so who mants the HDA x-plosion then? :D

Associate
BoomAM said:
My only concern is my Medusa headphones. They're connected via 3 phonos to my onboard sound. Then it passes another 3 phonos to my amp.
I get the impression that with the HDA that i can connect to the amp with just a optical cable?. But i dont want to have to flick between the two outputs each time i want to flick between my headphones & my speakers.

yep same setup and same problem...

Associate
james.miller said:
how hard is it to post an in depth review of DTS:C. Thats what 99% of us are really interested in anyway lol
I'll do one... as soon as the one I preordered cross the Channel ;)

I'm not as well equipped as pro-testers, but it's the feature I want this card for. I'll also look after PCM passthrough. See if we can play WAV-DTS directly.

Soldato
james.miller said:
how hard is it to post an in depth review of DTS:C. Thats what 99% of us are really interested in anyway lol

Yeah, the review was a little lacking.

One thing that annoys me with soundcard reviews is when they test a DVD going to their amp. If they use S/PDIF it's going to sound the same on every damn soundcard!

Your last test is to pump a dvd through Dolby Digital Live and DTS Whatever (equivalent), but you fail to mention that these audio signals are either 2.1 upconverted to 5.1 DTS or DD Live, OR the signal is being entirely passed through and those two respective technologies are not doing anything at all except passing the DD EX 7.1 native signal from the Phantom Menace dvd. If you *really* wanted to test how good DD Live or DTS's equivalent is, you would take a movie file that is Prologic or Prologic IIx and spew it through your DTS or DD Live in such a way to test the actual ability of each card to transmit into a receiver for a home theater's use.

Regardless, since Phantom Menace has no DTS track, the most you did was have the computer resample a DD 5.1 track into DTS and ... if that's the case, then there's no way you could soil yourself over that when it's actually suffering quality loss for the conversion over a straight pass-through.

^Quoted comment from that review. Sounds like the reviewer was getting a bit excited about the DTS branding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think ill wait for one of you lot to post a review I can trust hehe. It's really tempting but as a poor student I don't think I can justify it until the summer when I'm earning again.

Panzer

Associate
Do not have time to do a full review (2 week old child in house). Only have time to enjoy it :)

I have always found it a pain sorting out the sound with my creative cards (SPDIF out usually for different sources and using ac3filter) but this is so easy. DTS for everything I have tried playing... mp3, dvds (of course), wmvhd, divx, ac3 stuff...

Software is easy to use, quick and logical and runs in systray. BoomAM you will be pleased to know if you want you can have both the analogue leads going to you medusa amp and SPDIF to 5.1/7.1 receiver/amp. You can just switch between the two using the software in the systray. More leads though. But is not a hassle.

My only bugbear so far has been I bought one card when I have 2 HTPCs in the house. I will be buying another unless something goes majorly wrong. Actually may put order in today.

Sorry not a good review nor a very technical one. But I am not an audiophile I just want to hear appropriate noise from all the speakers. It sounds brilliant to me. Above all else it has been quick and easy.

There are some brilliant tweaking options as illustrated on their site.

PS Expect to see some audigy cards for sale. Not sure how this compares to x-fi but my main requirement was mp3, dvds and divx files not gaming on this PC.

Soldato
MrM3 said:

Sounds the same as the X-Mystique only with DTS as well as DDL. Is it a possibility that you could compare DDL and DTS in music and games etc. at some point?

From the reviews that are up already the control panel looks the same as the X-Mystique one.

Back
Top Bottom