Social Media getting a bit...overbearing.

Man of Honour
alternatively if you google "are forums social media" you get results that back the opposite

because some people on forums believe they are sitting on a higher horse when they're not.
Like I said, I can see a post on Facebook and then I come here and people are talking about the same thing so what is different?
I can come on here and look at pictures of peoples food, I can read about relationship issues, queuing up at McDonalds, reading about Black Lives Matter and virtually every identical subject.
I can also read about peoples PC problems if I join the correct groups.
It's the same except I wish Facebook would have a blue theme.

Soldato
The techie nerd in me would just want to find the limit of the bots' abilities. For example: a****st your many faults .....
Don't worry, you're all a*****t - friends here :D

I personally don't see the technical forums as social media. GD and some of the other forums probably head into overlapping territory but I don't get hassled with pings and pongs all the time and I sometimes stay away for months - it doesn't have the same sinister addictive qualities to me.

Caporegime
lol social media
posted on reddit for newcastle under one of the protest posts "all lives matter" got downvoted to hell, called a swear word and a gammon by separate people
I responded I'll be there on monday with my "all lives matter, Police violence won't make us silent"
lets see if you will all say your insults to my face.

mod responds warning me for "threats" even though I didn't say I would do anything to these people.
I said it wasn't a threat but I take it these peoples insults are fine then?
Insults often serve to temper a general sentiment towards a specific post. As long as they aren't particularly offensive, they stay. Your statement was easily construed as an invitation to violence. Other comments have illustrated why your original statement was controversial.
My response was

okay So I should have responded with my own insult, thanks for the clarification

LOL social media mods, never seen such bias.
"all lives matter" is controversial :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
lol social media
posted on reddit for newcastle under one of the protest posts "all lives matter" got downvoted to hell, called a swear word and a gammon by separate people
I responded I'll be there on monday with my "all lives matter, Police violence won't make us silent"

mod responds warning me for "threats" even though I didn't say I would do anything to these people.

My response was

Wow, you sure showed them!

Soldato
are forums really classed as social media?

Forums aren't datamined for every scrap of information about your browsing trends or have moderator bots scrutinising every word and issuing instabans if it detects anything on its scripted lists, so I'd say not. Forums are for general discussion in this case to drum up business for a retail outlet, social media you are the product, harvested and sold.

Soldato
are forums really classed as social media?

I'd argue the main difference is the forum environment still tends to preferr advocating anonymity and generally speaking is focused to a very specific group rather than the general populace as a whole.

You generally tend to know few if any people on a forum personally (although there are always exceptions to every rule).

As for facebook censoring things, well its their platform, i dont dont like the way they operate so my account is effectively a blank placeholder for checking on things that you need facebook to see.

Caporegime
I'd argue the main difference is the forum environment still tends to preferr advocating anonymity and generally speaking is focused to a very specific group rather than the general populace as a whole.

You generally tend to know few if any people on a forum personally (although there are always exceptions to every rule).

But conversely, the first 2 forums I ever joined (1 international and 1 UK specific dance music forums), and then a London specific dance music forum a bit later, all lead to numerous friends around the world, who I still see in person nearly 15 years later.

In fact, I would say that a good 50% of my Facebook friends are from those same 3 forums. Forums are a medium to socially interact with others, in a 'public' setting, so why wouldn't they be a form of social media?

Just because Facebook/Twitter/et al have mutated the term doesn't mean those before them didn't meet the criteria.

Permabanned
But conversely, the first 2 forums I ever joined (1 international and 1 UK specific dance music forums), and then a London specific dance music forum a bit later, all lead to numerous friends around the world, who I still see in person nearly 15 years later.

In fact, I would say that a good 50% of my Facebook friends are from those same 3 forums. Forums are a medium to socially interact with others, in a 'public' setting, so why wouldn't they be a form of social media?

Just because Facebook/Twitter/et al have mutated the term doesn't mean those before them didn't meet the criteria.

I would argue the difference between social media and forums is how revenue is generated.

Social media is very much focused on the user being the 'product.' They rely on their ability to monetise the people who use the platform either by advertising or selling user data to third parties. Example being that thread in GD recently where we were all discussing how hyper-targeted adverts on Facebook are.

Here, for example, the 'product' is what OcUK sells. The forums are paid for by us lot spending money at OcUK. There are other forums I am a member of where they are funded by users spending money on them by buying enhanced membership, buying avatars or paying for ads on the forum.

Caporegime
I would argue the difference between social media and forums is how revenue is generated.

Social media is very much focused on the user being the 'product.' They rely on their ability to monetise the people who use the platform either by advertising or selling user data to third parties. Example being that thread in GD recently where we were all discussing how hyper-targeted adverts on Facebook are.

Here, for example, the 'product' is what OcUK sells. The forums are paid for by us lot spending money at OcUK. There are other forums I am a member of where they are funded by users spending money on them by buying enhanced membership, buying avatars or paying for ads on the forum.

But both still fit the baseline definition.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/social-media
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/social media

How or if they monetise isn't the key aspect, just a way to further sub-classify.

People generally think that social media marketing = social media.

Permabanned
Soldato
Like I said, I can see a post on Facebook and then I come here and people are talking about the same thing so what is different?

what you see on your facebook feed depends on your friends/groups etc...with forums you’re just browsing everything

I suppose it’s possible to use Facebook more like a forum and vice versa but I don’t think of them as the same thing at all..

Permabanned
what you see on your facebook feed depends on your friends/groups etc...with forums you’re just browsing everything

I suppose it’s possible to use Facebook more like a forum and vice versa but I don’t think of them as the same thing at all..

You can also use the ignore function on the forums. For example, I have all the mods and admins on my ignore list. :p

Associate
Wow didn't know this even happened. I've dropped quite a few f bombs on fb lately and didn't even think about it.

This is actually the biggest issue with social media.

Everything you put on social media could be there forever. Get drunk and say something stupid or post the wrong pic and that might haunt you for the rest of your life.

From what you do post assumptions are made about you that again might haunt you forever and indeed will also affect what you actually see on social media.

Targeted advertising is a way of life in the 21st century. You do not see the same adds as the next person as you would watching TV you see what they want you to see.

If you like cats you will see loads of cat stuff , cars loads of cars , Don't like foreigners you will see loads of white supremacy links etc and this lead to confirmation bios as what you see is only what you want to see.

Some of this stuff might seem completely innocent but is it ? If you search often about cancer might an algorithm decide you are more likely to have or get cancer and sell this information to insurance companies.

Might another algorithm make a judgement on your sexuality and again sell that information ?

This is scary stuff and it is not conspiracy theory fluff the companies openly admit they do this and in fact make you sign up and agree that they can do it.

Caporegime
lol social media

My response was

I suspect 10 minutes of reading into why "all lives matter" is a problematic statement would solve a lot of your issues.

Do you tell Breast Cancer UK that "all cancers matter"?

Back
Top Bottom