Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Heheheh! I think I might be going for my first fat zero today - masses of snow overnight, schools closed and kids building a snowman - I'd be amazed if the panels managed anything at all today!

So I'm flipping and seeing if I can get my record low!

Get the kids on the roof to get the snow off the panels! :cry:

Note: this is not parental advice.

Im same as hippo, add some charge in earlier in the day if i am going to need it, plus of course on savings days I specifically make sure I can guarantee no usage during the window

There is some minor gaming you can do, but its speculative.

My rules are : never charge more than you need to get to the "Go window", the cost of taking full price units does exceeds the value of a savings session unit. (weekday based saving session)
Charge in the likely savings session window rather than being direct grid later. This is the gaming in effect.
As above on a Savings session day charge before the session to ensure have enough to get through the session as a minimum

It has some cost of course its extra battery cycling, albeit pretty minor.

Its a particular issue for me right now with on average pretty low generation and my batteries regularly not being 100% come 4:30. They really don't like these prolonged very low temps.
I expect in normal times far less need for charging.

Last edited:
Oh noes just had the last of the paperwork through from my installer and they didn't fit the panels I had been quoted as they were out of stock
Only noticed as I was fairly certain that they were supposed to fit JA 390s and they mentioned canadian solar :(

Oh but they are canadian solar 405s instead :D

System went from 5.46 to 5.67

Oh noes just had the last of the paperwork through from my installer and they didn't fit the panels I had been quoted as they were out of stock
Only noticed as I was fairly certain that they were supposed to fit JA 390s and they mentioned canadian solar :(

Oh but they are canadian solar 405s instead :D

System went from 5.46 to 5.67

Yeah probably better panels anyway.

6.2KWh today by the way.

Back
Top Bottom