• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

So I grabbed a retail processor to see how well it did compared to the retail sample AMD provided me. The sample was rock stable in everything at 4050MHz, but anything higher could be flaky.

Glad to report the retail CPU was rock stable at 4100MHz even with the memory running as high as 3200MHz.

Sacrificing memory performance could yield 4.25GHz, but we found running the memory at 3000-3200MHz yielded a greater gain than running the CPU at 4.2GHz with RAM at 2400MHz.

As such sweet spot is memory at 3000MHz C16, however getting memory to run at high clocks takes a lot of trial and error and he had good results with enabling DOCP profiles and then clocking down.

Some screenshots of the 1700:

gib3.jpg~original

gib1.jpg~original

gib2.jpg~original

I personally think it is a fantastic achievement from AMD, this 65W 3.0GHz base chip is rock stable at 1100MHz above its rated speed.

The 1700 does have XFR but its boost is limited to stay within the 65W specification, but once you switch to manual overclocking the 1700 is no different to the 1700X or 1800X and can easily run at 1800X speeds when overclocked.

We used the best motherboard, the Crosshair, we will do some testing soon in MSI Carbon and Asrock Taichi to see if those can too achieve good overclocks.

The lower-end boards, well they cost less for a reason, you pay for what you get and its still early days so some good value overclocking mainboards may yet appear for sure.

Once we test a Carbon and Taichi with same CPU we shall feedback. We are still awaiting 1800X delivery to test those!

Also as you might be aware there is a severe motherboard shortage and the CPU's have already oversold and are short from AMD.

I shall add delivery information into this thread over next few days as I know it. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Oh... sounds very sweet :)
What do you mean by.. fine? For me, fine temps are below 65C under water on overclocked CPU.

I do not consider AIO water, but they were around 66c with a pull and push gentle typhoon setup, so very quiet but powerful cooling. Proper H20 would be cooler!

I hope an 1800X will see at least 4.2-4.3 rock stable and the best will be around 4.4GHz probably with an AIO. Some proper custom H20 guys who get daddy 1800X chips might just squeeze 4.5GHz. Which for a 16 core CPU with such good IPC is very good indeed and it cost half the price of what Intel cost!

AMD only really have to contenders now:
- 7700k is still great gaming CPU for games that are not multi-threaded optimised, so the fact they run 4.50-5.00GHz makes them great for gaming.
- 7600k simply because they are £200 and can also run at 5.0GHz makes them a great option for gaming.

However if it was my money, I'd by Ryzen, simple as that! Cores is the future, not Mhz! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks for the info :)

Bit of a newbie question, but how does the clock speed scale when overclocked? Does it 'boost' up and down due to demand or will it sit at the clocked speed regardless?

Manual overclock, XFR is disabled, so if I set it at 4.1GHz, it runs at this speed all the time and that is how I overclock, I have no interest in energy saving. ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
@ Gibbo

4.0 on all cores is realistic for most users with 1700 and decent air/aio, 3000-3200 ram on a decent board then?

Yes in the Asus Crosshair!

B350 motherboards seem to be very weak for overclocking at present, so avoid those if OC.
Tried MSI 370 SLI board, CPU overclocked OK, but refused to run beyond 2400MHz RAM, clearly BIOS bug.

So in short Crosshair is the only board I can recommend.
We should get the Taichi tested tomorrow which should be a good one hopefully.

OcUK Staff
OP
So no point at all getting anything other then 1700 if you're manually overclocking?

Could indeed be the case, will know more tomorrow after testing 1800X. :)

This is why you buy from OcUK because not one other reseller does this level of testing, but then more importantly shares those results with its customers.
We sell them all but if I truly believe the £330 CPU can do everything the £500 one does, then I will recommend the £330 one. :)

Of course 1700X and 1800X will hold the advantage with XFR working within a 95W thermal, so those will boost much higher out the box and a lot of our customers do want the fastest out the box solution which of course the 1800X offers.

OcUK Staff
OP
We tested SMT in benchmarks, in games disabling it improves performance slightly, though I believe this has already being discovered by some reviewers also. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Im interested to see how the Asrock Taichi shapes up also, although i need to probably wait til memory timings get sorted out, got 3400mhz C16 Ripjaws to put in and i know for sure they are probably going to be an issue.

Taichi testing is on hold, the board Asrock gave me was a Z270 so the Ryzen is not particular liking that one at the moment. ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
I just asked when my Asrock would be here and theyve told me there not in till next week :(

Still, imma keep my order and wait it out. Really curious what these boards can do.

As I said the other day, unfortunately it does seem like mainboard manufacturers are 1-2 weeks behind CPU's.

In good news, we have 1700 and 1700X in FREE stock. We also have 500 units of 1800X due to arrive any moment which will put them into FREE stock as well. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So we test 1700 and 1800X both at 4.0GHz and both performed identically. So chips are indeed identical. :)

Also on multi-threaded performance memory clock is more beneficial than outright core speed, so 3000MHz is an ideal RAM speed and focus on tightening the timings.

OcUK Staff
OP

Yes 3000 is the sweet spot!

Above 3000 even in Crosshair is fiddly, 3200 seems max, whereas all the other mainboards are stuck at 2400-2666 so far, though we are yet to try Taichi and Carbon, but the MSI 370 SLI and Asus Prime did not want to go much beyond 2400MHz!

3600MHz is absolute flat out NO on any mainboard at present!

OcUK Staff
OP
Does that mean that the Gigabyte Gaming boards have a design flaw? Or that they released them with some advertised features not finished and will patch the BIOS later? (GB advertise 3200MHz for the 5 and 3600MHz for the 7, even list RAM at those speeds validated in their qualified vendors list).

BIOS needs to mature, out the gates Asus Crosshair is best, but we find on Intel platform Asus are always king of memory overclocking generally, particular at product launch. :)

Back
Top Bottom