Sony HT A9 impressions?

Associate
OP
All your reviews seem to be be so positive!! Which is great.
Yeah it's really great! I will say though I don't feel like a get the sense of all 12 phantom channels. I would say it's a very convincing 7 channels with the proper front 2 and centre and its convincing to the side and behind you. I do get a very wide sound stage at the front of the tv, it sounds like the sounds are really spreading out from the tv and across it at the front. I'd also say I'm not quite at that "blown away" level just yet. However I'm using this in a flat where I have to keep the volume low and don't have the sub.........with the sub and ability to pump it up loud I can see it climbing up to that blown away level!

Soldato
Yeah it's really great! I will say though I don't feel like a get the sense of all 12 phantom channels. I would say it's a very convincing 7 channels with the proper front 2 and centre and its convincing to the side and behind you. I do get a very wide sound stage at the front of the tv, it sounds like the sounds are really spreading out from the tv and across it at the front. I'd also say I'm not quite at that "blown away" level just yet. However I'm using this in a flat where I have to keep the volume low and don't have the sub.........with the sub and ability to pump it up loud I can see it climbing up to that blown away level!

I suppose it's difficult to pinpoint where the phantom channels should be exactly, seeing how we can't see them :D Obviously you can follow the sound very precisely which is the main thing. Like previous setups I've had where say a spaceship goes from front to rear, you have that drop off sound in the middle, where as this glides all the way from the front to exiting behind me without losing it at all.

I've also noticed I'm hearing a lot more detail which I never could on the Sonos setup. Take the original blade runner scene where it's raining and he's waiting to order his food (near the start of movie). There's more voices, footsteps, sounds in general just going on.

While the movie is proper looooool, watched Moonfall last night and that makes good use of the sound. Plan to revisit Gravity tonight as that sounded very good on the Sonos, so should be very good on the Sony. Also need to make time for Hobbits and LOTR movies again.

Associate
OP
I suppose it's difficult to pinpoint where the phantom channels should be exactly, seeing how we can't see them :D Obviously you can follow the sound very precisely which is the main thing. Like previous setups I've had where say a spaceship goes from front to rear, you have that drop off sound in the middle, where as this glides all the way from the front to exiting behind me without losing it at all.

I've also noticed I'm hearing a lot more detail which I never could on the Sonos setup. Take the original blade runner scene where it's raining and he's waiting to order his food (near the start of movie). There's more voices, footsteps, sounds in general just going on.

While the movie is proper looooool, watched Moonfall last night and that makes good use of the sound. Plan to revisit Gravity tonight as that sounded very good on the Sonos, so should be very good on the Sony. Also need to make time for Hobbits and LOTR movies again.
Yeah this is very true! Been watching various star wars films and ships passing over head or from one side to another sound great and you can follow them all the way which is awesome!
Coming from tv speakers and listening to my dad's 5.1 occasionally I agree with the added detail, so good!
Yeah going to be watching Blade Runner (both), LOTR, Dark Knight and Dunkirk in 4k Blu ray :D also planning on getting all the John Wick movies and 1917 as well.

Associate
OP

Yeah this is very true! Been watching various star wars films and ships passing over head or from one side to another sound great and you can follow them all the way which is awesome!
Coming from tv speakers and listening to my dad's 5.1 occasionally I agree with the added detail, so good!
Yeah going to be watching Blade Runner (both), LOTR, Dark Knight and Dunkirk in 4k Blu ray :D also planning on getting all the John Wick movies and 1917 as well!

Soldato
So these have been out for a couple years now and yet they still have the same issue they had at launch, audio drop outs

Linus has finally had enough and got rid of his and replaced it with a wired system

I do find it quite odd Sony didn't give the ht-a9 a backup wired option, it's a big oversight. Other premium wireless systems
Still retain the ability to be wired just in case you have an issue with audio then your system isn't completely useless. My Sonos system has this and it was cheaper than the ht-a9, and while I've never had to use it, it does the option to wire up every speaker and send the data over wires instead

Last edited:
Soldato
I never had any issues with drop outs what so ever, just couldn't get on with the phantom center channel and Sony's sub. Would have gone wired myself but cba with the hassle anymore and had a little on the way at the time so wife wouldn't have been happy spending loads on a system, hah! Settled for the Sennheiser Ambeo plus in the end and even without rears it just sounds miles better than the Sony did. Rears are rumoured for Q1 2024, so will see what happens.

Associate
2 years of daily use and no drop outs. Wouldn’t trust a word Linus says anymore.

It’s a device for people who don’t want or can’t wire.

Has worked perfectly for me throughout.

Soldato
Looks like Linus upgraded ;) the left and right bit too high also worth using matching center.

Agree with option of wired on the Sony also in case of future support maybe not all hd streams can be sent wireless so if wireless run out of bandwidth use wired

Soldato
So these have been out for a couple years now and yet they still have the same issue they had at launch, audio drop outs

Linus has finally had enough and got rid of his and replaced it with a wired system

I do find it quite odd Sony didn't give the ht-a9 a backup wired option, it's a big oversight. Other premium wireless systems
Still retain the ability to be wired just in case you have an issue with audio then your system isn't completely useless. My Sonos system has this and it was cheaper than the ht-a9, and while I've never had to use it, it does the option to wire up every speaker and send the data over wires instead
I used to have the occasional drop outs when I first got it (near launch) but they sorted it out via firmware updates very long ago. I've not changed anything at all on my end, everything still where it is, same ASUS wifi mesh system etc all in the same place and it never drops out now.

Would not surprise me if he put this wireless system in just to create this 1 planned piece of content a year or two later. At the end of the day content creation is his raison d'etre.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thread resurrection. Would love to hear some thoughts of the members who have had this system for some time now.

Got a gen 1 Sonos soundbar, pair of Play 1 rears and the sub. Had them for over 10 years. Looking to upgrade my LG OLED which is starting to show some signs of coming towards the end of its life and would like to upgrade the sound system too. I have Sonos gear all over the house and I love it but I just haven't been blown away by it as a home theatre system. No matter how much I tinker with it I just can't get good speech clarity and of late have had some sound stuttering issues that I fix by unplugging and then replugging the power to the soundbar and then waiting for it to come back online. I don't listen to music on it so don't mind it being separate from my sonos home eco system and be more controllable from a remote rather than having my phone in front of my face.

I'm looking at a Bravia TV (to act as the center) but they only have 2 HDMI inputs. I need 3. Xbox, PS5 and my Foxtel (Aussie Sky) box. One thing I would like to know is, does the HDMI in on the Sony controller box act as a third HDMI in slot for the TV? And controllable from a single remote? Would probably clinch it for me if so. I know you can get switcher boxes but don't really want an extra remote control to further clutter things up.
I intended to buy the sub too if I go ahead with it. Are there any alternatives? I don't mind traditional amp and speakers (as amp will give me more than 2 HDMI's), can wire the fronts but rears need to be wireless. Noted someone above ditched it and went with the Ambeo. The Max is on sale for a substantial saving at the moment. Additional 10% on top too for first time customers on the Sennheiser site.

Soldato
Thread resurrection. Would love to hear some thoughts of the members who have had this system for some time now.

Got a gen 1 Sonos soundbar, pair of Play 1 rears and the sub. Had them for over 10 years. Looking to upgrade my LG OLED which is starting to show some signs of coming towards the end of its life and would like to upgrade the sound system too. I have Sonos gear all over the house and I love it but I just haven't been blown away by it as a home theatre system. No matter how much I tinker with it I just can't get good speech clarity and of late have had some sound stuttering issues that I fix by unplugging and then replugging the power to the soundbar and then waiting for it to come back online. I don't listen to music on it so don't mind it being separate from my sonos home eco system and be more controllable from a remote rather than having my phone in front of my face.

I'm looking at a Bravia TV (to act as the center) but they only have 2 HDMI inputs. I need 3. Xbox, PS5 and my Foxtel (Aussie Sky) box. One thing I would like to know is, does the HDMI in on the Sony controller box act as a third HDMI in slot for the TV? And controllable from a single remote? Would probably clinch it for me if so. I know you can get switcher boxes but don't really want an extra remote control to further clutter things up.
I intended to buy the sub too if I go ahead with it. Are there any alternatives? I don't mind traditional amp and speakers (as amp will give me more than 2 HDMI's), can wire the fronts but rears need to be wireless. Noted someone above ditched it and went with the Ambeo. The Max is on sale for a substantial saving at the moment. Additional 10% on top too for first time customers on the Sennheiser site.

Yeah, you can use the hdmi port on the box to act as your 'third' port. The system wasnt too bad, it was more the actual sound quality itself. It does a very good job with the sound bubble and does create spatialness very well, however, it was the actual sound quality itself was just very lackluster. When you compare it with the Sennheiser Ambeo you realise just how bad it sounded and I personally couldn't get on with the phantom center channel. I also didn't like Sony's sub which is another bonus element of Sennheiser and being able to use any sub you like. I didn't get the Max, went for the Plus but have it paired with a Kef KC62 and even without the rears just due to the actual sound quality itself it sounds far more cinematic.

The new Sony receivers let you use their rear speakers and subwoofer wirelessly with wired fronts etc but personally it would be too much of a mismatch as you'll have decent equipment up front let down by the rears and sub. I'd maybe 100% evaluate that you can't get rears wired in, otherwise without a doubt I'd go for the Sennheiser Max/Plus and pair it with a decent subwoofer.

Soldato
Yeah, you can use the hdmi port on the box to act as your 'third' port. The system wasnt too bad, it was more the actual sound quality itself. It does a very good job with the sound bubble and does create spatialness very well, however, it was the actual sound quality itself was just very lackluster. When you compare it with the Sennheiser Ambeo you realise just how bad it sounded and I personally couldn't get on with the phantom center channel. I also didn't like Sony's sub which is another bonus element of Sennheiser and being able to use any sub you like. I didn't get the Max, went for the Plus but have it paired with a Kef KC62 and even without the rears just due to the actual sound quality itself it sounds far more cinematic.

The new Sony receivers let you use their rear speakers and subwoofer wirelessly with wired fronts etc but personally it would be too much of a mismatch as you'll have decent equipment up front let down by the rears and sub. I'd maybe 100% evaluate that you can't get rears wired in, otherwise without a doubt I'd go for the Sennheiser Max/Plus and pair it with a decent subwoofer.
Thanks for that. I really want the new Bravia which can act as a centre so it may improve on your experience. I'm not 100% set on the AT H9 however it is the only thing I have found that addresses all my issues. Rears have to be wireless. New renovation at home and would have to run the cables below the new timber floors which is an absolute non starter.
To go with a soundbar would mean HDMI switcher box and a phone app. I'm going to have to make a compromise somewhere.

Soldato
Thanks for that. I really want the new Bravia which can act as a centre so it may improve on your experience. I'm not 100% set on the AT H9 however it is the only thing I have found that addresses all my issues. Rears have to be wireless. New renovation at home and would have to run the cables below the new timber floors which is an absolute non starter.
To go with a soundbar would mean HDMI switcher box and a phone app. I'm going to have to make a compromise somewhere.

I'd suggest go try have a store demo of it if you can. While I didn't get on with the phantom center, I've heard it with the TV acting as the center and it sounded even worse to me. (end of the day it's still TV speakers). It might be better with the newer models as this was an older one. Unless your heart is also set on a Sony TV, then something like an LG has all 2.1 ports so you could just plug everything directly into the TV, especially as you have two games consoles i'd definitely be waiting for the G4 to come out.

If you aren't in any rush either, then there should be news about the new Klipsch Flexus bars due in April. They have the 100 and 200 series bars on the way first but there's going to be a 300 bar to replace the 1200 series which will have a sub out port and 4 hdmi 2.1 ports (1 will be the eARC port). Utilising Onkyo for the software and the fact that the bars are going to have Dirac calibration software built in, it's going to be a pretty decent bar. Also states they will have 45 combinations so maybe they'll allow you to mix and match their other speakers into the mix, who knows... They are due out soon so sure we will have more information in a few weeks.

Soldato
I'd suggest go try have a store demo of it if you can. While I didn't get on with the phantom center, I've heard it with the TV acting as the center and it sounded even worse to me. (end of the day it's still TV speakers). It might be better with the newer models as this was an older one. Unless your heart is also set on a Sony TV, then something like an LG has all 2.1 ports so you could just plug everything directly into the TV, especially as you have two games consoles i'd definitely be waiting for the G4 to come out.

If you aren't in any rush either, then there should be news about the new Klipsch Flexus bars due in April. They have the 100 and 200 series bars on the way first but there's going to be a 300 bar to replace the 1200 series which will have a sub out port and 4 hdmi 2.1 ports (1 will be the eARC port). Utilising Onkyo for the software and the fact that the bars are going to have Dirac calibration software built in, it's going to be a pretty decent bar. Also states they will have 45 combinations so maybe they'll allow you to mix and match their other speakers into the mix, who knows... They are due out soon so sure we will have more information in a few weeks.

Yep, no real rush. New Bravia seems to be getting some amazing reviews but I can wait and see how the G4 plays out. I am keen to reduce the amount of remotes we have and move away from phone app based volume control etc. I spend too much time with that thing in my hand. There are alos a couple of apps I use that the LG no longer supports (or they don't support the older LG) so have to use them through one of the consoles and it's becoming a pain but hardly life threatening.
Will eagerly await news on the Klipsch!

Thanks for the help.

Soldato

I am still rocking my HT-A9 with my SW-5 sub. Similar to you, right now I cannot get rears wired. Works great. I came from Sony ST5000 soundbar before. Don't think I could ever go back to virtual surround sound from a soundbar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom