Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Does anyone know in general if demand for solar is slowing at all?

We don't have a battery but will get one at some point, probably some more panels at the same time, but really not in a rush. I certainly wouldn't even consider it now until next year given the sunlight will start to trail off now.

It's one of those though, if you leave it does just cost of living/inflation/shortage of resources screw you in the long run, or given that energy prices have (somewhat) stabilised is the panic buy phase coming to an end and demand petering out a bit?

I think demand is dropping. The prices of panels and batteries have declined over the last 6 weeks or so which indicates that either the supply has increased or demand has fallen, I suspect the latter, especially now energy prices are dropping.

I think demand is dropping. The prices of panels and batteries have declined over the last 6 weeks or so which indicates that either the supply has increased or demand has fallen, I suspect the latter, especially now energy prices are dropping.

Probably actually that the cost of shipping has decreased significantly since the main COVID issues are worked out.
We have seen around 50% reduction in shipping costs from 12 months ago.

Panels are bulky (main issue) and heavy so they will attract a fair amount of shipping into the end product.
I am sure there is some due to demand, but the last I saw the global supply was still below demand.
Mainly IMO UK installer demand is reduced a bit so there is actually some stock in the system and people are not taking the proverbial with pricing.

Does anyone know in general if demand for solar is slowing at all?

We don't have a battery but will get one at some point, probably some more panels at the same time, but really not in a rush. I certainly wouldn't even consider it now until next year given the sunlight will start to trail off now.

It's one of those though, if you leave it does just cost of living/inflation/shortage of resources screw you in the long run, or given that energy prices have (somewhat) stabilised is the panic buy phase coming to an end and demand petering out a bit?

TBH the thing is if your going battery and panels, the main benefit of batteries is when panels are poor anyway.
Obviously assuming you go to something like a Go tariff for cheap offpeak battery charging.

Just to keep my situation updated...

I was quoted for 15 panels and 9.6kwh battery. Surveyor has just left and I can only have 11 panels on the roof due to shape and size of the roof. Im disappointed but depending on the revised price will probably still go ahead once I see the new quote. No optimisers needed.

Hi all,
We started looking into panels (again) recently as the prices seem to drop slightly.
Our annual usage is around 2800kWh and will probably increase with kids growing up. We have a hot water storage tank so I think it would be good to get an iBoost.

I'm not sure yet how many panels we will be able to fit on our roof but I'll be happy to get any advice about potential size. I believe we should aim for a 4kWp system with a 3.6 inverter as a minimum?
Average daily usage seems to be over 7kWh so 5kWh battery seems a bit small but 10kWh will probably add a significant cost.
Would it be still worth to grab a 5kWh battery?

With the octopus flux tariff I think it might still be beneficial to have one to charge it overnight during the winter time.

What are the price ranges for the 4kWp systems with 5/10kWh battery? We had some quotes from the big internet installers but I think their labour+scaffolding is around 45% of the quote which seems very high.
Any recommendations for companies in South wales/Bristol area?

Hi all,
We started looking into panels (again) recently as the prices seem to drop slightly.
Our annual usage is around 2800kWh and will probably increase with kids growing up. We have a hot water storage tank so I think it would be good to get an iBoost.

I'm not sure yet how many panels we will be able to fit on our roof but I'll be happy to get any advice about potential size. I believe we should aim for a 4kWp system with a 3.6 inverter as a minimum?
Average daily usage seems to be over 7kWh so 5kWh battery seems a bit small but 10kWh will probably add a significant cost.
Would it be still worth to grab a 5kWh battery?

With the octopus flux tariff I think it might still be beneficial to have one to charge it overnight during the winter time.

What are the price ranges for the 4kWp systems with 5/10kWh battery? We had some quotes from the big internet installers but I think their labour+scaffolding is around 45% of the quote which seems very high.
I used a company that came down from derby….none of the suppliers in south wales could touch the prices i was getting from companies over the border. I didnt go for a battery, just 8 roof mounted panels and simple string inverter. 3.8kw system was 5.2k. Im adding 4 more panels on a ground mount system for £600 to take it upto 4.8kws

so 5.8k in total….

We had our system installed in June '22 by Bristol-based 'We Are EV' - very happy with the installation and the system.
  • 11 x Trina Vertex S 400W panels
  • Huawei 3.6kW hybrid inverter
  • Huawei Luna Battery Management System
  • 2 x Huawei Luna 5kW batteries
Total (inc. installation and scaffolding) - £14,500

Last edited:
We had our system installed in June '22 by Bristol-based 'We Are EV' - very happy with the installation and the system.
  • 11 x Trina Vertex S 400W panels
  • Huawei 3.6kW hybrid inverter
  • Huawei Luna Battery Management System
  • 2 x Huawei Luna 5kW batteries
Total (inc. installation and scaffolding) - £14,500
Inflation is rife on here, that price just went up 2k in 40mins ;)

Back
Top Bottom