Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

~10k, not sure if 4kw would have been enough for us or whether should go with 6kw (Panels could fit on other side of roof if need be) and if you could make batteries charge via solar only

You are close to my usage, and I have an 8kw system and on some days can still be drawing from the grid, go as large as you can afford.

You are close to my usage, and I have an 8kw system and on some days can still be drawing from the grid, go as large as you can afford.

Agreed all depends on budget, I'm going for 7.2kW with 2 batteries and 2 inverters - I still think I'll be pulling from the grid.

batteries ive seen mentioned are expensive, would it be best to just get best solar system I can without them or should I be going for them as with my usage im worried that they will barely get charged and I dont want them charging via the grid.

batteries ive seen mentioned are expensive, would it be best to just get best solar system I can without them or should I be going for them as with my usage im worried that they will barely get charged and I dont want them charging via the grid.

Winter time and evenings are where you benefit - is your usage more during these times? If so batteries will help as solar will only be any use during the day while it's generating.

Have you a smart meter to take readings throughout out the day to see when your usual usage is - this will give you an idea of the benefit of a battery

Unfortunately not, looked into some energy monitors on another site (Not sure if allowed to mention in this part of forums) but they all rely on cloud based services that could be shut down at any time.

Heard of people having issues with smart meters and even hassle changing suppliers and whatnot and it just didn't seem worth the headache.

Everything running throughout the day is fairly consistent though aside from the previously mentioned washer/dryer.

Gonna get some quotes given the huge increase in prices. We're using 4577 units a year and will only rise when we replace the car next year with electric.

What size system would you recommend and what cost would I be looking at roughly? We're not intending to move for another 15+ years

Get as big as you can as the main cost will be the scaffolding and install cost of the panels. Bigger you get the more generation you have in the winter months when you need it.

I've just gone for a 18x370w with 2x8.2 batteries for predicted 8 to 9000unit usage per year. (plans to move primary heating to air conditioning.) so hoping the solar can provide the majority of this cost.

Get as big as you can as the main cost will be the scaffolding and install cost of the panels. Bigger you get the more generation you have in the winter months when you need it.

I've just gone for a 18x370w with 2x8.2 batteries for predicted 8 to 9000unit usage per year. (plans to move primary heating to air conditioning.) so hoping the solar can provide the majority of this cost.

I've gone for a similar set up, 20 x 360w panels and two hybrid inverters and two 8.2 batteries, so I can get best of both worlds with solar and off-peak 4 hour window.

How much if you don't mind me asking?

It's a bit complicated, as I've a lot of extra work, consumer board, very long and thick cable to the garage - but removing those elements it would be around 15k.
I did have a quote from another supplier for the same except 16 x 400w panels and that was £14k but wasn't confident with them.
It is an install to two flat roof areas.

Silly question.

If you go for a solar panel and battery combo, could you technically program it to charge the battery during economy 7 period pulling from the grid and then when you wake up and start using appliances, power is drawn from the battery?

Given the size of a single battery unit, could that possibly get you through the day or would a couple of kettle boils, a washing machine cycle, tumble dryer cycle, etc drain it next to no time?

Back
Top Bottom