Solar energy and the Feed-In Tariff - your opinions

The cost of running sufficent artifical lighting to generate enough wattage to cover the costs of that lighting..(not to mention the planning permissions) would not make it financially viable.

Huh? I was referring to the government in future years changing the payback scheme. ie: So it's not at the current (high) rate.

I was making the analogy with public sector pensions etc, where people were expecting a rate (pension) but are now having their schemes changed due to how impractical they have become in later years.

Huh? I was referring to the government in future years changing the payback scheme. ie: So it's not at the current (high) rate.

I was making the analogy with public sector pensions etc, where people were expecting a rate (pension) but are now having their schemes changed due to how impractical they have become in later years.

You were talking about Arc Lamps?

Anyway, any changes in tariffs could not be retrospective as there is a legally binding contractual obligation for 25 years and any attempt at legislation to alter those terms retrospectively would be open to litigation.

Pensions are not really comparable as they are not defined in the same way or subject to the same fixed cost contract obligations.

So people having them fitted now, do not know the rate they will be getting?

No, as far as I've read Old scheme still applies. New scheme was deemed illegal by the courts. Installers will be able to tell you outright.

And as said nothing like pensions. Pensions can be changed at anytime, unlike what people think they aren't legally binding. They have the similar protection to pay and job criteria which can and are changed as company/economics dictate.

No, as far as I've read Old scheme still applies. New scheme was deemed illegal by the courts. Installers will be able to tell you outright.
Hmmm... As appealling as it is, I just don't think I could justify £10K+ (at the moment) along with all the unknowns involved.

I think I'd feel safer just having £10K off the mortgage etc.

But is does sound v.appealling!

It's very appealing and it's not a big unknowen. However you need to meet certain requirements. Like living in the house for a fireable future. Although it will add to the attractiveness of the house. It's not going to add anywhere near 8-12k. Also unlike other investments you cant just get you money back. It's a amazing investment but it's a totally tied in, long term one.

Mine are on my garage.....there are pics in the thread somewhere.

That I could easily live with as it practically covers the whole roof anyway. My garage though is integral and the roof pitch goes from single story height sloping all the way back. It would look awful.

It's very appealing and it's not a big unknowen. However you need to meet certain requirements. Like living in the house for a fireable future. Although it will add to the attractiveness of the house. It's not going to add anywhere near 8-12k. Also unlike other investments you cant just get you money back. It's a amazing investment but it's a totally tied in, long term one.
If you sell the house, do the next owners get the higher rate, until the end of that agreed (20yr?) period?

Yes they do , that should equate to some added value to the house , that makes the payback period even shorter .
Our costs worked out at 2.5k for the inverter £5.5 k for the panels as we went for galium ones 2k install cost and 2k profit for the installers .
Could have got a nice boxster for that but this was a more sensible purchase .

Yes they do , that should equate to some added value to the house , that makes the payback period even shorter .
Our costs worked out at 2.5k for the inverter £5.5 k for the panels as we went for galium ones 2k install cost and 2k profit for the installers .
Could have got a nice boxster for that but this was a more sensible purchase .

So how much was your install then?

What returns you been getting so far peter? I had my 2 installed 1st November and so far generated 335kwh on one and 295 on the other.

What returns you been getting so far peter? I had my 2 installed 1st November and so far generated 335kwh on one and 295 on the other.

So that's about 100kwh per month (over winter)?

So that's around £43 a month? That doesn't sound much? Is that simply because of winter?

Yeah that seems about spot on. How many panels do you have and what orientation? I have 16 panels.

So that's about 100kwh per month (over winter)?

So that's around £43 a month? That doesn't sound much? Is that simply because of winter?

Yes absolutely. When you factor in the bad weather, the short days and low lying sun that's why the results are poor. All expected.

Come April the days are much longer, the weather better and the sun higher in the sky we will be getting £250 per month until September.

Plus much better savings on our electricity bills.

Last edited:
I doubt that, only May, June, July returned that kind of figure for me. 3.96kwp Skegness installed October 2010.
You can expect £500 for spring and autumn quarters and £200 for winter.

I doubt that, only May, June, July returned that kind of figure for me. 3.96kwp Skegness installed October 2010.
You can expect £500 for spring and autumn quarters and £200 for winter.

I earned over £400 in July alone, averaging about £14 a day.....with a 21 panel 4Kwh installation, South Facing in Wiltshire. December (the last full month I have figures for, was £97, which covered my Electricity bill for that month.)

We are averaging about £200 a month or around £6.50 a day extrapolating for the year.

I earned over £400 in July alone, averaging about £14 a day.....with a 21 panel 4Kwh installation, South Facing in Wiltshire. December (the last full month I have figures for, was £97, which covered my Electricity bill for that month.)

We are averaging about £200 a month or around £6.50 a day extrapolating for the year.

...what have the government done :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom