Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Cable for CT clamp only carries a signal. I believe mine is connected using ethernet cable.

Yeah I know it just sends a signal based on magnetic flow through the mains cable.

What I am trying to determin is how the cable is physically made, EG if its just one core of copper or if its a coax type cable.

Depending on this I may or may not decide to try and run it through a relay, because ifs its one copper core thats easy, if its a coax type it'll be pretty tricky.

Bit of a random question, I appreciate.

Does anyone know what type of cable in on a CT clamp for the sender unit of a solar iboost:

Basically I am planning on cutting the cable and running it through a wireless relay.

I am concerned though if its some kind of coaxial cable that could end up being tricky.

Long shot I know.....

As Pyro said, it's just normal cable. You can use ethernet. I've extended mine and run three CTs over a single Ethernet cable

Hi all. Any thoughts re. the cost on this quote?

8x 430W LONGI panels
Solis 3kW Hybrid Inverter
Dyness 5.12kWh Battery

£9,400

The installation would be split east-west (4x and 4x), so scaffolding is required on both sides of the house. And in case it matters, this is in south-east England.

Last edited:

8x 430W LONGI panels
Dyness 5.12kWh Battery

£9,400

The installation would be split east-west (4x and 4x), so scaffolding is required on both sides of the house. And in case it matters, this is in south-east England.

I have a quote for 16 x 435w Longi panels, GivEnergy 5kW hybrid Gen 3 inverter and a GivEnergy 9.5kwh Gen 2 battery. £10200 installed in the South East, but only on one roof.

Yours sounds on the expensive side.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Was your quote from a local firm, or a national installer (with subcontractors)? I don't want to pay the cheapest price (and get a poor quality job), but I also don't want to get ripped off!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Was your quote from a local firm, or a national installer (with subcontractors)? I don't want to pay the cheapest price (and get a poor quality job), but I also don't want to get ripped off!
Did they give a price breakdown?

Yes. Goods, including scaffolding, accounts for ~£6,400. The rest (~£3,000) is installation and commissioning. They've added some big mark-ups on the parts (panels, inverter, battery), but at the same time they don't itemise the mounting system, bird mesh, cabling, etc. Plus I appreciate they have storage costs for the parts.

It’s from a well regarded local firm.
Check their history on companies house and The Gazette official Public Record to be sure.

I used a national company that sub contracted the job out to a company that had a winding up order against them and have now gone out of business. Yes, my contract is with the national company. But I had a system installed that did not work as it should have for 4 weeks and the same company under estimated at the site visit how many panels I could have.

Therefore I suggest asking the company if on installation day they can fit more panels on your roof will they have spare ones in the van?

Check their history on companies house and The Gazette official Public Record to be sure.

I used a national company that sub contracted the job out to a company that had a winding up order against them and have now gone out of business. Yes, my contract is with the national company. But I had a system installed that did not work as it should have for 4 weeks and the same company under estimated at the site visit how many panels I could have.

Therefore I suggest asking the company if on installation day they can fit more panels on your roof will they have spare ones in the van?

Thanks for the advice. I had a look at The Gazette and the only recent notices are changes amongst the company's directors, and a change of the company's registered office.

This installer doesn't subcontract the work.

8x 430W LONGI panels
Dyness 5.12kWh Battery

£9,400

For comparison my quote was:
11 Jinko 430w black panels
Givenergy 5kw inverter
Givenergy 9.5kwh battery
Bird mesh

Quote was £11,000. originally the quote was £11.800 but I got them down to £11,000 and this was with scaffolding to one side of the house only.

Does anyone here have any north-west facing panels?

Our current array is 4.8kW and faces south-east, but on the opposite roof we could fit another 3.6-4kW of panels. It would be relatively cheap to do as everything else is in place, including a 5kW inverter which I doubt would be troubled too much as they are on opposite roofs. The only downside is we'd lose a little on the current SE array due to clipping, as the inverter is limited to 3.68kW per string. Its annoying but it would only really be an issue in the lighter half of the year but then the NW facing panels would make that up and a lot more. Plus we'd gain in the afternoon and evening, as at the moment it starts to drop off at 2pm onwards and we use a lot of power in the afternoon/evening, especially in summer (air con).

PVGIS suggests output would be around 60% of a southerly facing array, so with the extra clipping on the existing panels, would give around another 2000kWh per year perhaps (PVGIS suggests 2150kWh with 3.7kW on the NW roof).

Would it be worth it do you think?

Back
Top Bottom