Solar panels

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You definitely only want to be selling it to the grid as a last resort unless you are on one of the old FIT deals the payback is tiny for selling it but at least they have finally sorted it so you get something! To maximise solar you want an EV, a battery bank and an immersion heater!

Do no users here have any of them water heating panels?

Soldato
We've got one - a solar heat exchanger. I'm only a tenant here so while I monitor the solar gear, I don't have much insight into the costs, savings, usage etc.

Not sure about the financials but one drawback of the heat exchanger/storage tank is, the hot water is hottest in summer and coolest in winter! The tank is usually about 35°C in winter and 65°C in summer. Must be helping with heating costs I'm sure, but we have gas combi so that's cheaper than electric anyway.

Associate
You couldn't get an 8.2kwh battery for £2.5k last year (at least not that I found, or not building it yourself).

Seems like Givenergy battery, yes Pylontech does 2.4 and 3.0 kWh batteries (purchase one, then another later, then another, must be same size type version for your battery pack) ranging from £900 to £1200 respectively, various inverters will run off these batteries.

Without DNO approval from start limited to 3.6 kWh inverter...4kWh inverter above you need DNO approval...especially for exporting energy for SEG you need MCS certified build of PV Array, max 5.5p lol save the solarfor your EV charger ie Zappi or Hypervolt 2.0 or for domestic hot water iboost+ and iboost Buddy reducing your energy costs, works works well and loads management of solar... today my Solax X1 Boost 3.6kWh made 9.4 kW which is quite good for October, diminishing solar as we hit winter, my yield so far is for October 136 kW from my 2.6 kW SW string, SE 2.6kW string on two roofs; 5.2 kW PV Array.

If yo u do have Smart Smets 2 meter with half hourly reading available to your energy provider ie Octopus Energy and on their EV Tariff Octopus GO for 4 hours early morning cheap energy at 5p
charge your EV 28kW in four hours @ 5p total cost £1.40 for aprrox 100miles. also you can charge your batteries for to at least 50 -70% per cent and let the early forecast with topping up with Solar energy for later in the day and use early evening depending on size of battery, its a balancing thing, don't forget
every day will be different... and plan ahead. If you are in it for ROI for your PV energy it will take a long time to payback 8-15 years maybe longer depending on your total outlay and size of PV.
if for Eco reasons you will adjust your Energy bill... electricity has gone up 150% in less than 10 years, and only one way to go.. with inflation is upwards... Solar PV is effective but the battery addition is not really feasible still today for pound£ per kW storage unless the Government instills again more incentives... just like for EVs on take up the grant

Associate

I have solar thermal on my house.
Have 4 flat plate collectors, 2 facing east and 2 west. Both feed a 500L thermal store which heats the hot water and also gets used for the heating.

The solar collectors, pipework, pump stations, controller etc was just shy of £4k, fitted it myself so don't know installation costs.

The system works well, plenty of hot water in the summer and it helps the stove out on clear days in winter days.

Did briefly consider solar pv but unless you can keep what you produce it doesn't pay.
Plus you need a lot more surface area, inverters etc and they all have a life span, which seems to be around the break even point.

Associate
Our house when we bought it came with a 20 panel/3.9KW peak system which is still under an old Feed in Tariff. I'm keen to get a battery but not sure how difficult/expensive/practical that is. Will keep an eye on this thread. Need to look into it actually, we're still getting FiT payments but our electricity bills have rocketed recently.

Same here. I have 16 panels hooked upto a 3kw inverter. on the 25p fit and i get paid about a grand a year. I've had solar since 2011 (on a previous house) and now is the 1st time my electric costs are going to be more than my fit payments.

I'm looking for a 12kw approx battery and a charger for it.

Associate
Do you think you'll get much charge into the battery over the autumn/winter period from a 3kW array? I'd love a battery, have a 4kW array, but they just seem too much still and i dont think we'd charge it over the darker months so we'd actually have any battery power to use when it gets dark in the evenings.

Soldato
Do you think you'll get much charge into the battery over the autumn/winter period from a 3kW array? I'd love a battery, have a 4kW array, but they just seem too much still and i dont think we'd charge it over the darker months so we'd actually have any battery power to use when it gets dark in the evenings.
Well you'll get 33% more charge than if you had a 3kW array so at least that's in your favour!

Associate
I've just had 12*380w panels installed with a Solis inverter for just over £4.5k. For me it's not really about making that investment back but more about saving money. I used the Scottish governments interest free loan to pay for it rather than using my own savings. I did look at a battery install at the same time but it more than doubled the cost and given I've only recently bought an EV, I wasn't sure what my usage was going to be so just opted for solar for now. Might re-visit battery storage in the future.

These have went up a fair bit in price. Just had a quote of £6k for the same setup from the same company.

Soldato
These have went up a fair bit in price. Just had a quote of £6k for the same setup from the same company.
Wow, that is a jump. My breakdown was £2560 for the materials, £1500 for the labour. Add the VAT on top.

I also had to fork out some more recently as Pigeons were starting use my panels as a home!

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, that is a jump. My breakdown was £2560 for the materials, £1500 for the labour. Add the VAT on top.

I also had to fork out some more recently as Pigeons were starting use my panels as a home!

With VAT now 0% on it then looks like parts and labour are up about 40% in six months. I'm waiting on some more quotes from other companies but if it's really jumped that much I'll likely wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom