6:00PM - London
7:00PM - Paris
9:00PM - Moscow
1:00AM (September 10th) - Hong Kong
2:00AM (September 10th) - Tokyo
3:00AM (September 10th) - Sydney

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always wanted to know the reason why multiple desktops is any better/worse than having many windows open?

I guess in a developer world, you could have different contracts on different desktops to keep them separate.

But for day to day office work or home work I don't see why multiple desktops are useful - I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm genuinely interested in how they make life better / easier?

The linux boxes I have used in the past I have always disabled or reduced the desktops to 1 as I just couldn't understand why I'd need more!

I've missed win8/8.1 so will be interested in win 9. It'll take me a lot to move from Win 7!

I have different support roles at work - but only one 27" monitor

would be Very useful to have links to everything I need for each role on a different desktop of my vdi at work - just keeping it all fresh etc and uncluttered - rather than everything cluttered together.

It just doesn't feel the same having to use folders etc to separate things out imo

Soldato
I've always wanted to know the reason why multiple desktops is any better/worse than having many windows open?

It's excellent while gaming, main screen for prime time and side monitor for friends list applications and hardware monitoring.

As far as work goes, screens are much wider now so you can keep outlook and research tabs and design screens in view. I keep the laptop screen open and showing outlook to free up screen real estate.

Soldato
I can't see and it's not showing on msdn9 which is where the live streams normally are.

No live stream :(, only 50 media passes sent out.
Verge is there and seem they will be live

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/29/6868005/join-us-september-30th-for-microsofts-windows-9-event

10am PT is that 6pm are time?

I was right about the live stream then. :(

I'm sure I read that MS won't be live streaming the event.

Man of Honour
I have different support roles at work - but only one 27" monitor

would be Very useful to have links to everything I need for each role on a different desktop of my vdi at work - just keeping it all fresh etc and uncluttered - rather than everything cluttered together.

It just doesn't feel the same having to use folders etc to separate things out imo

Yes I can see how it can be useful in a support role :) I think for me it would be a waste.

It's excellent while gaming, main screen for prime time and side monitor for friends list applications and hardware monitoring.

As far as work goes, screens are much wider now so you can keep outlook and research tabs and design screens in view. I keep the laptop screen open and showing outlook to free up screen real estate.

Does it not take lots of extra resources to do this? I have to say that for little ol' me I don't think I'd benefit much from this. :)

Thanks for the explanation I can see how it can be useful.

Soldato
I'm curious as to the logic they used in skipping 9 altogether. Obvious, it doesn't mean much in terms of an OS, as they've just called their new OS 10 instead of 9, but there's obviously some meaning and reasoning behind why they chose to.

Back
Top Bottom