Socks

Soldato
I hate baggy, loose fitting socks. In fact, I often wear cycling socks all the time as I love the way they fit to my feet and don't go baggy with age.

My son also is like this, and as it's Christmas coming up, it's prime sock present time (he's 15, knows he's getting them and sadly really wants some) but I don't know where to get well fitted socks for him?

I don't really want to buy him a bunch of cycling socks, but there must be good quality, well fitted sock sites out there? Googling socks brings you 7 trillion results and none of them look any good.

Where do you all get your socks?

Soldato
Caporegime
These are more "hiking" based rather than everyday wear but I use Bridgedale Merino Trekker medium weight socks and have done for nearly 20 years. Each pair is £15 but last upto 10 years and I wear mine everyday in engineering work for -10'c to +50'c.

https://www.bridgedale.com/710-169-hike-midweight-boot

Weirdly I use bridgedale liner socks as my every day socks. I prefer lightweight. So basically...bridgedale are for winners?

Soldato
I've been buying Glenmuir bamboo socks. Really comfortable, breathable, hand linked toes and naturally antibacterial.

I'd not really noticed, but the Great Treat bamboo socks I have are pretty damned old and are as good as the day I bought them - unusual for inexpensive socks. I think the viscose keeps it's shape and 'stretchy-ness' far better than cotton socks.

Soldato
I couldn't imagine wearing sealskinz all the time. Great for the intended purpose but not everyday socks.
Probebly I'm just weird, did all the bamboo and Marino wool thing last year when I did the pyranees and camino but after getting these I can't seem to take them off but I do a lot of beach walks across streams ect so they suit my lifestyle( your feet walm and dry when trainers full of water)

Associate
I get a pack of 5 pairs of Tesco plain black socks every couple of weeks.
Of course I end up spending a fair bit in the long run for cheap socks, but I love the feeling of them near new, and also like the blackness.

Soldato
Woolie boolies are good, and long lasting.

Recently bought a pair of Norwegian army socks and they're fantastically warm and comfortable, but super thick so I can't wear them inside footwear. Good alternative to slippers though.

Back
Top Bottom