Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Whats the solar yield on the shortest day. Barring bad weather and other factors just wondering whats the low ebb to the yearly cycle. How many Kwh on that day just wondering for those that dismiss the point of solar. I realise its greatly improved over the years in its yield, hope one day its just default for any new build.

I was also thinking batteries are more important, because of the low peak rates available to some. Perhaps when ordering that capacity to carry over cheap energy should be the main emphasis. Maybe batteries are too expensive to just double up like that and panels arent, the excess energy to water heating gadget is obviously smart in this respect

@Ron-ski has stats going back quite a way, from memory there are a couple of fairly bleak months around December time where daily generation is basically non-existent.

The more panels you have the less non-existent it will be, but you need to massively over-spec for summer generation to meet a reaonsable winter one.

I think most people just accept there is a 9 or so month timeframe when they work from well to amazing, and then about 3 months where they don't work that well.

Whats the solar yield on the shortest day. Barring bad weather and other factors just wondering whats the low ebb to the yearly cycle. How many Kwh on that day just wondering for those that dismiss the point of solar. I realise its greatly improved over the years in its yield, hope one day its just default for any new build.

I was also thinking batteries are more important, because of the low peak rates available to some. Perhaps when ordering that capacity to carry over cheap energy should be the main emphasis. Maybe batteries are too expensive to just double up like that and panels arent, the excess energy to water heating gadget is obviously smart in this respect

We have a 4kw system installed in December 2015, if I ignore December 2015 then last December was the worst month so far, 71.08kWh produced, January are not much beter . May 2020 was the best month ever with 712.532kWh of production.

The 17th was 0.261kWh, and the 27th was 0.274kWh

Solar-Production-Dec-2021.jpg

Apologies this is such a massive thread I'm trying to wrap my head around it. I can read websites all day long but I learn better from forums and people's real world experiences.

Ive booked in a survey for solar install. My house is almost perfect south facing but my roof isn't.. like your classic roof shape I guess. I also have no idea how big it is. It's a pretty big house but marred by bits that stick out.

Screenshot-20220827-071226-2.png

Is this likely to cause issues off the bat?

Also I was thinking for the system I'd like panels, battery for off peak charging and kill switch for off grid use if necessary. Budget wise I'm not too bothered, this will come out of remodel money anyway which I will just push back. I'm saying this because I have an annual usage of 5960kwh which is massively high and there might be something I'm better off doing.

Any thoughts appreciated. This thread has been amazing but I get lost as soon as people start doing maths.

Edit: posted from phone apologies for formatting

Let the installers worry about how many panels and where. You can use that information after a few quotes. E/W facing are also good, spreading the load. Panels are improving and you can get high wattage so you could use less space. At least if your a high consumer its worth the investment, I would think 2023 alone judging by the insane hikes were being told will reduce payback time. If only you could get export credited like the amount the suppliers charge it would be even faster.

The whole left face of the roof is unshaded, I guess that satellite pic was taken very early in the morning. The sun beats onto that face all day long after about 10am.

I should have included sun movement thus

Screenshot-20220827-071226-3.png

Next doors house doesn't have an effect. We have a velux window on that left roof face which is like a bloody oven door so I know that side gets plenty of sunlight by mid morning.

Would South facing and West facing panels work?

S/E/W should all be good. N is the worst one to face but would still do something. S is the best, but I read a lot of solar farms prefer E/W because they get sun for longer and the output is more consistent.

Velux window would be a bit in the way but if it's unshaded then that would seem like a good place to start. You may even find just putting some panels on every section of the roof would work best to maximise throughput.

One thing to bear in mind, with a bigger system you ideally want a larger inverter as well, 3.6kw inverter and export cap is pre-approved with notification to DNO needing to be made only, but anything larger than that requires a G99 application to the DNO.

For this reason it seems some installers just put down a 3.6kw inverter to save themselves time/effort/cost, but leaves you with a weaker system potential. Makes sure you sanity check system size and inverter size on any quotes. I am getting 4.8kw of panels and a 5kw inverter.

For anyone who has been on Octopus Agile, do I need to sign up for the Outgoing one separately to get paid for generation based on the Agile rates for export?

According to this page, the Outgoing tariff can either be Fixed at 7.5p/kwh generated, or it can use the Agile pricing for export rates.

I'm in the process of switching to Agile (despite the 55p/kwh cap on it vs 52p/kwh on the variable one, it should beat any Jan price rises, and may at times be less than 55p/kwh in the day).

I would phone and ask them but I need to wait for Monday to get an answer then, and maybe even Tuesday if they're not open bank holiday.

For anyone who has been on Octopus Agile, do I need to sign up for the Outgoing one separately to get paid for generation based on the Agile rates for export?

Just need to ask to be put on to it, it's [email protected] or use the old address (maybe CC) [email protected], these are the dedicated SEG team so handle the outgoing tariffs and enquires.

Just need to ask to be put on to it, it's [email protected] or use the old address (maybe CC) [email protected], these are the dedicated SEG team so handle the outgoing tariffs and enquires.

Thanks, I took a look at the FAQ as well and it appears that I need some stuff including the MCS certificate and DNO info. I'll raise an enquiry with them, hopefully they can get me onto the Agile import tariff with the SMETS2 meter, and then going to export mode on top with the paperwork should be relatively simple!

Thanks, I took a look at the FAQ as well and it appears that I need some stuff including the MCS certificate and DNO info. I'll raise an enquiry with them, hopefully they can get me onto the Agile import tariff with the SMETS2 meter, and then going to export mode on top with the paperwork should be relatively simple!

Yes, you'll need to show the details of the installed PV to them, generation capacity etc. This is why they ask for the certificate or DNO connection for G99 export approval. Obviously you can't get the MCS until the system is installed and commissioned.

I've sent them a speculative message because I can't get onto it at all until the SMETS2 meter is added! :)

Will keep posted here. I hope the Agile pricing for import doesn't go up soon, but if it does I'll have to stay on cap for now and just get the Outgoing Agile alone.

I've sent them a speculative message because I can't get onto it at all until the SMETS2 meter is added! :)

Will keep posted here. I hope the Agile pricing for import doesn't go up soon, but if it does I'll have to stay on cap for now and just get the Outgoing Agile alone.

Unless they changed the rules, you have to be on Agile Import to have Agile Export - I had couple of months on Agile Export while on Go, but then they noticed damn it! :D

Unless they changed the rules, you have to be on Agile Import to have Agile Export - I had couple of months on Agile Export while on Go, but then they noticed damn it! :D

I did a read of the FAQ on https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/ but it seems that no mention of needing to be on Agile Import, more or less says it's totally separate from Import tariffs.

The only thing they specifically called out was that you can't be on Go Import and Agile Outgoing at the same time, as you were :)

I did a read of the FAQ on https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/ but it seems that no mention of needing to be on Agile Import, more or less says it's totally separate from Import tariffs.

The only thing they specifically called out was that you can't be on Go Import and Agile Outgoing at the same time, as you were :)

Bonus then, especially if you can get on a cheaper fixed import tariff.

Agile import is currently capped at 55p/kwh which is a tiny bit over the mandated October cap, but if it dips in the day I'll benefit, and if (let's be honest
- when) prices go up in Jan, the slightly higher agile import cost will be better than cap.

They could up agile import costs before I get a chance to officially switch though.

Agile import is currently capped at 55p/kwh which is a tiny bit over the mandated October cap, but if it dips in the day I'll benefit, and if (let's be honest
- when) prices go up in Jan, the slightly higher agile import cost will be better than cap.

They could up agile import costs before I get a chance to officially switch though.

So get them to commit to the prices in advance for you, they will honour the pricing normally if you are just waiting for SMETS2 install. Just e-mail them or call them and get them to put a note on your file, stating you want to be on Agile V2 (or whatever it is called now) and will then ensure you are put on the 55ppkWh cap version once the install is complete.

Back
Top Bottom