[Solved] Asus X99-S not booting with a game controller plugged in

Associate
[Not Solved] Asus X99-S not booting with a game controller plugged in

I did a new build in March using the Asus X99-S motherboard.

The main issue I had was that if my sim pedals or steering wheel were plugged in, Windows would not boot.
I had to plug the game controllers in after Windows had finished booting and then everything was fine.

I contacted Asus support and we tried many things in the Bios to try and make it work but without success.

So, up until now, I've been using a workaround by plugging the game controllers into a USB hub with on/off switches for each port.

A few days ago, someone with a ASUS Rampage IV X79 motherboard mentioned they encountered this problem when they changed the boot partition on their SSD to UEFI (changing the boot partion from MBR to GPT).

I checked my system drive and it was a GPT partition. Windows install must have done this automatically on the new SSD in my build.

So I changed the system drive to an MBR partition and booted from it with my game controllers plugged in and it boots without any problems.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

Just built a new system based on 5820K and MSI Godlike X99 board.

Was having issues with system booting. After seeing posts regarding X99 and USB issues on here, unplugged all unnecessary USB device, including steering wheel, pedals and usb Hub. System boots no problem.

Went through all devices one by one, seems to be my pedals causing the issue.

@Roger - was the solution you posted above the final working solution?

I guess other solutions could be finding a hub with on/off switches per usb port.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
@Roger - was the solution you posted above the final working solution?

No, a steering wheel still caused issues if it was switched on when I started my PC.

So I went back to a UEFI partition when I later installed Windows 10.

You can either use a USB hub with on/off switches or disable USB initialization in the BIOS Fast Boot menu although that breaks the Intel EHCI controller on my PC.

Back
Top Bottom