Solskjær... on borrowed time + board/ownership issues

Soldato
Lukaku only managed 15 goals last season, despite playing most of the year. Greenwood has already managed 8 from far less appearances. He's more than replaced him, and he's more versatile too. Our issues aren't in attack, they're in midfield. Fred has been vastly improved and McT is having a good season regardless of age, the problem is no depth. When it comes to playing 2/3 games a week like it does in Dec/Jan we have nobody to rotate them with, just Matic who is well past his best.

I think our front three have lots of talent and potential, but I disagree that we haven't got issues in attack. In a better squad James would be being introduced gradually, whereas he's had to play most games and lately he's looked jaded and less effective. Martial is frustratingly inconsistent, some games he can be brilliant and other games he goes missing. I still question his attitude, it seems to me like he chooses when he can be bothered to turn up. Greenwood is just a kid who shouldn't be starting a Carling Cup semi-final against City, that's way too much expectation on such young shoulders. He's an exciting talent but he's got miles to go until he's anywhere close to the finished article as a player.

I also don't agree that depth is our only issue in midfield. Fred is very up and down and I think there's still significant question marks around him despite some good performances this season (notably against Spurs and City), McTominay is having a good season but he's still a young player with plenty of room to improve, and I think Pogba still wants out, which at this point is probably for the best for all parties. I think midfield is absolutely the club's top priority, which is why we've been linked to the likes of Grealish and Maddison, but the fact we've been linked heavily to Sancho, Haaland, etc, suggests that the club aren't happy with the quality or depth of our front three either.

Caporegime
The fact that Utd have continually struggled in games where they're expected to dominate shows you how ineffective your midfield is.

Not at all, that is because we play 4-2-3-1 and our main creative 10 has been out injured. Our backup is Lingard who has been as effective as a chocolate fireguard and Pereira who is no more than a squad player at the moment, it's nothing to do with Fred and McTominay.

Caporegime
I think midfield is absolutely the club's top priority, which is why we've been linked to the likes of Grealish and Maddison

We play 4-2-3-1, 2 central midfielders and a 10 behind the striker. Grealish and Maddison if signed would play in the 10, not in central midfield. You're confusing positions.

Soldato
We play 4-2-3-1, 2 central midfielders and a 10 behind the striker. Grealish and Maddison if signed would play in the 10, not in central midfield. You're confusing positions.

Number 10 is still midfield. Grealish imo is better then Maddison and would be an excellent signing...it isnt happening this month though.

Don
Not at all, that is because we play 4-2-3-1 and our main creative 10 has been out injured. Our backup is Lingard who has been as effective as a chocolate fireguard and Pereira who is no more than a squad player at the moment, it's nothing to do with Fred and McTominay.
You cannot lay the entire responsibility of creativity on one player Shami. Utd's midfield don't or can't pass the ball forward. You can have the best number 10 in the world but if he's not getting the ball then he's useless. It's not all on your central midfield either, your fullbacks offer little to nothing on the ball too. Utd as a side are just not set-up to dominate games in possession.

Permabanned
Ambition would be Savic were gonna buy Maddison?! The Glazers would nod in approval of that we idea i said back in the summer about it but nope now were full circle again we need a Kante or a Pogba and Fred and Mc Tominay can play as the third rotate or set them up how you like it is not rocket science Pogba likes the left of a midfield trio or the number 10 would suit him in a fast counter attacking team.

Savic and Adama Traore should have been the two players targeted this window we have a promising front 3 but they and the defence need a world class trio this is where ALL the budget should go but if you think there is another player we could sign please say his name but he should be on the level of Pogba there is no point in this team otherwise. And i am still pretty peeved about Herrera leaving too.

Caporegime
You cannot lay the entire responsibility of creativity on one player Shami. Utd's midfield don't or can't pass the ball forward. You can have the best number 10 in the world but if he's not getting the ball then he's useless. It's not all on your central midfield either, your fullbacks offer little to nothing on the ball too. Utd as a side are just not set-up to dominate games in possession.

I never said we should, but if you put Pogba or another 10 where Lingard/Pereira have been then we'd be much, much stronger this season. It's not about laying all the creativity on one player, it's about removing the linchpin of a formation and the rest of it looking **** without it. If you play a 4-2-3-1 with no 10 then the team is going to look completely short of ideas. Personally I'd rather we went back to the 4-3-3 we played this time last year but we don't have enough midfielders for it right now.

Caporegime
Number 10 is still midfield. Grealish imo is better then Maddison and would be an excellent signing...it isnt happening this month though.

You've missed the point, we lack central midfielders. We're not going to sign Grealish or Maddison and play them as part of the central two so they're irrelevant to the discussion.

Don
I never said we should, but if you put Pogba or another 10 where Lingard/Pereira have been then we'd be much, much stronger this season. It's not about laying all the creativity on one player, it's about removing the linchpin of a formation and the rest of it looking **** without it. If you play a 4-2-3-1 with no 10 then the team is going to look completely short of ideas. Personally I'd rather we went back to the 4-3-3 we played this time last year but we don't have enough midfielders for it right now.
Of course if you put a better players in certain positions you'd be better off but that doesn't mean players in the other positions are good enough. If you put Pogba in your side you'd still not be good enough, still not creating enough. Not for a team that hopes or expects to compete for titles anyway.

Soldato
You've missed the point, we lack central midfielders. We're not going to sign Grealish or Maddison and play them as part of the central two so they're irrelevant to the discussion.

Are you honestly happy with Fred and McTominay? McTominay is promising and has been our best midfielder so far this season, but he's far from a finished article, and I'm not convinced by Fred as a long term option. Depth is definitely an issue throughout our squad, but a lack of quality and experience in several positions in the starting XI is also a problem.

Of course if you put a better players in certain positions you'd be better off but that doesn't mean players in the other positions are good enough. If you put Pogba in your side you'd still not be good enough, still not creating enough. Not for a team that hopes or expects to compete for titles anyway.

This. Our full backs aren't great in an attacking sense and we have no creativity in midfield when Pogba is out, so it's no surprise that the front three look isolated and frustrated at times. I honestly think that there are question marks around more than half our starting XI, let alone the rest of our squad.

Caporegime
Are you honestly happy with Fred and McTominay? McTominay is promising and has been our best midfielder so far this season, but he's far from a finished article, and I'm not convinced by Fred as a long term option. Depth is definitely an issue throughout our squad, but a lack of quality and experience in several positions in the starting XI is also a problem.

It depends what Ole's plans are with Pogba really, ideally I think Fred + a signing could be good starters for us with McT and second signing (if Matic goes) as backup. Ole has used Pogba mostly as a deep midfielder this season whereas last year he was using him in the 10, so who knows.

Soldato
Ole, needs to step aside before he sees the fans turn on him. The team is poor and haven’t moved on since Moyes took over from Fergie. Regardless of whom has been in charge the play is too pedestrian when we’re in possession of the ball except when catching the opposition on the counter.
The team should be in the bottom three and can only suffer worse results without Rashford and his goals. I’m not sure whom is going to turn the club around, but it isn’t going to happen under Ole.

Soldato
Ole, needs to step aside before he sees the fans turn on him. The team is poor and haven’t moved on since Moyes took over from Fergie. Regardless of whom has been in charge the play is too pedestrian when we’re in possession of the ball except when catching the opposition on the counter.
The team should be in the bottom three and can only suffer worse results without Rashford and his goals. I’m not sure whom is going to turn the club around, but it isn’t going to happen under Ole.

The team should be in the bottom three yet you arent. You're fighting for top four...this is nonsense.

Don
He really doesn't do himself any favours when he opens his mouth. The other week he was trying to take positives from losing to City, saying them playing their strongest side (which they didn't) shows Utd are going places and today he's said the following:

We lost to Liverpool. A team that you all say are fantastic and we've been in the game until the last kick of the ball. For me, that's strides forward.

Soldato
He really doesn't do himself any favours when he opens his mouth. The other week he was trying to take positives from losing to City, saying them playing their strongest side (which they didn't) shows Utd are going places and today he's said the following:
Think he ment the first kick were dreadful

Soldato

Laughable isn't it? Really makes me wonder if he's a yes man or if he truly believes that. We had two decent spells in the Liverpool game, the first 10 to 15 minutes and the last 15 to 20 minutes.

When I say decent, I mean not struggling to get out of our own half and actually looked to press forward. Not creating clear cut chances as I can only remember two, the one Martial blasted over and where James couldn't quite latch on to AWB's ball across the box.

Outside of those time periods, we could have conceded 4 or 5 goals and were saved by an incorrect VAR decision, the woodwork and Mane's poor 1st touch that allowed Shaw to hook the ball away.

Back
Top Bottom