*** 4K Player Thread ***

Associate
Hi everyone, I've finally given in to buying a 4K screen because of planet earth 2. I've settled on the Samsung UE49KS7000 TV but I'm torn between an Xbox One S and the Samsung UBD-K8500 player. The latter I can get half price with TV as a bundle but I like the versatility of the One S. However, I've seen a few posts online where One S users can't get PE2 to run. Any thoughts or experiences on the issue would be much appreciated?

NB. I already have the original PS4 and also game on the PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh that's good to hear. Maybe it's specific to certain or older models of the One S.
I still cant get my One S to spin UHD discs, can hear the audio but no picture (have tried multiple discs, and even reset One S completely to factory settings)

Its working with games so Im using the samsung disc spinner I got for 1/2 price for movies (and its probably a bit better in usability anyway)

Soldato
I still cant get my One S to spin UHD discs, can hear the audio but no picture (have tried multiple discs, and even reset One S completely to factory settings)

Its working with games so Im using the samsung disc spinner I got for 1/2 price for movies (and its probably a bit better in usability anyway)
Hows the one connected? Some sort of hdcp issue?

Soldato
Hows the one connected? Some sort of hdcp issue?

Tried multiple HDMI 2 / high speed cables, and multiple monitors - I would have swapped it out but Tesco's (bought via click and collect) are being awkward to say the least

Im guesisng it must be HDCP or something, just from a sanity point of view I used all the same cables on the Samsung UHD player and the cables all appear to work as I suspected.

Just find it strange that its ok in gaming, but trying to spin any other kind of disc causes issues.

Tried factory reset (while keeping the user data and also deleting that as well) and it makes no difference. Tried a manual re-install of the Blu-ray /UHD software player also

Soldato
You really just need to buy a dedicated uhd spinner.
I'm stunned by the upscaler of bluray on the 700. Makes everything else look pants.

Worth every 28281 pennies it cost me.

Soldato
Dont understand why Tesco are being awkward. Take it back to one of their big shops that has telly's tell them it appears to be faulty, plug it into one of their display tellies and see if it plays a UHD disc!?
It'll probably work. Compatibility issues of TV/hdmi cable/amp/player/ disc is high on Xbox s.

Soldato
The avforums threads (ref'd earlier) talk about intermittent XboxS play problems on pe2

seems weird that sound, through hdmi is fine; but screen is black,
did a regular blu-ray work ? that should validate some of hdcp authentication/handshake.

Soldato
No

Um a lot of peeps complaining of issues. Far and wide. Not saying it is really bad...but a dedicated player is far better and more reliable...unless you go for the oppo...

So a few then not a lot.

Why is a dedicated far better and more reliable or is that just an IMO?

Last edited:
Soldato
BTW, does the One S now upscale normal Blu-rays up to 4K? I've seen reports from last year where it doesn't.

TV scaler would probably be best anyway in most scenarios so its not really a big deal either way

(usually the screen scaler is of a better quality than a budget player, and depending on the tv of course, better than an upmarket player like the Oppo as well)

Dont understand why Tesco are being awkward. Take it back to one of their big shops that has telly's tell them it appears to be faulty, plug it into one of their display tellies and see if it plays a UHD disc!?

They seem to class "click and collect" as not from that store, which seems stretching their responsibility some what imo - but also because I didnt get an UHD for several months after buying the One S Tesco's dont want to know.

So a few then not a lot.
Actually it is quite a common problem in general - not sure if its quality control problems or something else but the initial run of the One S wasnt brilliant in quality terms (although it appears to be a lot better now)

Associate
Just looking over at amazon reviews for Planet Earth 2 UHD and there are reports of it not running on the One S. The user on AV forums had to clean the disc with a microfibre cloth which is unusual. Sounds like the laser on the One S is not as effective as stand alone players when it comes to penetrating any superficial coatings on the disc.

Soldato
Blue-ray drives for PC often (samsung 506 I use) have specific firmware to make them better for some dyes used to print the disc, or allow them read at higher rate, so maybe pe2 was printed somewhere other uhd discs had not yet used. ?
xbox s bom is interesting w/Lieton drive, think I would take an extended guarantee on this, or Panasonic for that matter, as lasers do have limited lifespan (had to purchase a new drive)

Associate
Hmmm as long as I get PE2 running I'd be happy. I'd probably benefit more from the One S in the long run because I tend to stream content throught Plex which at the moment I can only do at 1080p with a normal PS4. Well I'm going to pop into JL later today...

Back
Top Bottom