• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sorry fellow AMD guys but!

Associate
Well the good news is my monitor turned up this morning :D (unbelievable difference btw)

And your right not a huge difference in FPS. BF4 looks awesome. Quite impressed.

Down side is still not decided on MB/cpu though.

Dont use/need GC access , USB is handy though. So the 4770 would be fine for Vbox then(basic usage that is)?

I used a 4670k with VirtualBox. Everything works just fine, as VirtualBox itself does not support Passthrough etc. anyway. I think only VMware professional does.

You can still use USB's and stuff, it is just done in a different way.

Soldato
Im not finding my FX and 290 bad at 1080p, gets playable frame rates in everything Ive played, including terribly threaded games (WoT) - still get the occasional drop, but usually does well. Its brilliant in bf4, no problems at all.

Definitely think its worth the price.

I'm finding it completely fine in any game.

Soldato
At the moment I'm getting a bit of stuttering in Titanfall during heavy action on screen. I've not yet checked the CPU performance but I doubt my 8320 would be the problem. It's probably GPU issues. This is all at 1080p with Insane textures. I've got a 7950 with no OC running on it.

Soldato
OP
At the moment I'm getting a bit of stuttering in Titanfall during heavy action on screen. I've not yet checked the CPU performance but I doubt my 8320 would be the problem. It's probably GPU issues. This is all at 1080p with Insane textures. I've got a 7950 with no OC running on it.

Did'nt think titanfall was that GPU hungry tbh, but never played much of the beta so retail may be different.

PS2 on a 290/£300+ class GPU's should fly , It's not got what you call the best graphics, even on release, Its the CPU overhead that seems to drag it down I suspect due to been a MMO.

Anyone with a 290 and a 4770 give a insight to what you're getting FPS wise?

Pretty much made my mind up to go Intel, decided on a 4770k with a Asus R6 Formula. Thought I'd give a asus board a go.

Thoughts?

Associate

I can't remember 100% but when I looked at my GPU usage in Titanfall it was not that high on my 280X. I unfortunately lagged a fair bit on insane textures even though the usage of the CPU/GPU did not change that much. I backed the insane textures off to high and the majority of the lagging has gone.

Associate
Ive been playing ps2 today on my 8350 and not had any problems... Haven't compared it to my flatmates 4670k but getting solid, playable fps. Not sure on specifics but much more playable than a lot of other games I've been playing (World of tanks...)

Soldato
It's the minimum frame rate that really suffers with the AMD CPU's on this game. Please bare in mind I have NOT tried the game since they released the big performance patch a few months back, so this may have changed things a bit. Intel chips do much better in this particular game though.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's the minimum frame rate that really suffers with the AMD CPU's on this game. Please bare in mind I have NOT tried the game since they released the big performance patch a few months back, so this may have changed things a bit. Intel chips do much better in this particular game though.

The patch made a big difference. Settings were cranked up much more and it still played well. Not played it since BF4 started to get patched and mantle arrived though.

Associate
If you can wait (though I'll be honest I don't know exactly when we will be able to buy them), I'd wait for Haswell-E and X99 platform to be released.
That should give you great system longevity, just like we did with the X58 platform.

Soldato
The x99 2011 socket will cost your soul. Not just premium price for motherboards and CPU's which are labeled for the enthusiast but a huge premium on DDR4, I imagine much bigger than the premium of quad channel RAM when it was first released.

I expect a x99 set up to be able to pay for a 4770k rig and its next step up a few years down the line.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I agree with him though, FX to 4770k isnt humongous enough unless you absolutely need it right now. Surely the FX running VM's etc is more than capable and saving some cash for either a good second hand deal or a newer iteration of tech (considering intel's dont really drop much in price from release) is a sensible choice?

Permabanned
Get a used 2600k or 3770k.... You can upgrade then for dirt cheap.

I managed to get a used 5Ghz 3770k for £170 and a brand new Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 board for £111 ( Board at released was £400+ )

So less then £300 notes for a stupid fast Intel system

Soldato
I agree with him though, FX to 4770k isnt humongous enough unless you absolutely need it right now. Surely the FX running VM's etc is more than capable and saving some cash for either a good second hand deal or a newer iteration of tech (considering intel's dont really drop much in price from release) is a sensible choice?

Yeah second hand bundle is the way to go. Was just using the 4770k as an example of the amount of cash the x99 will likely cost. TBH fx 8320 for 1080p is fine. My 4770k upgrade was for benching and because i already own a ton of working fx 8 core rigs, thought i could survive with one less and a 4770k :D

2600k/2700k would get my vote. This 1150 socket thing is ticking me off. New K processors are not compatible with z87 boards on the haswell refresh, just non 'k' ones apparently. If this is true, intel have just purposely locked me out from trying the new K chips, as the new motherboards don't actually offer anything over Z87 it seems and i am not prepared to pay up for no performance boost. I am just interested in how effective their changes were to clockers.

Caporegime
Given the back and forth of "It's compatible/It's not compatible" I'd wait till they're out and about Avenged.

The new motherboards do actually offer something, that M2 or whatever it's called for SSD's, 50% boost apparently with this new interface.

We've went from "Nothing's compatible" to "Everything's compatible" to "Everything but what you want is compatible".

If it turns out that Intel's decided to go ahead and so something so stupid, then they absolutely deserve the hate. Just not prematurely (We get tons of scaremongering with Intel stuff on tech sites, 9/10 times it's wrong)

Not that I think the refresh's worth waiting over to be honest, unless this new TIM stuff is more than hyperbole, but I'd be surprised if it is. Haswell had Intel hyping the OC aspect, look at how that turned out? Pretty pitifully.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That new interface is not worth it for SSD's.... you can barely tell the difference between a SATA 2 and a STA 3 drive when booting and running Windows so any more speed is pointless.

I moved to SSD RAID 0 for my Windows install and honestly It's no faster then a single drive was.

Soldato
I am not seeking performance really, just wanted to do a comparison between 4770k and 4790k to show people how significant or insignificant the difference is.

Looks like i have to wait regardless anyway :)

Didn't know about the SSD thing though, sounds interesting.

Soldato
OP
Been hanging off for the refresh, but like A7F have said I will need to sell a kidney !!!!

Currently designing a water cooled PC desk :D well trying too ;) So thats holding me off anyway.

More I read though it's looking like a mediocre update. The DDR4 memory will be extortionate too.

Pretty much going to stick with the M6F and a 4770 like i've been aiming for since last response/post.

Back
Top Bottom