Sonic Mania

Soldato
I was really hyped for this. Sonic 1-3/k and even the 8bit ones were my life and the reason for my sega collection But the more i see of this the more it just looks like so much has been added for the sake of it. I hope I am wrong.

Soldato
I bought it a refunded it. It was ok. It was sonic but I was expecting to see some new stages and decent full screen support.
Full screen was just blury

Might buy in sale...

Soldato
There are new stages, I think even the second stage is new? Then the Act 2 of each stage is a remix of the original.

It is blurry because the pixel art is still a low resolution and the FOV remains the same which means blow up pixels. It is rendering at the full resolution but the base art is low res.

Associate
This is just such a poor platformer in comparison to rayman legends + mario and the original sonics.

It's a different style of game to Rayman and Mario, but I'm curious why you think this is very poor compared to the original Sonic games?

Associate
No it isn't its different, different strokes for different folkes.
It plays great, runs great and if I'd not read about it I wouldnt have a clue that the DRM is even there.
Thats the whole point. We already know Denovo is malware. Another iteration of Secure-rom which was proven to destroy hardware. We can pretty much assume denovo will be doing the same.

Soldato
It's a different style of game to Rayman and Mario, but I'm curious why you think this is very poor compared to the original Sonic games?

Oh I know it's a different style of game, I played sonics non stop growing up. I replayed all them recently inc sonic cd which is probably my fave ( along with replaying the rayman games / mario's / kirby..etc with the mrs)and I never got bored but in mania the level construction just doesn't flow, I find them dull with lame trap placement. Titan monarch is quite possibly the worst levels in any platform game i've ever played. I know it's been highly praised and received mainly favourable reviews but I don't get it myself. I like the direction they have chosen with the style and it has some fun elements but it's lacking consistency.

Associate
Thats the whole point. We already know Denovo is malware. Another iteration of Secure-rom which was proven to destroy hardware. We can pretty much assume denovo will be doing the same.

How is Denovo malware? It's DRM which is always a controversial issue, and in this case Sonic Mania's delay seems to be attributed to it's addition, which in itself seems like a silly move. Why delay a game for two weeks losing the launch hype to add costly and unpopular DRM which can now be cracked relatively swiftly? It seems a wrong headed move and to actually cost them more (and also created a news item in itself). How can you leap to the conclusion Denovo is destroying hardware? No-one likes it, especially for the perceived performance hit, but is it actually damaging? I have yet to see solid proof of that, other than for game historians.

Associate
How is Denovo malware? It's DRM which is always a controversial issue, and in this case Sonic Mania's delay seems to be attributed to it's addition, which in itself seems like a silly move. Why delay a game for two weeks losing the launch hype to add costly and unpopular DRM which can now be cracked relatively swiftly? It seems a wrong headed move and to actually cost them more (and also created a news item in itself). How can you leap to the conclusion Denovo is destroying hardware? No-one likes it, especially for the perceived performance hit, but is it actually damaging? I have yet to see solid proof of that, other than for game historians.
Pretty much agree with what you said. The issues with Sonic Mania has been hilarious. I mean the the devs had no say in implementing Denuvo. (https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/902573147592900608) What on earth were Sega thinking?

Back
Top Bottom