1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound card vs motherboard audio

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by PAULRYAN52, Sep 7, 2018.

1. PAULRYAN52

Wise Guy

hi i have the Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K5 and Ruark Audio MR1 V1 speakers using the onboard audio, would I notice any difference going to a dedicated sound card?

2. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

How are you connecting them to your motherboard?

3. PAULRYAN52

Wise Guy

aux cable to green connection

4. EsaT

Mobster

5. PAULRYAN52

Wise Guy

so not worth it really as I don't hear any interference that I know of

6. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

I would try and connect using optical instead. That will use the speakers internal dac instead and you may find it is better.

7. PAULRYAN52

Wise Guy

the speakers don't have optical that got added to the mr1 mk2 version I have the mk1 version unfortunately

8. Marsman

Capodecina

One of those things that is hard to say, because the one variable that cannot be accounted for is the user's hearing. Hearing and experience differ quite a bit from person to person, so you can't really say whether buying a sound card or a DAC would be worth the money, until you try one for yourself.

You'll get people say they heard no difference compared to their motherboard audio, just as you'll get people who say there was a notable improvement.

If you are curious and want to scratch an itch, then what you could do is get a DAC or sound card from somewhere that would be easy to return it if you find there is no notable difference.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  9. EsaT

Mobster

You forgot to put sighted listening in end.
    Sighted listening just isn't scientifically valid proof in any slightest way.
    Even if proper volume matching was actually done.

10. tyler_jrb

Mobster

Agreed with Marsman. It can all depend on the user. Some may find more of a difference than others.

I upgraded to a xonar essence STX II a few years ago and can honestly say I couldn't live without it.

Tried onboard a couple of times with different headphones and speakers and the difference is night and day to me anyway. Onboard just sounds flat.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  11. Huntyz

Gangster

Yeah i have had an STX and currently use a STX II with expensive headphones and i can clearly tell the sound card has better audio.

But like others have said it varies from person to person and different equipment etc

12. Marsman

Capodecina

Proof or lack of it is irrelevant. Spoffle, I'm sure has offered examples that there is no proof and has been arguing over and over in numerous threads in the hifi section that fancy expensive cables make no difference to sound quality as long as the cable is suitable for the job, but certain audio enthusiasts will have none of it. You will just go round and round until the end of days trying to prove to some people that X isn't any better than Y. People hear what they want to hear.

People should judge for themselves though, not just go on what other's say.

13. slipperydave

Gangster

i'll agree with Marsman. i've never used onboard sound because it just doesn't sound right (bar nVidia's Soundstorm). it is down to the individual though.

14. balanceballs

Associate

Onboard sound is usually ok. I only got a soundcard because of interference

15. JasonM

Wise Guy

I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, and the on-board audio is shocking bad. It totally takes all the life out of the sound, it's like buying a new pair of black Levi 501 jeans accidentally putting them in Daz at 90 degrees and wondering why your new 501's are now grey and faded. Worse then this it has terrible oscillating interference.

The on-board audio from the Z370 HD3P sounds like $5 worth of Chinese audio hardware. I have 90's period CD players from Technics and Pioneer and the sound output is superior in every way compared to listening to music from the on-board. If you care about audio get a sound card or external DAC but don't use the Gigabyte on-board.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 10:19 PM
  16. EsaT

Mobster

Don't you know that writing all that marketing hype to product page costs lot and hence they didn't have budget left for actual implementation?
    Though if using front port of case also that could "suck in" that interference.

17. JasonM

Wise Guy

I was using the rear motherboard ports. I had the motherboard connected to what would be today £500 worth of Pioneer amp, and £800 retail of yamaha speakers. So this setup exposed how poor the onboard was, however if someone connected to one of those cheap 2.0/2.1 setups they would maybe not realise how poor the motherboard audio is.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 11:05 PM
  18. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

I have the MK1 Ruark MR1’s too.

I tried them on my onboard Gene V audio before buying the AE-5 soundcard.

The difference is incredible, if you have a decent source to compare. I couldn’t be happier with the two :)

19. V4NT0M

Capodecina

I tried the onboard Maximus VIII gene sound as it was supposed to be good but IMO it didn't match up to the Xonar I previously had (couldn't use it as it was PCI). I then got a SoundBlaster ZXR and honestly that card is phenomenal.