So, this post office palaver then

eg Over the last 13 years I know of 5 staff who have been found guilty of fraud (illegally filling in time sheets) but if all of a sudden we got 5 in a month and staff vehemently denying it we'd have to ask questions.

But that's not really what happened, is it? The PO introduced a new system that, among other things, was supposed to make things more fraud resistant. That it detected more fraud than before was surely expected, if not the scale of it. I suspect that many in the hierarchy believed that many of the lower downs had been quietly skimming for years and only just got caught.

Also, remember that while there were 900 cases, these were spread over 16 years, so around 50-60 cases/year.

Last edited:
So what is the punishment for knowingly and deliberately sending innocent people to prison? Personally I feel this is almost as bad as murder. Lives have been destroyed, people have lost their lives. Are there plans to start a full investigation to find the people behind all of this and to prosecute?

Watch the 2022 Panorama program. https://account.bbc.com/account/profile-picker?ptrt=https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016t20/panorama-the-post-office-scandal.

It's utterly disgusting.

It'll be interesting to see if any charges are brought for perjury, perverting the course of justice etc. I'm not sure of the exact requirements, but could manslaughter charges or similar be brought in the cases of suicides etc?

I think perhaps there is another potential group of victims that could be line for losing livelyhoods, houses etc etc and that’s the tens of thousands of postal workers, post office suppliers who will directly be affected if the post office, and others go under because of the fines etc handed down because of this. By all means send those responsible to jail and toss away the key, but this goes deeper and impacts many more. This will run and run.

Last edited:
Mr Potatohead from Fujitsu is the literal embodiment of what I picture when I imagine gov contractors. Half asleep, oblivious, incompetent, and only pretending to be on the ball because his company got caught out. He's probably spent the last 20 years with his head buried so firmly in the sand that he doesn't even know what side is up or down anymore.

They’ve committed to finding out who knew what or did what at any given time.
I'm not sure how they can do that with accuracy. The issue seemed to span late 90's through to around 2015/2016? Even 2016 is almost seven years ago. Most data is kept for regulatory purposes for seven years (I used to work with external IT auditors for a couple of banks). So a lot of the evidence in the form of scanned documents and emails will be gone already. I may even be tempted to suspect the seven year timing of the enquiry isn't entirely coincidental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom