Someone just tried to spend £1000 from my bank at OcUK.

Soldato
OP
Use a password manager.

Huh?
Utter nonsense

It stems from the pre authorised payments. In short:

I had my origin set up with pre authorised payments.
Someone made an account on origin with my details ???? Don't know how I'm sure my info was leaked from somewhere.
They then somehow had my PayPal pre authorised payments linked to that account.

The reason I know they don't need the password is as follows. Whilst the money was being spent and my phone was alerting me to this. I changed my PayPal and associated emails passwords. Yet for 10 more minutes afterwards they continued to spend the money. I only stopped it by removing my bank details from pp.

Phoned Halifax about this to tell them to not let the money go out and was send to the same fraud department. Needless to say the nice woman on the phone informed me that they had seen a spike in PayPal related complaints.

Take it for what you want. But i won't use it anymore.

Soldato
Although I don't store card details with Overclockers, is there still a risk that details from any cards I have used in the past could be at risk? Either way, I'm changing all my Overclocker's passwords - main site, forums and trust.

I use LastPass to generate a password for me, usually to the maximum length I can get away with. I then use Firefox to store my passwords.

Associate
It stems from the pre authorised payments. In short:

I had my origin set up with pre authorised payments.
Someone made an account on origin with my details ???? Don't know how I'm sure my info was leaked from somewhere.
They then somehow had my PayPal pre authorised payments linked to that account.

The reason I know they don't need the password is as follows. Whilst the money was being spent and my phone was alerting me to this. I changed my PayPal and associated emails passwords. Yet for 10 more minutes afterwards they continued to spend the money. I only stopped it by removing my bank details from pp.

Phoned Halifax about this to tell them to not let the money go out and was send to the same fraud department. Needless to say the nice woman on the phone informed me that they had seen a spike in PayPal related complaints.

You can use hte PayPal instant service that requires authorisation the first time via your password so its not a loophole, your pay pal account must have been compromised at some point, which does happen as they don't use two factor.

Whatever the current flavour of the month target is for fraudsters happens to all banks they don' t discriminate and I can assure you that there's nothing happening with any "loophole" and Paypal, theres some confusion here. Obviously its your choice how you pay but paypal is one of the most secure, So much so I prefer it over my debit / credit card.

Associate
Although I don't store card details with Overclockers, is there still a risk that details from any cards I have used in the past could be at risk? Either way, I'm changing all my Overclocker's passwords - main site, forums and trust.

I use LastPass to generate a password for me, usually to the maximum length I can get away with. I then use Firefox to store my passwords.

No as you cant retrieve the card information, i haven't checked but more than likely you'll be required to also input expiry dates and/or CVV codes during purchase.

You're also covered for any unauthorised transactions providing you haven't been negligent with your info... so your're good mate

Soldato
No as you cant retrieve the card information, i haven't checked but more than likely you'll be required to also input expiry dates and/or CVV codes during purchase.

You're also covered for any unauthorised transactions providing you haven't been negligent with your info... so your're good mate
That's good. All my passwords with Overclockers are now 256 characters in length!

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

None of this was PayPal's fault. You can avoid the fallout from future attacks and leaks by using a password manager (LastPass, 1Password, etc) to generate complex passwords.

Back
Top Bottom