• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOLVED: Ugh - 4080S Issues - Black Screen after BIOS Splash, OS running.

Soldato
Hi all,

I got a new 4080S and I'm convinced that it has issues so think I am going to return it.

I get the BIOS splash screen via the first HDMI port but nothing after that as windows should be loading. Windows seems to boot and I get the usual sounds if I plug in a USB stick etc.

I've tried:
- Removing all nmve drives and installing a single new one to do a fresh install via USB - black screen after BIOS boot selection and splash, no install wizard
- Checked BIOS is the latest version - I upgraded not long ago
- Checked all power cables are seated properly (12VHPWR is a git to ensure it's in properly) and re-seated both ends anyway - I tested all 3 separate PCI-e cables to my old GPU and they all work fine - I am not daisy-chaining. My PSU is 1000W as per sig and I'm using the decent Corsair included cables.
- Before install, removed the 4000D Cable management bar to ensure it wasn't going to keep the card slightly out of the PCIe slot
- Reset BIOS to optimised defaults/Clear CMOS
- Tried three different monitors
- Tried HDMI and DisplayPort
- Tried different HDMI and DP cables
- Ensured I'm using one monitor at a time
- Checked that the display isn't falling back to onboard (it isn't and the "dual display" option is disabled)
- Checked Secure Boot is off*
- CSM is on*
- Tried a GPU from my other machine and that works fine*

* Edited additions after suggestions/trying.

The machine posts fine and as I say it seems that windows is running with the new GPU. The LEDs on the card come on and the fans are spinning fine. I think the monitor is seeing something because I am not getting no signal, just a black screen.

As soon as I put my old GPU back in, everything is fine. I know my current system is a bit old but wasn't expecting any issues apart from maybe a drop in potential performance.

I see there's an update from nvidia for black screen issues but that doesn't seem to be quite the same problem, and I don't want to risk bricking a new card. I don't have another PC to test in anymore either.

Any ideas as I may have one last crack at it tomorrow? To say today has been frustrating is an understatement...

Last edited:
Associate
If you can't get a new GPU working within about 1-2 hours of troubleshooting, just send it back, don't waste any more time.

If the second GPU also doesn't work, then you have to look at your system.

Man of Honour
I see there's an update from nvidia for black screen issues but that doesn't seem to be quite the same problem, and I don't want to risk bricking a new card. I don't have another PC to test in anymore either.
I think the firmware update is run from Windows anyway, so I'm not sure you could use it.

In their post, they say that enabling CSM can get around the problem, but I'm not sure you could enable CSM on an existing install and have it load.

Is secure boot turned off?

Soldato
OP
I think the firmware update is run from Windows anyway, so I'm not sure you could use it.

In their post, they say that enabling CSM can get around the problem, but I'm not sure you could enable CSM on an existing install and have it load.

Is secure boot turned off?
Thanks for the reply mate :)

Hmm Secure Boot says "enabled", however it's actually set to "Other OS" which I believe stops it from working (see the bumf at the bottom of screen). I think I may have done that some time back to disable it when I was running Mint. I'd noted everything down and put it back after reset as I think it won't boot otherwise.

bios1.PNG

As for CSM:
bios2.PNG

So apart from that I'm at a loss really. :)

EDIT: Oh, I also disabled fast boot.

EDIT2: From windows msinfo32:
msinfo.PNG

EDIT3: I'm going to pull the GTX1060 6GB from my HTPC downstairs tomorrow to make sure I can get that working in this rig out of paranoia. I'll see how that goes. Sadly that machine is way too small to test a 4080S in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just put the GPU from the downstairs (GTX1060 6GB) PC into this machine and that works fine.

Also tested all 3 power cables into it so those are all good into 2 different GPUs.

Don't think I'm totally incompetent :)

Last edited:
Soldato
BIOS version - 3004 for your board..?

Not that it should matter...

CSM - off and resizable BAR on.

I have not read of a RTX 4000 series card fitted to a Z370 board before. Albeit, that should not matter. Still it is not something I've come across.

After the PC POSTS, do you not get anything at all. Putting aside Windows, thinking of a boot disk to a DOS type prompt etc.
Or even trying a live Linux type boot disk - just to rule out anything to do with Windows.

Can you not use the other PC to test the 4080s..? I appreciate that it is small - does that mean it would physically not fit..?

Just random thoughts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah it’s going back.

@Vimes Yes 3004 bios, rebar on. See previous post for details. BIOS splash fine then black screen and OS seems to be running. CSM seems to be suggested for on and if I disable that I think I may have issues booting.

Other PC is in a node 202 so no chance.

I have seen people run 4000 series on this class mobo and CPU as I looked for benchmarks before buying. I will get a new cpu/mobo etc down the line.

USB boot drives never get to installer.

Cheers all. I’m having terrible luck with new purchases lately, this is the third thing I’ve had to send back in a month!!! Makes me want to give up buying anything new! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
This black screen issue happened to me. I had to plug a HDMI cable directly into the motherboard so I could load into windows, then install drivers & firmware, once I had done this and rebooted (unplug the HDMI from the motherboard) it worked, and hasn't skipped a beat since.

I read somewhere online it was a known issue with 4XXX series and ASUS motherboards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried different HDMI and DP cables

Hopefully this is a silly question but are you using fibre-optic cables? If so are they the right way round? Fibre cables are directional.

Are onboard graphics enabled? If so, what happens if you have one monitor plugged into the onboard graphics and another plugged into the GPU?

Soldato
OP
Hopefully this is a silly question but are you using fibre-optic cables? If so are they the right way round? Fibre cables are directional.

Are onboard graphics enabled? If so, what happens if you have one monitor plugged into the onboard graphics and another plugged into the GPU?
No, normal copper cables. Err never heard of fibre DP and HDMI unless that’s some sort of over Ethernet extender setup!

As per first post I checked that video wasn’t failing back to onboard but thanks anyways. It’s on auto I believe so gets disabled when a discrete GPU is installed due to the dual display option being disabled. Been caught out by that setting before. ;)

Anyway, return raised. Had enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This black screen issue happened to me. I had to plug a HDMI cable directly into the motherboard so I could load into windows, then install drivers & firmware, once I had done this and rebooted (unplug the HDMI from the motherboard) it worked, and hasn't skipped a beat since.

I read somewhere online it was a known issue with 4XXX series and ASUS motherboards.
By firmware do you mean GPU bios update? Interesting.

That would be annoying if needing to do a fresh install and having to use onboard again. If you don’t have an iGPU you can be potentially stuffed as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
By firmware do you mean GPU bios update? Interesting.

That would be annoying if needing to do a fresh install and having to use onboard again. If you don’t have an iGPU you can be potentially stuffed as well.
Not sure, I downloaded the firmware tool direct from nvidia along with the 4080S drivers, installed both (can't remember in which order as needed one for the other, pretty sure it was driver first, reboot then run the firmware tool, or vice versa).

Yeah it was annoying for me too spent a good couple of hours sorting it out, but since then it's been a beast of a card :D

Soldato
OP
Not sure, I downloaded the firmware tool direct from nvidia along with the 4080S drivers, installed both (can't remember in which order as needed one for the other, pretty sure it was driver first, reboot then run the firmware tool, or vice versa).

Yeah it was annoying for me too spent a good couple of hours sorting it out, but since then it's been a beast of a card :D
Hmmm looking on reddit quite a few people have managed to brick their cards doing this update. Also the page for the fix doesn't mention Super cards although you clearly have one. The thing is, I do see the BIOS OK, where the fix mentioned suggests that there is no output whatsoever until the OS appears. The OS never appears for me at all.

I'm erring towards playing it safe and just doing the return rather than ending up with an expensive paperweight.

Man of Honour
Hmmm looking on reddit quite a few people have managed to brick their cards doing this update. Also the page for the fix doesn't mention Super cards although you clearly have one. The thing is, I do see the BIOS OK, where the fix mentioned suggests that there is no output whatsoever until the OS appears. The OS never appears for me at all.

I'm erring towards playing it safe and just doing the return rather than ending up with an expensive paperweight.
From what I can recall, the issue that the firmware updates address mainly occurs with DP and prior to Windows, whereas yours occurs with HDMI and after the BIOS. That said, I've seen a fair few detection problems generally with 3000/4000 cards, so I don't think there's only one issue.

There are profiles here with people running a 4080 in that board (at least well enough to benchmark it), so I don't think there's a general incompatibility.

Soldato
OP
From what I can recall, the issue that the firmware updates address mainly occurs with DP and prior to Windows, whereas yours occurs with HDMI and after the BIOS. That said, I've seen a fair few detection problems generally with 3000/4000 cards, so I don't think there's only one issue.

There are profiles here with people running a 4080 in that board (at least well enough to benchmark it), so I don't think there's a general incompatibility.
Thanks for that. It marries up with the benchmarks I was looking at.

Yeah, I think a fix that doesn't specifically mention my card or the exact situation is not wise to apply. I think having to flash a vBIOS to make a new product work is unacceptable anyway in all honesty. You'd expect the vBIOS on the AIB Supers to be recent anyway. Given my rotten luck it's bound to go wrong, so if the vendor wants to try it in testing then they can fill their boots. Otherwise I'll DSR it and think about what to do, maybe just get something else less bleeding-edge to tide me over until a complete refresh.

At this rate I'm even considering custom build for a refresh so I don't have to deal with this sort of crap. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Call me fussy but that would look bobbins in my case :D I like Zotac cards and have used them in other builds but my god that card looks like it was designed by Reebok :D

Hi all,

I got a new 4080S and I'm convinced that it has issues so think I am going to return it.

What GPU did you get in the end? :( Hopefully not a Gainward, Gigabyte or Palit!

Last edited:
Soldato

Surely updating the firmware provided by nvidia doesn't void any warranty? It could also be drivers have you tried installing the 4080S drivers with your old card plugged in then swapping over?

Back
Top Bottom