most fun car I've ever had was my Elise and that was by a huge margin. It only had 189BHP but nothing beat the feeling of really pushing it round the country lanes, using every one of those 189BHP. I sometimes used to stop and compose myself after a good thrashing as it would have my heart beating so hard. I've driven some fast cars and no matter how much power they had, straight line acceleration just doesn't have the same effect but I accept that we differ in this respect.

If you want straight line speed, just get a fast bike and feel what "REAL" acceleration is like.

Something like this :D (0-170 in 12 seconds)

I know you like your Yank cars, so here's another vid for you (skip to 8.30)

EDIT : The Corvette ZR1 is tuned to 700HP by the way.

Last edited:
Soldato
as a complete curveball and not something id choose over a porsche, but in company with the audi tt i dont see the harm in mentioning it especially given the price difference:

A 2008 135i msport with say an evolve stage 4 package and an LSD would still come in about £10k-12k short of a stock TT-RS, with 420bhp / 425ft. lb of torque and nigh on identical weight to the TT-RS and much better steering feel (from what i've read of it)? This gives it 25bhp/tonne more than an e92 m3 for comparison and a bucketload more torque

Feel free to shoot me down for the suggestion compared to the porsche and corvette though.

Soldato
I always here this but do you need more power on the road? My response is "you can never have enough power"

My Mustang was a perfect example, I could use all of its near 600BHP on the road and absolutely loved doing so.

Yes I will agree that when I drove the Cayman S it did not feel like it was gonna kill me, it was very sure footed and very quick on steering but it just lacked go, it was the 303BHP version, so was before the newer 2009 model which got 320BHP and LSD.

To make a Cayman S keep with a 911 its gotta be the PDK version with 320BHP and then you might just stand a chance if the 911 Gen1 driver fluffs up a gear change.

I do like power in my cars, there is no better feeling than selecting 3rd or 4th and just going wide open throttle and experience good acceleration and this is an area the 911 just kicks the Cayman ass.

However I have looked at tuning and Cayman can be taken upto 350ish BHP without spending a fortune and I'd say at those kind of power levels it won't hang around, add a PDK version into it and you should have a Cayman that can beat a stock 911 C4S.

But the C2S is quicker again, they have been know to gallop to 100mph in as quick as 9.6s and do the quarter mile in 12.3s

I like the Cayman but I just think the lack of grunt would get to me, I need to be as close to 400 horses as I can, not further away. But I shall give a Cayman S a test drive to see how the new 2009 car drives, might even try the PDK version. :)

Might be a bit late but here is what can be done in a Gen 2 Cayman.

The driver hits a straight-line performance wall in the end, you will have to guess what boss car lies in wait at the front of the Porsche pack :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_MiB_aLVw

Man of Honour
Might be a bit late but here is what can be done in a Gen 2 Cayman.

The driver hits a straight-line performance wall in the end, you will have to guess what boss car lies in wait at the front of the Porsche pack :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_MiB_aLVw

That's Curly in his Cayman S, had a CSL before. 3Wheels who did the video has a CSL and drives it pretty much as quick............on hand controls!!

Soldato
That's Curly in his Cayman S, had a CSL before. 3Wheels who did the video has a CSL and drives it pretty much as quick............on hand controls!!

Is he a very good driver or something, seems to be trouncing some much more special cars, and if so, why is he driving an auto?!

Back
Top Bottom