Something more traditional?

Soldato
Is there anything around on the market that doesn't look like it's just been ripped out of a chavved up Vauxhall Corsa and bolted to an office chair base?

Something a bit simpler and more classy looking possibly.

Soldato
I have a nice Ikea chair, "Malkolm" and a respectable £55. I have it in the brown leather effect which they don't seem to sell any more which is shame because it's quite nice.

It's very comfortable considering it's price.

Associate
i too would love to know if there a good chair out there that doesn't look like something from the future or a boy racer chair

Soldato
Sounds like you want a "Gaming" chair without all the "Gaming" guff/stuff, ie "designed by gamers, for gamers"... which to my understanding means you want a normal office chair.

Check out some online office shops, in particular the chairs designed for 24-hour use on control desks and the like. They'll have the same kind of support with the same, if not more, adjustability.

Alternatively, if you cannot abide chavved-up Corsas, do what I've done and rip the seat out of a nice comfy BMW!! :D

Associate
The Ikea Markus is good too and not too steep - though at 6'1" I'm pushing the upper boundary of it as the headrest is barely clear of my shoulders (though I think I've got a longer body and shorter legs than many 6'1" people so who knows)

Associate
These are gaming chairs so they have varying levels of "trim"

It sounds like you want a normal office chair though, if you want something of high quality then consider Herman Miller. Their prices are also just as high as their quality though

Associate
If "simple" and "classy looking" are the top priority, I recommend getting an Eames office chair replica. You can get a good replica (£400+ with real leather) or a cheap replica (£50-150 with PU leather), their prices vary a lot.

Associate
Would be nice if OCUK stocked more classic chairs that hit good quality at reasonable price. Rather then a lot of the dirt cheap office chairs vs Millers (Which I'm not of fan of the one I owned)

The chav chairs are cringe for the anyone older then teens.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Presently testing an Ikea chair like this:
is-the-ikea-poang-chair-useful-in-a-sensory-diet-21309086.jpg

Jury's still out on whether it's the right solution.
For one thing, needs the use of arm covers to allow me to rest the wooden board I'm using to hold my HOTAS and keyboard. So it's not perfect.

I'm thinking of a s/h Ekornes, like this:
chelsea575x465.jpg

Clearly can't use the footstool as I'll be using my CH pedals. All the same, you get the gist. Going to keep working with the Ikea a few more days, then might scour Ebay.

Caporegime
There isn't really a huge market for "mid priced" office chairs though - at least not from what I've seen. There are the generic plywood seat dumped on top of a chinese pressed steel base types which pretty much everything uses, or there's Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale. Even a £200-£300 chair is likely to use the same garbage bases as a £60 fake leather thing from Staples, and more than likely put the arm rests too far forward as well.

Komac are probably the closest I have seen to a quality 'cheaper' product.

Back
Top Bottom