*** 4K Player Thread ***

Associate
After getting my Samsung 55" KS7000 and Xbox One S after Boxing Day, I finally stopped buying 1-2 weeks ago after receiving Planet Earth 2 and John Wick. Thankfully Nintendo Switch has distracted me, apart from Hacksaw Ridge I'll be holding off now until some big titles with very good UHD reviews.

Really love the format. Can get a little obsessional buying them though.

IMG_2236.jpg

Soldato
^ who ruins the look of their AV amp with the spec stickers ! ;)

Been contemplating whether to go for the German Iron Man releases. Iron Man 1-3 for 66 euros off amazon.de or about 23E each.
Might just go for Iron Man 1 to see what its like with HDR.

Associate
^ who ruins the look of their AV amp with the spec stickers ! ;)

Been contemplating whether to go for the German Iron Man releases. Iron Man 1-3 for 66 euros off amazon.de or about 23E each.
Might just go for Iron Man 1 to see what its like with HDR.

Those stickers are staying, till eternity. Always leave the stickers on :)

Associate
Stickers are the first thing I remove when I buy new devices.

Got the Ks7000, now need an xbox S, where do you mainly buy your UHD discs, you have a nice collection?

It's a mixture really...

AVForums Classifieds
JB Hifi Australia (When they have a big discount on)
eBay (Monitor buy now low prices)
Amazon when they had a bunch at £13 after xmas.
HMV 2 for £30 offer.

I just keep an eye out really.. Most i've bought for around £10-£13 each. Max is £15 really.

Soldato
Im happy to pay £15-20 if the standard BR is included (which doesnt appear to be standard , which is surprising) and I havent got (normal br) already, or £20 for brand new releases on those films I really want

Soldato
It's a mixture really...

AVForums Classifieds
JB Hifi Australia (When they have a big discount on)
eBay (Monitor buy now low prices)
Amazon when they had a bunch at £13 after xmas.
HMV 2 for £30 offer.

I just keep an eye out really.. Most i've bought for around £10-£13 each. Max is £15 really.

Have to have a look, I see Amazon do them for around £20, would happily pay that if it was a good movie and the 4k content got high marks. Im generally picky on what movies I buy now days anyway.

Soldato
Maybe it's just me, but the upscaling on both my KS8000 and UBDK8500 player has been good enough at breathing new life into my favourite films, that I haven't really felt the need to go out and rebuy them in 4k uhd.

Soldato
But then no HDR goodness.

It varies from film to film and whether it's worth re-buying on UHD depends on the individual title.

Even compared to a well-upscaled BD, the best titles will be in a different league with their added resolution, HDR & WCG. The 'poorer' titles won't show anywhere near as much difference. In some cases this is down to the use of a 2K DI, thus not providing much additional resolution but there are also cases where HDR and WCG don't offer much either. A good example of such a title is Arrival. Whilst a stellar film, the UHD transfer is almost pointless as it comes from a 2K DI and, as the colour palette of the film is deliberately quite muted and the contrast restricted, the addition of HDR and WCG don't offer much at all.

Soldato
Don't think I will ever get into 4k.

I'm sure 4k looks great compared to normal blu-ray on certain titles which can take advantage of the raw film I've never seen it myself so can't comment but..........

I'm still using a 1080p Plasma and until OLED goes down in price ALLOT I'm not upgrading as I'm not giving up black levels, I just can't justify the prices. I went through like 10 TV's before I spent the extra on this Plasma as all of them had issues with black levels and bleed.
Even then I'm one of those guys who refuses to pay the price for new blu-rays, I usually pick up used blu-rays for £1-2. Anything higher is gotten lets say...through other means until prices come down.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 - seems to me - Part of the decision to adopt 4k is that you (a) accept a larger tv in your viewing room (houses are not increasing in size) so that the tv can fill a larger part of your viewing field and you can benefit from the increased resolution,
and (b) that you watch content in a darkened room to maximise benefit from the HDR.
I am not ready to meet these criteria so, currently using 42"ips @3m, i will hold off until the natural life cycle of my tv has expired ~3-5 years.

Absense of 4k content from the likes of the BBC&freeview, and equally, the streamed netflix/amazon 4K material only being equivalent to blu-ray at the current streamed bit-rates (maybe sky sport uhd excepted) are other disincentives - I can pick up those £1-2 blu-ray's and practically match the streamed content.

Whilst LG has the monopoly on emissive oled technology, it seems prices may stay high, too;
so, waiting until Samsung bring the emissive Quatum dot technology to market should see prices drop.

Soldato
Samsung UBD K8500 received a new firmware update 1010.1 but then Samsung pulled it. Reason was somebody put it on the software update servers before the agreement with Netflix was finalised.
However if you do some searching you can find it still available to download as some people managed to get it off the website. What does it give you ? Netflix HDR amongst a few bug fixes etc.

Associate
+1 - seems to me - Part of the decision to adopt 4k is that you (a) accept a larger tv in your viewing room (houses are not increasing in size) so that the tv can fill a larger part of your viewing field and you can benefit from the increased resolution,
and (b) that you watch content in a darkened room to maximise benefit from the HDR.
I am not ready to meet these criteria so, currently using 42"ips @3m, i will hold off until the natural life cycle of my tv has expired ~3-5 years.

Absense of 4k content from the likes of the BBC&freeview, and equally, the streamed netflix/amazon 4K material only being equivalent to blu-ray at the current streamed bit-rates (maybe sky sport uhd excepted) are other disincentives - I can pick up those £1-2 blu-ray's and practically match the streamed content.

Whilst LG has the monopoly on emissive oled technology, it seems prices may stay high, too;
so, waiting until Samsung bring the emissive Quatum dot technology to market should see prices drop.
+1 here to Currently got the Sammy H6400 48" If i was going to go 4K then it be for the KS7000 49" and all i would be watching is 1080p BluRays which i watch through PLEX so there be no 4K and hardly nothing in screen size of an upgrade. If i was taking a chance on 55" then it be deffo OLED but that would mean room changes. The only thing i can see the advantages for with the latest 4k tv's and thats for gaming which im not really into

Back
Top Bottom