• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sorry fellow AMD guys but!

Soldato
OP
Well, ignore my last post :rolleyes:

I've just pulled the trigger on a 4790k(pre order) and a Asus z97 Sabertooth mark1 to put it in. :eek:

Liked the look of it :o (I'll be buying shoes next...) , but the warranty with it kl-inched it.

Off now to see if I can sell my liver/kidney/right arm to pay for it ! :(

ps. mmm, how do I explain this to the mrs.... :confused:

Caporegime
Interestingly, I said ;

Not that I think the refresh's worth waiting over to be honest, unless this new TIM stuff is more than hyperbole, but I'd be surprised if it is. Haswell had Intel hyping the OC aspect, look at how that turned out? Pretty pitifully.

27th March, referring to Intel's DC.

I take heat for being a supposed Intel fanboy/AMD hater, this that and the other. But here we go, me making a guess, and given all we've seen from DC, I was absolutely spot on. We've barely seen any OC'ing improvement over Haswell with these ES's of DC.

Associate
I fancy one of those new i7's too, I have had nothing but AMD since my ols Athlon XP 220. may well pull the trigger on an Intel system this weekend and I feel kind of dirty, betraying an old friend after all these years. I have only an AM3 mobo so am not able to just fit a 8 series cpu and I am not buying a AM3+ mobo at this stage

Soldato
I take heat for being a supposed Intel fanboy/AMD hater, this that and the other. But here we go, me making a guess, and given all we've seen from DC, I was absolutely spot on. We've barely seen any OC'ing improvement over Haswell with these ES's of DC.

A lot of people will bash others for disagreeing with them. Its sad that forums such as these are filled with people who cannot see products and the opinions regarding these products for what they are. Objectivity is usually lost and switched out with "Im using X brand and it works for me so therefor nothing is ever wrong with it and it works for everyone else and if it doesnt you are a noob".

I was told several times that i was hallucinating the improvement i had in games when switching over to my i7 from my FX-8350. Ive heard stuff like that if it runs over 60 average i had no need to switch (include random name calling). When i made the switch to my nvidia 780 i was apparently a fanboy. All the same things happened from the other camp when i told what things i liked about AMD when i was running that, things i still like btw. So i guess my point is i understand where you are coming from.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I don't think in Martini's case he is an AMD hater or necessarily an Intel fanboy. What people are poor at is the way they portray the detail.

A good example is recently humbug posted the difference between a phenom and the FX then added their opinion - (he didn't have to but he did).

Others tend to make judgement on hardware without actually running that hardware. So for example in this case, mentioning that you will have 'considerable' improvements going from an FX to an i5 processor is subjective to not just your perceived opinion of that improvement, but also a placebo effect of I want this cpu to perform better because it's meant to.

Soldato
To
I don't think in Martini's case he is an AMD hater or necessarily an Intel fanboy. What people are poor at is the way they portray the detail.

A good example is recently humbug posted the difference between a phenom and the FX then added their opinion - (he didn't have to but he did).

Others tend to make judgement on hardware without actually running that hardware. So for example in this case, mentioning that you will have 'considerable' improvements going from an FX to an i5 processor is subjective to not just your perceived opinion of that improvement, but also a placebo effect of I want this cpu to perform better because it's meant to.

If he provided data of fps, gpu and cpu usage and compared a wide range of applications and games between the Intel and AMD systems then whether it's his perceived opinion or not, the conclusion is based on the results obtained. Unfortunately not so many people are interested or capable of looking at the greater details, most views are based on review sites.
speaking for myself I'm not one for throwing money at every new hardware that pops up, hence I'm still on a 2600k and an fx8320. I had no interest whatsoever in ivy or Haswell. The reason is my 2600k still provides all the performance I need. I have both systems and as mentioned before the Intel does provide better performance, but it's not always such a gain that's worth worrying about.

Soldato
The DC chips do seem to have more resistors(or something like that on the board),supposedly to help with power delivery.

5pDIVN9.jpg

It does seem a lot of effort on the part of Intel for a relatively small gain.

But I do wonder if its mainly for the Core i7 4790K which does look more and more like a pre-overclocked SKU??

Associate
The reason AMD performance on Planetside 2 is so lacklustre is because it's so poorly threaded. AFAIK it can only properly utilise 2 cores or threads. Hence why an i3 has similar peformance to the FX chips.

This is almost certain to change, however, since the PS4 release is drawing near you can be damned sure the engine has been updated to fully stress 6+ cores. I'd expect an update to the game some time before PS4 release which will improve performance markedly across the board, and hugely on AMD CPUs.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The reason AMD performance on Planetside 2 is so lacklustre is because it's so poorly threaded. AFAIK it can only properly utilise 2 cores or threads. Hence why an i3 has similar peformance to the FX chips.

This is almost certain to change, however, since the PS4 release is drawing near you can be damned sure the engine has been updated to fully stress 6+ cores. I'd expect an update to the game some time before PS4 release which will improve performance markedly across the board, and hugely on AMD CPUs.

PS2 performed well on my FX however this was after the major patch 'make faster game' or whatever it was coined. I managed to get hold of two 7770's for my core2duo system which was around a 7850 I reckon. I transferred these over to the FX when I built that and the PS2 performance was far better with the same cards.

Would be interesting if someone could capture the current FX performance and compare it to after the patch your speaking of pmc25.

^ Capacitors CAT. Bottom arrow.
:D

Back
Top Bottom