Sony TV and Android

Soldato
I am about to buy a new TV and had planned to get a Samsung and a TV box for Kodi.

However, I now see that you can install Kodi directly on the Android OS on Sony TVs. Is there any downside to this that I am missing? I will only use the TV for Kodi and PlayStation so it seems like a sensible choice.

Does anyone else do this and does Kodi run okay and play 4K content?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I do see mixed reviews... some people love it, but there do seem to be issues. I thought later revisions had resolved some of those, but I'm sure some still remain. Best to make sure you're looking at comments for the most recent sets and updated. They are always updating software/firmware (just as with PC's) so what you may think is a problem may have been fixed.

Soldato
I've had 2 Philips android TV's, the first one (2015 model) had lots of bugs/issues, the second one which I'm using now (2016 model) doesn't have any of the issues/bugs of the previous model and it runs great..i do prefer the android tv OS over WebOS, etc

also i use Kodi app on it which runs and performances great

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not "down right broken", don't listen to hysterical hyperbole.

Yes there are bugs and problems but, if you're prepared to put up with a few niggles, it's a very flexible and powerful system. I've not installed Kodi on mine as I have no interest in it but the Netflix, Amazon Prime and PLEX apps all work superbly. It's also the best Youtube player I've seen.

Caporegime
sony are dropping android in December. So no support or updates after that.

so I would avoid it like the plague.

buy a decent tv and a decent 3rd party android box.

Soldato
I think the android operating system on my 4K Sony is pretty decent. The early ones had issues but regular firmware updates have improved it dramatically. I have the odd issue but generally speaking I'm really happy with it.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother. I've had a Sony Bravia '15 since launch and I wish I had just gone with a decent panel and external Android box.

The UI is extremely unresponsive, my Sony touch remote decided to randomly disconnect now and then and takes multiple attempts to get it to connect again. Every YouTube clip I've watched on it lags for a good 10 seconds. Plus if you search for clips on the TV, your YouTube search history will be full of searches for individual string characters. I.e if you search for Hello, your search history on mobile will have a search for h, e, l, l and o.

There's also wide spread reports of input lag on 4K content being provided by BT and SkyQ boxes. A fix has been released but there are reports it doesn't actually help. Sony also haven't really admit they have fixed it either, the change log for the firmware states "reduce" not fix the issues.

This is on top of all the half hearted implementations of HDD recoring, YouView and the non YouView channel guide. The sets actually launched with some of these advertised features missing and when they were released, they came with surprise downfalls. E.g activating YouView would disable the standard tuner.

Soldato
I am at war with sony over my 2016 android tv.

They never call back and make promises but never keep them. They admit the issues with android are totally tv breaking ones but refuse to just give me my £1500 back so I can buy literally any other tv.

The UI just packs up and crashes all the time, the interface is slow and unintuitive and the signal of anything you plug in as a 4k device such as pc, sky q, bt vision of which I have all 3 hooked up have stupid picture breakup which even the latest update does not fix at all.

There is one sony tv without the issues of all the others and that is the amazing ZD9 but it's too big and too costly.

Caporegime
links?

i did a search but couldn't find anything stating that

http://www.talkandroid.com/295475-dont-be-upset-android-tv-is-dying-google-cast-is-where-its-at/

android tv is dead.

forget OS's just buy a decent tv and a 3rd party smart box. you can pick them up for like £25 for a cheap box and £60-£100 for top of the range. hardly worth picking a crap tv for. pick the best tv and buy a decent smart box.

i have 3 different OS's. Android on my sony and i never use it apart from 1 app. Panasonic smart tv systema dn i never use it ever I have a 4k fire tv connected to this tv and use that instead. WebOS on my LG and this one I do use, it's very slick but it's also the newest and most expensive tv out the lot.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not "down right broken", don't listen to hysterical hyperbole.

There is a lot of that and advice from people who've not seen it in action so to be taken with a pinch of salt. The latest models are good.

I think the android operating system on my 4K Sony is pretty decent. The early ones had issues but regular firmware updates have improved it dramatically. I have the odd issue but generally speaking I'm really happy with it.

Another who is happy with it.

It's very good on our 4K Sony (April model), fast, stable and we don't have any issues with it.

Soldato
It's very good on our 4K Sony (April model), fast, stable and we don't have any issues with it.

Yep, same model here and same experience. Very flexible system and works well. Yes every now and then it has a bit of a brain-fart but it's hardly a major issue.

There's been a lot of stick levelled at Sony of late, both for the Android system and the 'juddering' issue with Sky Q but neither have been deal-breakers for me and the latter appears now fixed, touch wood. These issues aside, the fact remains that the 2016 model Sonys are some of the best out there in terms of straight performance. Their 4K and HDR performance is stunning and Sony's motion processing is second to none. I did a lot of side by side comparisons before I bought mine, the main competitor being the Samsung KS8000, but the Sony won out. I'm prepared to put up with a few minor niggles to get the best quality I can.

I also love the skewed perspectives at work on forums such as these. Everyone is so happy to throw mud at Sony for their products' issues yet if you even dare to mention any of the well-documented deficiencies of OLED technology, you're labelled as a pariah :rolleyes:

No set or technology is perfect, we all make our own judgments on what's most important to us.

Soldato
I use mine for Plex connected to my server in the loft, Kodi and amazon prime. Maybe I'm not making the most of it but it does everything I require from a TV.

I watched the grand tour in 4k through the TV and it was very impressive. Perhaps other people have more sophisticated needs and that's where it falls down?

Soldato
There is a lot of that and advice from people who've not seen it in action so to be taken with a pinch of salt. The latest models are good.

Another who is happy with it.

Agree
Android is great on my Sony 75x9405c. I side load lots of apps :)

Soldato
OP
Well that opened a can of worms. :D The comments in that Talk Android link make for interesting reading too.

From what I've seen it seems that the 2016 Sony TVs are much better than the 2015 with lots of good customer reviews. I found out a friend bought one earlier this year and has had no issues.

Still undecided but am leaning towards the Sony at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom